Fly Fusion Forums

Ipod...oh The Dispair

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Yes...my middle boy accidentally got his Ipod washed in the front load for 10 minutes. I took it out and put it in a baggie with rice...1 week later...faint apple logo...10 days later stronger apple logo...but won't take a charge... Screen is almost clear...some water marking but decreasing...

Is there any hope? Sigh... Kids and $250 later... What a potential waste.

Still I am keeping my figures crossed. Maybe after 20 days...it will work? maybe? :-(

Hey Sun,

get a hair dryer from the wife and blow out the Ipod for about 20 minutes but keep it far enough away that it doesn't melt any parts, then let it sit over night. Also if you know how to take the battery out it would be a good idea to take it out and let it dry first.

I did this on my old Kodak Camera the last 5 times that I dumped it in the Bow River and it still works fine. Although I now havd to retire the Kodak as Santa got me a new Waterproof Olympus 3000 camera that i'll have to break in the next time I get to the Bow.

:)

Yes...my middle boy accidentally got his Ipod washed in the front load for 10 minutes. I took it out and put it in a baggie with rice...1 week later...faint apple logo...10 days later stronger apple logo...but won't take a charge... Screen is almost clear...some water marking but decreasing...

Is there any hope? Sigh... Kids and $250 later... What a potential waste.

Still I am keeping my figures crossed. Maybe after 20 days...it will work? maybe? :-(

Guest Sundancefisher
Hey Sun,

get a hair dryer from the wife and blow out the Ipod for about 20 minutes but keep it far enough away that it doesn't melt any parts, then let it sit over night. Also if you know how to take the battery out it would be a good idea to take it out and let it dry first.

I did this on my old Kodak Camera the last 5 times that I dumped it in the Bow River and it still works fine. Although I now havd to retire the Kodak as Santa got me a new Waterproof Olympus 3000 camera that i'll have to break in the next time I get to the Bow.

:)

not sure how to open an ipod. I suspect you need special tool?

• 1 month later...
Guest Sundancefisher

Well...how about an update?

After weeks of drying then trying to charge...it would not work. I all but gave up and figured the boy was getting a new ipod for his birthday present but that it was going to be full price.

Then I looked on the apple website for repairs. They have an option to send it in for replacement...$125. They covered all shipping. I got a box in the mail...shipped it back...the day after Apple received it I got the new one back in the mail.

Still paid $125 but cheaper than the $250 to buy new.

Just so you all know of this option should it happen to you!

For anyone that washes a phone, the battery is generally toasted. if you can get the battery out right away then do so - not sure how it works in an ipod.

Put the phone in a bag with some silica desiccant (the stuff you get in packaging works) for a few days and keep it in a dry environment - i've washed two phones now and dropped a third in a toilet (don't ask, i'm not telling) and it seems to work.

I recently switched from a BBerry to an IPhone basically because the plan my work uses stopped supporting blackberries. The BB was pretty indestructible. I have drowned various bb's in the river, probably 6-8 times now. Pull the battery immediately, bring it home and put the phone under a blow drier for 15 min or so, good as new. Somehow I don't think the IPHone would survive the dunking as well.

I recently switched from a BBerry to an IPhone basically because the plan my work uses stopped supporting blackberries. The BB was pretty indestructible. I have drowned various bb's in the river, probably 6-8 times now. Pull the battery immediately, bring it home and put the phone under a blow drier for 15 min or so, good as new. Somehow I don't think the IPHone would survive the dunking as well.

Based on how many times you've dunked your BlackBerry's, be sure to update us on how well it does handle it when you eventually dunk it in the river.

Thanks in advance.

Pretty sure when they make these devices they aren't claiming that they're waterproof or even water resistant. I've taken a dunking with my iPhone in one of my jacket pockets and it was fine after I dried it out but it didn't get completely soaked either. I keep mine in a waterproof camera bag in my backpack now and only take it out to make phone calls if I need to when I'm safely back on the bank. The beauty of these smartphones is they have things like caller ID and visual voicemail so you know who called while you were busy fishing.

i was in a fibreglass porta potie at minus 30 c, and when i took my coveralls off, my cell phone fell out of my pocket, down the hole and landed on a frozen turd. I retrieved the phone from the hole, and since then everybody calls my phone the Smell phone!

I can only attest to the paramount rule after drowning a BB - DO NOT TURN IT ON JUST TO CHECK!!! And no it was not warrantied, B*starts have some compound that turns red when it gets wet embedded in the device.

Since then, MEC has a couple of cheap and good containers that work well for the BB,

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

my room mates shuffle went for a swim in the spinner and after about a month it started to work properly. You could try an alcohol bath.

Guest Sundancefisher
i was in a fibreglass porta potie at minus 30 c, and when i took my coveralls off, my cell phone fell out of my pocket, down the hole and landed on a frozen turd. I retrieved the phone from the hole, and since then everybody calls my phone the Smell phone!

Your new nic name is Slumdog Fisherman!

Wow...that is gross LOL

• 4 months later...

Over the weekend I also accidentally dropped by Blackberry (Torch) into the water for an approx 10 second soak. Dried it out via the vehicle heater/ holding it out the sunroof whilst driving home, and placed in a baggie with rice overnight.

1.5 days later, shoved my wife's battery in it and it works fine. Even tried my own battery in it and it works fine. Don't even have any condensation in the screen. Warranty is likely void though as the little litmus paper thingies on the battery and the unit have turned a nice shade of red.

I forgot about this thread. So an IPhone drowning report:

I took a full immersion with it several weeks ago (in March I think). Phone was complete toast. Brought it back to Apple and told them what happened. They replaced the phone free of charge. I had another one go down since (not drowned, but still my mistake), and they replaced it as well.

I still think the BBerry is more tolerant to water than the IPhone, but Apples customer service has been impeccable.

I forgot about this thread. So an IPhone drowning report:

I took a full immersion with it several weeks ago (in March I think). Phone was complete toast. Brought it back to Apple and told them what happened. They replaced the phone free of charge. I had another one go down since (not drowned, but still my mistake), and they replaced it as well.

I still think the BBerry is more tolerant to water than the IPhone, but Apples customer service has been impeccable.

Same thing happened to me. Told em the truth and they exchanged it free. From now on i'll never take my phone out fishing.