Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying?

headscan

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God do I hate those tiny BC chironomids. Got enough for the early season opener done. All on Mustad C68 #14's & #16's. All but a couple with tungsten beads for those fish that seem to be feeding @ +20'. Been laid up for a while so got time to do some tying.

tiny1w.jpg

God do I hate those tiny BC chironomids. Got enough for the early season opener done. All on Mustad C68 #14's & #16's. All but a couple with tungsten beads for those fish that seem to be feeding @ +20'. Been laid up for a while so got time to do some tying.

tiny1w.jpg

Don do you want to give the recipe for a of those chironomids? I have been cranking through a bunch of the wicked patterns in the book Modern Midges. Some of the ones you tied up look pretty nice as well. Cant wait till the ice breaks up to hit some lakes in BC.

I'm not a single fly kinda guy. This is just one of three chironomid boxes. Over-kill - depends on where you go and how you fish.

Some tying notes:

1] Notice Mustad C068 hooks. Have landed fish + 6 lbs. on #16's - tough hook - only thing close is TMC 2457

2] Bodies are all protected with one coat of super glue + multiple coats of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails

3] Thread for ribs is twisted prior to application

4] Herl is used for some heads.

5] Gills are nearly impossible with 1.5 mm beads

6] Gill materials are various things - Super Fly, Antron, Oral B Floss

tiny-box-2w.jpg

tiny-box1w.jpg

tiny8wa.jpg

tiny7wa.jpg

Tiny5wa.jpg

Tiny4wa.jpg

Tiny1wa.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, that's exactly where they came from. 11/0 Japanese seed beads or something like that. Had to rip half the label off to open the vial so I'm not 100% sure that's what they're called. The hole in them is pretty small so if you're tying in the antron like I did you need to be very minimal on thread wraps. I used 12/0 Giorgio Bennecchi thread with one base layer and one layer over the antron and I still had trouble sliding the bead back over it.

I get mine from artbeads.com

Low cost, good stuff and a pile of selections. Where I live it is not practical to visit a shop to look at them before buying all the time.

• 4 weeks later...

I got stuck at home this evening, after browsing the web for a while I saw a nifty extended bead body stone pattern posted over at flytyingforum.com and took a crack at a Golden Stone version.

golden1.jpg

golden2.jpg

I got stuck at home this evening, after browsing the web for a while I saw a nifty extended bead body stone pattern posted over at flytyingforum.com and took a crack at a Golden Stone version.

golden1.jpg

golden2.jpg

Good job :wave_smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeremie
Last night i had some buds over and after a few whiskeys we came up with these.Man that Crown Royal is good stuff.

flies035large.jpg

flies036large.jpg

flies037large.jpg

flies038large.jpg

flies039large.jpg

Ill bet you that first one looks amazingly buggy under water! Really like the boatmen pattern and blood leach! Nice ties

• 2 weeks later...

Been tying some 'intruder inspired' streamers. Using marabou and a regular streamer shank. Used olive buck tail (hard to flare) and it really comes through when wet. I like the movement and profile when wet.... and it's been working!

Intruders008.jpg

Been tying some 'intruder inspired' streamers. Using marabou and a regular streamer shank. Used olive buck tail (hard to flare) and it really comes through when wet. I like the movement and profile when wet.... and it's been working!

Intruders008.jpg

hmmmm....looks leechy