Fly Fusion Forums

Squirrel Problems

Damned Sqirrels, they are chewing on the wood on my deck.Railings first, and steps. I dont know which tastes better. They have become a major pain. The fact that the neighbor has a bird feeder, and the one across the way feeds them peanuts, does not help the matter. I have used a cayenne and pepper mix, but after a rain or snow it washes away.I know you can trap and move them, but looking for options. I hear if you trap them you have to release them a fair ways away or they sometimes come back. How is that, Stalked by a squrrel.

I had squirrels in my soffits. I trapped them one by one with snickers. Just get a trap from canadian tire and put a snickers in it. Take em 10km down river and across. Done.

Or shoot em.

Being in the city limits, the neighbors may not like the shooting.

Recipe for Campfire Roasted Squirrel

4-6 fresh squirrels

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt (optional)

1/4 teaspoon creole seasoning (optional)

Directions:

Prep Time: 1 hr

Total Time: 1 3/4 hrs

1) If fresh squirrel is used skin, and leave whole, splitting the breast bone lengthwise to open up the rib cage.

2) Brush the oil over the squirrel then sprinkle the seasionings liberally all over.

3) Pull the hot coals to one side away from the main part of the fire.

4) Either stake the squirrel on a cleaned tree limb over the coals or use a metal grate over the coals.

5) Rotate periodiaclly and don't over cook as the meat is real lean and will dryout fast.

Recipe for Campfire Roasted Squirrel

4-6 fresh squirrels

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt (optional)

1/4 teaspoon creole seasoning (optional)

Directions:

Prep Time: 1 hr

Total Time: 1 3/4 hrs

1) If fresh squirrel is used skin, and leave whole, splitting the breast bone lengthwise to open up the rib cage.

2) Brush the oil over the squirrel then sprinkle the seasionings liberally all over.

3) Pull the hot coals to one side away from the main part of the fire.

4) Either stake the squirrel on a cleaned tree limb over the coals or use a metal grate over the coals.

5) Rotate periodiaclly and don't over cook as the meat is real lean and will dryout fast.

They are quite lean so I do mine in tinfoil with some onion.

Pretty good camp food if you haven't been able to club a foolhen & the griz have already got to the cooler you left on the picnic table.

Not a word of a lie, Andrew (drbulltrout) dines on these in the summer for a quick snack. Like dryfly said, cook them. I've been proven wrong about the taste of them last summer.

unless Andy is working a trapline or the quarry is ground squirrels (not the tree loving ones) it is illegal to kill chipmunks and squirrels as they are considered fur bearing animals. But knowin' Andy he wouldn't poach, especially after you see what he does to illegal baitfisher's he finds on his journeys.

When I lived in Calgary we had zoo escapees make a home in our attic. buggers chewed through chicken wire twice to get back to their new found home. A leg trap did the trick on both of them and fortunately for me that meant more tying materials.

Guys,

I'd suspect that Grey and Black Squirrels are not regulated @ all. I checked the Alberta Trapping Regs. and found the only squirrel mentioned is Alberta's native Red Squirrel.

See: http://www.albertaregulations.ca/trappingr...htm#fur-seasons

Like most invasive species, Greys and Blacks are pushing out the natives.

Don

I can speak from experience here...if your going to trap it, make sure you take them further then 4 km, bastards are like cats they find a way back into the soffits to where they were building a nest.

I worked at a research station in the Yukon one summer. One of the studies involved mapping home ranges of red squirrels. We took one squirrel on a trip across a good sized creek and about 10km further. He returned to his piece of forest heaven a few days later. They are very protective of their home ranges.

I wonder how loud one of them grey squirrels could scream if you launched them from a propane powered potato cannon???? I already know how far away a gopher will land from a oxyacetylene powered irrigation pipe.... Might be a pain in the ass to get them into those little parachutes.