Fly Fusion Forums

Pet Peeves

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sundancefisher
Italo Labignan,Just typing his name has me pissed.

I have to agree.

I had him help me organize a group of 30 fishing on the Niagara River. It was an unmitigated disaster...

Maybe you two should start your own site <--poke--<

trust me chris...it's already in the works...stop being so defensive and accept other peoples opinions are just that and nothing more...you don't want to hear opinions, don't allow stupid pet peeve threads...m2c... :numbchuck:

I agree. I wave them on and point at the stop sign, and wave thanks. Cyclists like you and I that obey the rules of the road are rare.

The rules of the road just make so much sense; problems generally start when someone behaves unpredictably. That said, I disagree with your assertion, at least when it comes to people who would label themselves as cyclists. I know an awful lot of them and the most are quite good.

In any event, we live in a province in which 90% of drivers can't pass a learner's exam and therefore do not know the rules of the road. Surely, this is a greater issue.

How does this work? Once you make over a certain amount you are not supposed to try to get deals? Good luck with that!

It's one thing if your negotating a house or a car, it's another if you're complaining about a few dollars.

This is Calgary, not Tijiuana.

There is one individual I know who figured if 10 of his friends and himself all bought 1K worth of Fly Tying material they should get it at cost + 5%.

The wholesalers don't even sell it at that margin.

This is Calgary, not Tijiuana.

I can't agree more, I have people all the time trying to haggle, and you're right we're not in Tijiuana...... you don't haggle when you are in walmart or superstore so why is it ok in a small retail location that get killed on margins

How does this work? Once you make over a certain amount you are not supposed to try to get deals? Good luck with that!

In my experience the problem was kind of the opposite; it seemed more like once someone made enough money, they'd ask for a discount, almost as if they felt entitled. To be honest, as I remember it they would often TELL me, matter of fact, "you're gonna give me a deal on this." Hardly ever got a request like that from a regular blue-collar type. If I were still in retail this would definitely be on my pet peeve list, because they rarely take no for an answer easily. My favorite memory of this kind of thing was when a guy bought a spinning rod, reel, and line. All in he was spending about $80. He thought that he should get a discount since he was buying "all the parts at once." I politely explained "all the parts" involved a lot more, and if he were purchasing lures, tackle boxes, bait, etc., or if he bought more than one rod and reel set, then we could do a deal. He understood. His elderly Mom did not. Both of them were obviously affluent. No matter what I said or did, she wouldn't stop arguing for a discount, and the line-up behind them started growing. Finally, a guy waiting in line piped up, "Hey Lady, when you go to the grocery store to buy milk, do you ask for a discount?". After she and her son left, I thanked the guy for saying what I couldn't without risking my job.

In my experience the problem was kind of the opposite; it seemed more like once someone made enough money, they'd ask for a discount, almost as if they felt entitled. To be honest, as I remember it they would often TELL me, matter of fact, "you're gonna give me a deal on this." Hardly ever got a request like that from a regular blue-collar type. If I were still in retail this would definitely be on my pet peeve list, because they rarely take no for an answer easily. My favorite memory of this kind of thing was when a guy bought a spinning rod, reel, and line. All in he was spending about $80. He thought that he should get a discount since he was buying "all the parts at once." I politely explained "all the parts" involved a lot more, and if he were purchasing lures, tackle boxes, bait, etc., or if he bought more than one rod and reel set, then we could do a deal. He understood. His elderly Mom did not. Both of them were obviously affluent. No matter what I said or did, she wouldn't stop arguing for a discount, and the line-up behind them started growing. Finally, a guy waiting in line piped up, "Hey Lady, when you go to the grocery store to buy milk, do you ask for a discount?". After she and her son left, I thanked the guy for saying what I couldn't without risking my job.

I had one customer come in and ask for a loner 6 weight because he had broken his rod. I explained that he could get a cheap, decent rod with a warranty for $100.

He replied, "No, I would prefer just to borrow one until mine is repaired."

For the record, he lives in Mount Royal - on the Elbow.

I think you will find that a person's attitudes towards "deals" has almost nothing to do with his income level. I've never really haggled over price when I was a starving student or young enlisted military guy, nor do I today. My wife haggles over most everything, and has since I've known her, from a very young nursing student up to the successful woman she is today.

Some people just want to think they are getting the best bargain, regardless of income level. Also, my suspicion is as people age, they become less apprehensive about trying to haggle, and there is certainly correlation between age and affluence. But my personal experience is that as our income levels or professional status climb, our predisposition to haggle does not change at all.

I think that any assignment of motives or airs of superiority on the part of the haggler based on apparent "affluence" says more about the hagglee (hey, new word!) than the haggler.

I can't agree more, I have people all the time trying to haggle, and you're right we're not in Tijiuana...... you don't haggle when you are in walmart or superstore so why is it ok in a small retail location that get killed on margins

Because everyone knows that prices are set at the chain stores, and none of the staff have the authority to haggle. But that is not the case in the small, owner operated store. There is an assumption (and not always wrong), that prices in the smaller shops are softer. If your shop will not haggle over price, that's fine. State it, and either the person will buy or they will not. But to compare selling practices of Walmart to a small owner operated shop is a bit apples to watermelons.

I have a condo I rent. People always haggle price. Sometimes I will haggle, sometimes not. But I don't resent the person for trying.