Fly Fusion Forums

Ideal Weight For The Bow?

Ulmo

talking rods here folks, currently using a 5 weight set up, looking at something a little beefier, indicator nymphing and streamers are my bread and butter, was thinking a 6 wgt or 7 wgt with a fighting butt - the big question - is a 7 weight rod too heavy for the bow river? would a 6 weight suffice? thanks guys...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respectfully disagree.I went with a 7wt last year and for me, it's night and day above a 5 or 6wt for chucking weighted rigs - I've noticed a huge difference. The extra quarter ounce has had absolutely zero impact on my stamina but a HUGE difference on casting, especially roll casting. YMMV.

My $.01

All you need is a 6wt, 7wt isn't necessary and is just more weight to cast all day

A six is my all round rod....I have absolutely no problem casting weight with it or roll casting when necessary....I can convert to throwing streamers if I choose (simply by changing lines or even just adding a little more weight to get a streamer down) and it is light enough to enjoy dry fly fishing when those times present themselves.

Well I believe that the Ideal weight for the Bow river is about 160 - 180Lb and that is without added Fly Fishing gear.. Anymore then that and you will not last the day fly fishing as the Bow is a big river, any less and you risk getting punked by the grade school class skippers that hang around there to smoke dope or stolen Players lights..

Add the necessary Fly gear and you would go about 220lb heavy enough to stand the current if you are brave or dumb enough to actually get in the water and heavy enough if you are a lazy bastard and get a guide to row you fat aZz down the river make the bugger work for his money!!!..

If this post was about the weight of a fly rod for the river then I don't know or careless...

Brookies Forever!!!! <--poke--<

If you have a 5wt already then a 7 should be your next rod up and a 3wt your next rod down.

My 5wt is my all around rod and I use it on the Bow to nymph and chuck streamers. I also like using my 7wt in the winter when I know I'll be nymping or chucking 100% of the time. My 3wt is used on those Mt streams but It's seen the Bow a few times and is a blast.

Leap sizes

4 6 8

3 5 7

Does everyone only fish with one weight of rod? God I have a few different weights that I fish depending on the situation.from 4 to 6

When I walk and wade one rod is all I take, anything else gets in the way.....When I float the river I will have a back up in the boat and it will still be a six....I reserve my light rods for smaller streams with smaller fish.

Since my 6 wt rod increases my line speed, accuracy,distance and hook setting and is almost impervious to breakage it is the only rod I need. ;)

chee.jpg

If I were to have one rod it would be 9' 6wt, but where is the fun in having just one rod.

Andrew

I use a 7 wt almost all the time. If I'm going to be fishing the evening caddis or another guaranteed to appear hatch I will sometimes use a 5 wt. In any given day I'll use heavy nymph rigs or streamers a lot, and the 7 just makes life a lot easier, especially if the wind is getting up.

Like all things fly fishing, I think it boils down to context and personal preference. If you were just starting out, you may choose a 6 over a 5. If you've been at it awhile and only nymph, you may choose a 5. If you only hunt snouts, you may choose a 4wt. If you like to throw your fly to the other side of the river because you don't feel like crossing a bridge to get to the other side, you may want a spey.

My personal set up is 4wt for dry, 5wt for nymph, 6wt for streamers. Anything heavier would simply be for preference to your casting style, as no fish in the Bow would require anything heavier than a 4wt to land.

People may love the fight you get from a 4 wt. or lighter, but the extra time spent fighting a fish will be contributing too more lactic acid build up in its system and could cause its death, even though it is revived and released. In my opinion anything lighter than a 6 or perhaps a 5 (but even that's pushing it, considering the size of some of the fish in the Bow) is to light for this river.