Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying?

headscan

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here you goTeck...this is the tying method... http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/vladiworm.html ...it's a worm of some sort..some of mine turned out like 'maggots'..the fish will eat them, that's for bloody sure...

.."Pink Condoms" in Calgary...not that I have found...been to 8 Adult places..no luck..lots of 'black' and glow-in-the-dark.......Wolfie

I must really start tying again as the season has taken a toll on my boxes.

Lately I found myself more and more swinging flies for trout and grayling with the doublehander.

To my surprise they tend to have a liking for sized down salmon flies.

This winter I will be tying some tubeflies and try those.

100_0058a.jpg

Just tied up some of those worms they sure look sweet!

If you are still looking for pink condoms i found some buy tearing open about four different straglers left in the bottom of my sock drawer (DUREX ribbed fo her pleaser in a green package).

I was looking threw the patterns page and came across Don A's fly of daphnia.So i came up with these for a cluster of midges.

rodlocker016large.jpg

rodlocker017large.jpg

Nice tie, pretty creative way to present a cluster. The Vladi worms are pretty awesome as well (nice job Wolfie!). Excellent work guys (and inspiration for a few new patterns on my end).

Hello all, Looking through the site over the past few weeks and have to say that I'm really enjoying all the great info that is being shared.

Was inspired by the VLADI worms. Decided to tie some up and after about the 6th one got into a rhythm. Just a couple of suggestions for those of you wanting to tackle this fly..er..worm.

1. I watched the video and found it very helpful but would suggest using red floss to base coat the hook rather than the regular 6/0 thread they used.

2. I tied mono in the first few attempts for the rib and found it a little difficult to use. I switched it up to a red 10 grain # 30 soft wire and found it much stronger and it holds tight as you wrap, therefor your last step of whip finishing is an easier process as well.

post-3378-1258671712.jpg

Hello all, Looking through the site over the past few weeks and have to say that I'm really enjoying all the great info that is being shared.

Was inspired by the VLADI worms. Decided to tie some up and after about the 6th one got into a rhythm. Just a couple of suggestions for those of you wanting to tackle this fly..er..worm.

1. I watched the video and found it very helpful but would suggest using red floss to base coat the hook rather than the regular 6/0 thread they used.

2. I tied mono in the first few attempts for the rib and found it a little difficult to use. I switched it up to a red 10 grain # 30 soft wire and found it much stronger and it holds tight as you wrap, therefor your last step of whip finishing is an easier process as well.

post-3378-1258671712.jpg

nicely tied on the worms ...well as you I did something as well...I used micro chenille to build the body up, but I used 4lb mono as the ribbing because it still has that translucence effect you'd want...beside, I never had a real problem with not tying tiny heads............Wolfie

Lately I've been refilling the coffers with the standard nymphs, but I'm always tweaking patterns as I go along. Two of my favorites are the Acetate San Juan (with a mono dropper loop built in), I've tied some with chenille tails and some without, this one is the tailless version.

sj1.jpg

And my take on a Kaufman Stone (this one is in amber).

amberstone-1.jpg

Edit: a little bit better photo of the stone.

Killer stone... You have the loop on the SJW just to switch out your lower flies? i could dig it...

Thanks, and yeah I typically have the worm as the top fly and like to swap out the droppers. I like to pre-tie several combinations for the droppers and swap out as needed. When it get's cold I have a real aversion to tying knots :)

Serious skillzzz jordo, nice ties...

Thanks, there are a lot of awesome ties in this thread, and tiers on this forum. I'm glad I can add something to the mix and learn something as I go. My latest are some Caddis Larvae;

caddis2.jpg

Lately I've been refilling the coffers with the standard nymphs, but I'm always tweaking patterns as I go along. Two of my favorites are the Acetate San Juan (with a mono dropper loop built in), I've tied some with chenille tails and some without, this one is the tailless version.

sj1.jpg

And my take on a Kaufman Stone (this one is in amber).

amberstone-1.jpg

Edit: a little bit better photo of the stone.

What is the material you are using for the abdomen of the Stone as well as your caddis ties? Also, had you used weight for either of those?

They look very good to me and I am sure they will fish well.

What is the material you are using for the abdomen of the Stone as well as your caddis ties? Also, had you used weight for either of those?

They look very good to me and I am sure they will fish well.

Thanks; to answer your questions the body material is Larva Lace, and both flies have some lead-free wire added for weight.

I finally got out of my chironmid kick and have been tying up a bunch of 2 ½ inch half and half’s over the past couple days. Lately I have replaced the buck tail with marabou, as I find it has a lot more action in the water or in this case my bath tub. I got this idea at troutfitters when I noticed they had some clouser’s made up with marabou. Has anyone fished these? Do they hold up?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dennis59

Jordo I also like the loop on the SW. What wieght mono are you using and the other have you tried it with a hopper dropper set up.

again great idea

Wolfie Like your Steelhead Nymph could you supply material list.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :laxfisher::fish_jump: