Fly Fusion Forums

Cycling Thread

Since we were doing such a good job of hijacking Rick's MEC thread.. figured we might as well start an actual Cycling thread. I was going to call it the "Cycling to Work" thread, but that's way too specific. As a new cycling commuter, I'd love to hear any suggestions you more experienced people have!

Got your advice about the breathable clothes Rick. Yeah, would love to hear from you about how it goes when you get them and have used them for awhile.

I found a pretty good website for cycling - bikecalgary.org - that seems to have a tonne of great information, so I'm starting to work my way through it. One of the suggestions I already received was to get a mirror so I can see what the traffic is doing behind me without having to swivel around and look. Just a little thing.. but makes so much sense! I'll have to look for one right away.

Also, during the ride in today, I realized I'm definitely going to have to get a water bottle.. got pretty parched.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate water bottles when riding, much prefer a camel bak. Easier to use, right there when you need it and don't have to take your hands off the handle bars to take a sip.

I have 1 camel bak hydration system that goes between my day hike, snowboarding and bike riding packs. Really easy to switch out and great value.

I would also look at upgrading your seat. Gel seats are pretty sweet in combination with biking shorts. Makes for a much more comfortable day on long rides.

I like the jet boats, if you are ever away from the river you can tell exactly where it is.

And if anyone is commuting in from the south and have found a decent detour around the construction at Inglewood, I'd love to hear it. The approved detour is too damn long. I rode the streets (Ogden Road to 11 st, to 8 ave, then back on trail). It is actually shorter than the paths, but I don't really enjoy riding on Ogden in morning rush hour to tell the truth.

I don't know if this will interest anyone or not, but there is a big race going on in Banff from Thursday to Sunday. For the most part, I am of the opinion that watching bike racing is like watching paint dry. However, the criterium on Saturday night is just about the best free entertainment one can find.

It's 60 laps of a 1km lap in downtown Banff. For those who've never seen such a thing, you'll be shocked at the speed. Add in the most dangerous course I've ever seen and probably some rain to make the roads nice and slick and the bloodsport aspect will only add to the spectacle (I think the red smear I left in front of the theatre last year is still faintly visible).

For info, the main site is here:

http://www.banfflakelouise.com/events-and-...spectator-guide

This is the criterium page (note that the lower categories go first, so the fast boys won't be off until ~8:00):

http://www.banfflakelouise.com/events-and-...tails/criterium

And, finally, reading this would probably help any would-be spectator to know what's going on (just like Nascar, it's all about drafting):

http://www.banfflakelouise.com/events-and-...tails/criterium

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

is that used store still down in AueClear(sp)? im looking for a lightly used bike so i can replace my long board for getting to work.

I have not put gas in my pathfinder for just under 1 month! that in its self was a huge bonus on my paycheck.

I don't know if this will interest anyone or not, but there is a big race going on in Banff from Thursday to Sunday. For the most part, I am of the opinion that watching bike racing is like watching paint dry. However, the criterium on Saturday night is just about the best free entertainment one can find.

that's a funny quote as it shows exactly why crits were created. Criteriums are a north american creation because it is difficult to get spectators (sp) to line a road waiting for the peleton to blast by as they do everywhere else.

Good race to watch

Ride home on Thursday sucked because I hadn't memorized the route and took a couple wrong turns that ended in a dead-end.. had to double back.. plus I went way farther north than I had to! I ended up taking ~1:15 to get home! Checked on Google Maps today and I added an extra ~5km on to my 13km commute home. DOH!

Ride in this morning was quite a bit better.. hoping the ride home is similar. Although.. the ride home is a lot of uphill, just like I thought.

is that used store still down in AueClear(sp)? im looking for a lightly used bike so i can replace my long board for getting to work.

I have not put gas in my pathfinder for just under 1 month! that in its self was a huge bonus on my paycheck.

Yes, the store in in Eau Claire (and my spelling is closer I think, but possibly still not correct). I have used it to do some work a few times now. Great idea, really nice people.

Also, does anyone know if the trails around Douglasdale or Calf Robe are flooded? They get pretty close to the river, and she seemed way up to me again this weekend when I drove over.

PITA day today. I had a really slow leak in my rear tire yesterday afternoon. Made it to the truck Ok, changed out the tube, then spent way way too long trying to reinstall the tire with disc brakes. Totally kicked my ass. Anyway, got that figured out (trial and error with lots of error), and started to ride in this morning in the monsoon. Got about 3-4 KM in and had a flat. Turns out there was a rock shard thru my tread on my tire which caused both flats (but did not learn that until I took the tire to MEC at lunch). So had to make the long walk back to the car, bring the bike home and ride the train in.

On a positive note, my rain gear works perfect. I figured anything that is called weatherproof that comes form the UK would be exactly that. Unfortunately, all the savings were eaten up by duty and "handling fees" by the shipping company. Oh well, I still figure I broke even on the deal.

• 4 weeks later...
Looked at my bike today. Sure is a pretty bike.

Funny!

Been riding pretty consistently and noticing the legs are getting pretty solid again. A few of the hill climbs on the way home suck pretty bad.. but I've been consistently climbing the whole way without having to stop. Gradually being able to do it in higher gears too!

AND NO GRIDLOCK TRAFFIC! That's the best part.

Thinking it will be quite a big help when we do our trip up Barnaby Ridge later this month...

Funny!

Been riding pretty consistently and noticing the legs are getting pretty solid again. A few of the hill climbs on the way home suck pretty bad.. but I've been consistently climbing the whole way without having to stop. Gradually being able to do it in higher gears too!

AND NO GRIDLOCK TRAFFIC! That's the best part.

Thinking it will be quite a big help when we do our trip up Barnaby Ridge later this month...

[/quote

if higher gears means more difficult gears, then you aren't helping yourself. Cycling on hills in a harder gear puts a lot of stress on your knees, May I suggest...find a comfortable cadence and stick to it by adjusting gears....on flats and hills

if higher gears means more difficult gears, then you aren't helping yourself. Cycling on hills in a harder gear puts a lot of stress on your knees, May I suggest...find a comfortable cadence and stick to it by adjusting gears....on flats and hills

I was referring to more difficult gears, yes, but I'm able to do it with the same cadence.. as you suggested. If that makes sense..

@castuserraticus - Starting to notice that, ya.

I used to ride all the time. And I mean ALL the time. Work, for play. Everywhere.

Then I got married, had kids, and took up this crazy sport called fly fishing. ALL my free time is now spent fishing.

Why not combine the two? A couple of weeks back I had my wife give me a headscarf from my parents place in the Hat and then meet me at Reesor for a day on Battle. Much fun!!

Why not combine the two? A couple of weeks back I had my wife give me a headscarf from my parents place in the Hat and then meet me at Reesor for a day on Battle. Much fun!!

I have actually considered it. I would need a HUGE pack to make sure all my gear fit in it.....lol I love my chest/backpack combo for day trips on the Bow or backcountry, but I am not 100% sure I could fit my waders and boots in there too.

Maybe if I got pannier packs......hmmmmm

TOO MANY FLATS?

If your interested in avoiding flats you can install TUFFY's inside your tire. They are just a liner between your tire and tube.If there not at mec try campione. I put them on my wifes race bike so she doesn't have to change out tires mid race (which would significantly increase her race time ^_^ )

• 2 weeks later...

Passed through 1000 km's this week. Sure would be nice if I got to ride down wind every so often. I go north in the morning and south in the afternoon. Seems like the wind is in my face both directions every day. Oh well, makes for a better workout!