Fly Fusion Forums

A Story Of Fishing, Fathers, Wives, And Ffc

reevesr1

My participation in the Movember Prostate Cancer charity along with the frankly amazing participation by members of this board have had me thinking about my dad, the friends I've made on this board and something my wife said not very long after he died. I'll see if I can keep this story somewhat brief. I've probably told some of this before, but it seemed relevant to me now.

A few days before my dad died, my mom started calling his friends and telling them that it would be a pretty good idea for them to stop by and say goodbye. I'll never forget watching guys who had been larger than life to me all my life (one was an ex-football player, one was the funniest man I've ever met, and my uncles are the best guys in the world) nervously pace on the deck outside my parents front door waiting for their turn to sit with dad for a few minutes so he could hold court for the last time. They all got their turn, all I'm sure remembered some favorite story for the last time, and all came out looking as you would expect. Quite a moving day for me.

Sometime that day (or at least I think it was that day), my wife and I went out for a bit for some food away from everyone. I told her that the scariest thing for me in all of this was that I was loosing the guy I told all my stories to (a son never gets tired of bragging a bit to his father, or at least I never did). And who was going to call me when I was fishing? When I lived in Texas, every single fishing trip I went on, at some point I would get the following call:

"Hey Rick, this is Richard, your father" (he ALWAYS did that on the phone. Like I wouldn't recognize the voice, or didn't know my father's name was Richard. I always found that hysterical)

"Hey dad"

"Doing any good"

"Pretty good, 5 or 6 so far"

"Any size to 'em?"

"A couple of pretty nice fish"

"Where are ya?"

"Inside of Pelican Reef"

"You may want to think of hitting sand island. I saw a bunch of slicks pop up there the other morning. If you need bait, I should be picking up in a half hour or so. I'm down by the turning basin."

"Ok dad, see you in an hour or so"

A couple of days after he died (and I think this was before the funeral, but it all seems to run together) my two brothers and I went fishing for a couple of hours. I don't think any of us really wanted to, but felt we had to. My parents place is right on the water and the boat is right there. It takes about 1/2 hour from the house to some really good water, water all of us had fished hundreds of times, so we were on our way there when my phone rang:

"Hi Rick, it's Jackie"

"Hi honey"

"Doing any good?"

"We're not there yet Jackie"

"OK, I'll call you in a little while."

"Thanks honey."

Nicest thing she's ever done for me.

After I got back home, I started to use this website more than I had in the past. I told old stories and wrote paragraphs on every fishing trip I went on. Jackie, being far more observant of behavior than I'll ever be told me she thought that this little 'ole website gave me an avenue to say all the things I used to say to my father. I was used to telling him the story of the trip during and after every trip, and FFC gave me a venue to do that. And I think she's probably right. I like to think I'm telling the stories to give information about what is working for me, and maybe to entertain a bit, and I certainly think there is a large component of that. But really, I suppose I do it because I kinda have to. Since I can't brag to my father any more, you folks get the dubious pleasure of letting me ramble on. And I thank you all.

My participation in the Movember Prostate Cancer charity along with the frankly amazing participation by members of this board have had me thinking about my dad, the friends I've made on this board and something my wife said not very long after he died. I'll see if I can keep this story somewhat brief. I've probably told some of this before, but it seemed relevant to me now.

A few days before my dad died, my mom started calling his friends and telling them that it would be a pretty good idea for them to stop by and say goodbye. I'll never forget watching guys who had been larger than life to me all my life (one was an ex-football player, one was the funniest man I've ever met, and my uncles are the best guys in the world) nervously pace on the deck outside my parents front door waiting for their turn to sit with dad for a few minutes so he could hold court for the last time. They all got their turn, all I'm sure remembered some favorite story for the last time, and all came out looking as you would expect. Quite a moving day for me.

Sometime that day (or at least I think it was that day), my wife and I went out for a bit for some food away from everyone. I told her that the scariest thing for me in all of this was that I was loosing the guy I told all my stories to (a son never gets tired of bragging a bit to his father, or at least I never did). And who was going to call me when I was fishing? When I lived in Texas, every single fishing trip I went on, at some point I would get the following call:

"Hey Rick, this is Richard, your father" (he ALWAYS did that on the phone. Like I wouldn't recognize the voice, or didn't know my father's name was Richard. I always found that hysterical)

"Hey dad"

"Doing any good"

"Pretty good, 5 or 6 so far"

"Any size to 'em?"

"A couple of pretty nice fish"

"Where are ya?"

"Inside of Pelican Reef"

"You may want to think of hitting sand island. I saw a bunch of slicks pop up there the other morning. If you need bait, I should be picking up in a half hour or so. I'm down by the turning basin."

"Ok dad, see you in an hour or so"

A couple of days after he died (and I think this was before the funeral, but it all seems to run together) my two brothers and I went fishing for a couple of hours. I don't think any of us really wanted to, but felt we had to. My parents place is right on the water and the boat is right there. It takes about 1/2 hour from the house to some really good water, water all of us had fished hundreds of times, so we were on our way there when my phone rang:

"Hi Rick, it's Jackie"

"Hi honey"

"Doing any good?"

"We're not there yet Jackie"

"OK, I'll call you in a little while."

"Thanks honey."

Nicest thing she's ever done for me.

After I got back home, I started to use this website more than I had in the past. I told old stories and wrote paragraphs on every fishing trip I went on. Jackie, being far more observant of behavior than I'll ever be told me she thought that this little 'ole website gave me an avenue to say all the things I used to say to my father. I was used to telling him the story of the trip during and after every trip, and FFC gave me a venue to do that. And I think she's probably right. I like to think I'm telling the stories to give information about what is working for me, and maybe to entertain a bit, and I certainly think there is a large component of that. But really, I suppose I do it because I kinda have to. Since I can't brag to my father any more, you folks get the dubious pleasure of letting me ramble on. And I thank you all.

May God bless you, your family and welcome your father into his heavenly kingdom.

May God bless you, your family and welcome your father into his heavenly kingdom.

Crow,

I think He's already blessed me, and I know where my father is. My wife thinks me finding FFC was divine intervention. I am totally serious when I say that.

And to you other guys, stop it. You're making me blush!

rickr you are truely one of the best posters on this site. I enjoy reading all of your posts.

Recently I've grown tired of reading certain posters negativity (I've got no one to blame but myself as I can stop reading at any time).

That said, you have brought and continue to bring a sense of fellowship to this site and for that I am truely grateful.

Thank you.

Great post Rick. I just spent the afternoon fishing with a guy who's body is full of tumors coming from the prostrate. I was thinking of you today. In addition, I fished all day with my Dad's rod. It was a great day full of memories, enjoying the present and looking forward to paradise.

I suppose I do it because I kinda have to. Since I can't brag to my father any more, you folks get the dubious pleasure of letting me ramble on. And I thank you all.

I agree that you are one of the most entertaining and toughtful posters on this site. I've often wonder why you take so much time composing these excellent posts for a bunch of (sometimes) undeserving bums. You're proving that fishing is not just about the fish.

And you're making me think about my dad, John. I miss him too.

Hi Rick

Great story and great thoughts and memories..

Fathers and indeed grandfathers of yesteryear played a great part in shaping today's slightly older Fly fishers. It is by their example that we share our love of the sport and stories with younger Fly fishers and our own prodigy.

You sir had a fine guide, and it is easy to see that he did a great job with his little sport!

Ray.

Guest galsfishtoo

Great story rickr, thanks for sharing!

Your post made me think about my Dad too. I miss him so much. Even though it has been a few years, the longing to be able to share things with them never goes away, but the memories will always be there...