Fly Fusion Forums

Pet Peeves

Guest Sundancefisher
I think you will find that a person's attitudes towards "deals" has almost nothing to do with his income level. I've never really haggled over price when I was a starving student or young enlisted military guy, nor do I today. My wife haggles over most everything, and has since I've known her, from a very young nursing student up to the successful woman she is today.

Some people just want to think they are getting the best bargain, regardless of income level. Also, my suspicion is as people age, they become less apprehensive about trying to haggle, and there is certainly correlation between age and affluence. But my personal experience is that as our income levels or professional status climb, our predisposition to haggle does not change at all.

I think that any assignment of motives or airs of superiority on the part of the haggler based on apparent "affluence" says more about the hagglee (hey, new word!) than the haggler.

I find haggling or bargaining comes easier with experience and confidence. It also helps to be part Scottish. I like to haggle. I like to get a good deal. I work very hard for my money also and as such like to stretch it as far as possible. I see nothing at all wrong with that. I haggled once on a $600 gortex jacket...after I found out cost plus 20% was $40. Somethings are easier to haggle on than others. Just asking a store to give you the last sale price...can often save you money. If you don't ask...you won't know.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you will find that a person's attitudes towards "deals" has almost nothing to do with his income level. I've never really haggled over price when I was a starving student or young enlisted military guy, nor do I today. My wife haggles over most everything, and has since I've known her, from a very young nursing student up to the successful woman she is today.

Some people just want to think they are getting the best bargain, regardless of income level. Also, my suspicion is as people age, they become less apprehensive about trying to haggle, and there is certainly correlation between age and affluence. But my personal experience is that as our income levels or professional status climb, our predisposition to haggle does not change at all.

I think that any assignment of motives or airs of superiority on the part of the haggler based on apparent "affluence" says more about the hagglee (hey, new word!) than the haggler.

You can assume all you want about the ' hagglee' and 'assignment of motives', but my guess is you haven't worked in a retail environment.

The thing is Rickr, is that a small business is tough to run as it is, and 'special' discounts are limited.

(My opinion) It is a lot nicer to give the discount to someone who it really benefits, ie. someone of a lower income bracket. Unfortunately, you can give up any large sales, and when an affluent tight aXX customer haggles it is better to make the sale- than not.....even if it hurts your bottom line.

The pet peeve is more about people wanting more for less, and speaking from a physics perspective, we both know that is impossible; someone always loses.

And speaking as a hagglee, I see injustice in the whole process as some 'kind of a game.'

It's not a game or fun....people are just tight and cheap; even if it means taking advantage of another.

You can assume all you want about the ' hagglee' and 'assignment of motives', but my guess is you haven't worked in a retail environment.

The thing is Rickr, is that a small business is tough to run as it is, and 'special' discounts are limited.

(My opinion) It is a lot nicer to give the discount to someone who it really benefits, ie. someone of a lower income bracket. Unfortunately, you can give up any large sales, and when an affluent tight aXX customer haggles it is better to make the sale- than not.....even if it hurts your bottom line.

The pet peeve is more about people wanting more for less, and speaking from a physics perspective, we both know that is impossible; someone always loses.

And speaking as a hagglee, I see injustice in the whole process as some 'kind of a game.'

It's not a game or fun....people are just tight and cheap; even if it means taking advantage of another.

We had a family business when I was 15-17, a marina. I worked the store from 5 am till 9 or 10, then ran the shrimp boat until late afternoon. My wife has owned a couple of Antique stores/booths, and I've certainly helped with that. In the first store we bought a 40 foot container of furniture from France that took up all our savings. We had no idea if we would actually sell it all, but we did. Lots of haggling was involved in that! I also work in sales for a service company.

Other than that, not much experience.

