Fly Fusion Forums

Doc's Disaster

SilverDoctor

Well I've been looking for a long time for a couple of good specific capes. Took me a while to save for just the ones I wanted, not an easy task. Don't have a lot of spare $ these days but I like to buy good quality. It makes a difference in tying. Found 3 wonderful examples of what I needed. I fear I drove the online supplier crazy asking for a few pictures. But the man was a prince and complied. So after payment and a bit of waiting the package arrived. Placed it still wrapped on my tying desk in anticipation of opening and admiring my prizes. My mind was already turning over joyous tying time that would result in with these beauty feathers. As is my habit I would most likely pluck the pelts and sort the feathers. My thoughts where that I needed to slip out to the store for some zip lock bags.

The doorbell rang and there stood my new neighbor. He came over with his red setter to say hi. Now I have to admit a small bit of nagging pulled at my old brain. Kind of like you feel something in life is not right. I've been dogless for a couple of years now so it was nice to talk to a pooch. We sat having coffee in the kitchen and time passed, when the dog strolled in with contentment on his face. Unforgettably it was not the only thing on his face. it was festooned with blue eared pheasant feathers. The dog had destroyed and mostly ate a full new and untouched Blue eared pheasant cape that I received, along with 2 wood duck capes. I didn't even have a chance to open the package. My heart fell.

It was devastating. Neighbor said he would buy me replacements till he found out just how much they where worth. He left hurriedly and hasn't met my eye since. I fear it will be some time before I can save again for replacements. Allin all it was a rather expensive coffee. After sifting through what was left I gleaned about a dozen usable feathers in total.

Needless to say I now run a dog free zone.

Luckily my dog has never shown even the slightest bit of interest in any of my tying materials, but if he had destroyed anything of a friend's or neighbour's I would not hesitate to pay for replacement regardless of what it was. Even if I couldn't afford the full replacement value on the spot I'd offer to pay what I could until the replacement value was met. As a dog owner you're responsible for your dog's actions.

Think of it from the neighbors point of view.You paid how much for what?

I'm dog sitting again next week 8 month old lab, chews any and everything.When i bring him with me he's on a leash all the time

Doc i feel for ya,your probably kicking yourself that you never listened to your inner voice.

Think of it from the neighbors point of view.You paid how much for what?

I'm dog sitting again next week 8 month old lab, chews any and everything.When i bring him with me he's on a leash all the time

Doc i feel for ya,your probably kicking yourself that you never listened to your inner voice.

Tungsten:

I get what your saying; a person goes "you paid how much? for FEATHERS??" Their skepticism is perfectly natural and expected.

And irrelevant. If need be, overcome their skepticism by explanation (things for hobbies and craftsmanship are often more expensive than one might think) and also overcome their skepticism by producing the bill. End of story.

A sense of decency and honor means an automatic gracious offer ought to have been forthcoming from the neighbor to pay in full for the damage caused by the dog. If they can afford the dog, they can afford to pay for damage from said pet. I say this as a dog lover/former owner.

Smitty

L,

Sorry to hear! I would approach your neighbor again as it is indeed his/her responsibility for their dogs behavior... Plus it will allow you to find & purchase new materials sooner rather then later. Kinda reminds me of a situation when we were infants (I'm a twin) and freinds of my parents came over with there dog and it peed all over their brand new (wool) carpet!

I hope they do the responsible thing!

P

Very disappoining indeed. My neighbour let's his dog do it's business all over my front lawn and when I stand there with 100 brown spots and tell him it is wrecking the lawn. He says how do I know it is due to the dog and not the soil or the watering.... #*@*@#!

I say someone needs to develop fly patterns which incorporate domestic pet fur.

M

Very disappoining indeed. My neighbour let's his dog do it's business all over my front lawn and when I stand there with 100 brown spots and tell him it is wrecking the lawn. He says how do I know it is due to the dog and not the soil or the watering.... #*@*@#!

I say someone needs to develop fly patterns which incorporate domestic pet fur.

M

this is easily remedied, time it so next time he goes out, he'll see you squatting on his front lawn reading a newspaper hahahaha

Doc, as an alternative to defacating on your neighbour's lawn, please consider telling him that he can put the damages on his house's liability insurance. It will not affect his deductible and his premiums will not go up.

Rick

Go for it Doc....If not his insurance, then why not yours? Insurance companies will surprise you sometimes.

Here's hopin',

Dick Seymour

Have had a few different upland dogs and never had a problem. Well popped over to the neighbor knocked on the door and politely gave him the receipt. He promptly ripped it up and slammed the door. Oh well such is life, you have to take the good with the bad, and everyone operates on several levels. Won't put it against my insurance, too small an amount. Just have to save up again.

Wow!! How rude!! Some people, eh!

Sorry to hear that!

P

Have had a few different upland dogs and never had a problem. Well popped over to the neighbor knocked on the door and politely gave him the receipt. He promptly ripped it up and slammed the door. Oh well such is life, you have to take the good with the bad, and everyone operates on several levels. Won't put it against my insurance, too small an amount. Just have to save up again.