It's not a game. It can be fun. I try to treat everyone the same, and hope I succeeded. But as the seller, it is up to me to decide whether I can afford to sell at the price being offered. If I decide I can, then it is a bit disingenuous to blame the buyer for being "cheap". And while I'm on the subject, why is it only the affluent who are tight asses? I don't know about you, but I've met tons of non-affluent tight asses as well. Is it just somehow more offensive if the tight ass has money? Is that fair?

We had a family business when I was 15-17, a marina. I worked the store from 5 am till 9 or 10, then ran the shrimp boat until late afternoon. My wife has owned a couple of Antique stores/booths, and I've certainly helped with that. In the first store we bought a 40 foot container of furniture from France that took up all our savings. We had no idea if we would actually sell it all, but we did. Lots of haggling was involved in that! I also work in sales for a service company.

Other than that, not much experience.

It's not a game. It can be fun. I try to treat everyone the same, and hope I succeeded. But as the seller, it is up to me to decide whether I can afford to sell at the price being offered. If I decide I can, then it is a bit disingenuous to blame the buyer for being "cheap". And while I'm on the subject, why is it only the affluent who are tight asses? I don't know about you, but I've met tons of non-affluent tight asses as well. Is it just somehow more offensive if the tight ass has money? Is that fair?

On the subject of fair, why does a small business that have to give deals, and Walmart et al. don't have to?

And if you refer comparing the "practices of Walmart to a small owner operated shop is a bit apples to watermelons", I would say the same applies to the buying practices of some who who has a small income and someone who has a large one.

Regards.

Guest Sundancefisher

Crispy Creme donuts... all air and no substance

Tim Horton Donuts...cooked in Ontario and shipped to Alberta

Country Style Donuts...to many cops in line...and all the good donuts are gone...

Guest Sundancefisher

People that blame others for their success in life after working hard and taking risks. People that hold a grudge for their own short comings rather than man up and realize life is full of ups and downs and be happy for what you have versus resentful for what you don't. For everyone who thinks they are down trodden...there are tons of others who are magnitudes worse off. Sometimes the horses are very, very tall... Sometimes everyone needs a wake up call to get off it.

People that blame others for their success in life after working hard and taking risks. People that hold a grudge for their own short comings rather than man up and realize life is full of ups and downs and be happy for what you have versus resentful for what you don't. For everyone who thinks they are down trodden...there are tons of others who are magnitudes worse off. Sometimes the horses are very, very tall... Sometimes everyone needs a wake up call to get off it.

Indeed.

I can't agree more, I have people all the time trying to haggle, and you're right we're not in Tijiuana...... you don't haggle when you are in walmart or superstore so why is it ok in a small retail location that get killed on margins

I work in a big box store and I would say a good portion of the customers that walk in are looking for deals or discounts on something.

In my deparment that I run (Copy and Print Center) I would say a good portion of people that come in are asking for deals or discounts or trying to come up with some reason as to why they should get it cheeper, hence all the crap we must do now, ie: proofs, signatures on order forms, etc.. Its crazy the crap I handle on a daily basis with people wanting things as quick as possible but want to pay as little as possible, if you want it quickly then you gotta pay the express fees, then the customer says we are trying to rip them off.

Technology Department almost everyone wants a deal, I can't go into our margins but in this area there is very little money that is made, reason why we sell these items is to bring the customer into the store.

In the rest of the store people are always asking for discounts for bulk things, what people do not realize is that our prices are based off buying in bulk so we can offer lower prices, if we give more discount then we lose money so our prices then have to go up.

So it is not just small business that people are asking for discounts from it is in every type of buiness.

It is diffently a pet peeve of mine that people think just cause they are in a big box store they are getting ripped off by the prices.

My peeve is the freaks who think perfectly good Vodka should be ruined by flavoring it with rasberrys. Took me two days to get the foul taste out of my mouth.

Try flavoring it with Labrador Tea Tea aka. Ledum glandulosum one time- about 30 leaves to a 26 oz. bottle.

Let it sit for a week.

The effects are interesting, but be careful you don't use too much; it can be dangerous.