Fly Fusion Forums

Getting Back At Random Campers

I have been down to the Oldman/Racehorse area for the last 5 weeks and I am getting madder and madder as I see these random campers taking over a campsite for the whole summer!! I know that this forum has beaten this topic over and over but it just pisses me off!!

I feel that this Forest Reserve is for all Albertans and these people have no right to occupy these premiere spots longer than 14 days as the rules state!!

I have then come up with a plan and I want some feedback from the members on this forum. I want to get a tent (s) and during the weekdays when they aren't there, pitch it in the middle of there site!! After all it's my land too!!

I would place a notice saying that I think they are overstaying there right to that spot etc

I think this could be fun, and I would like to see the reaction. Let me know if you have an old tent I could have.

Also would a letter to Sustainable Resources with specific locations of these squatters get any reaction?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been down to the Oldman/Racehorse area for the last 5 weeks and I am getting madder and madder as I see these random campers taking over a campsite for the whole summer!! I know that this forum has beaten this topic over and over but it just pisses me off!!

I feel that this Forest Reserve is for all Albertans and these people have no right to occupy these premiere spots longer than 14 days as the rules state!!

I have then come up with a plan and I want some feedback from the members on this forum. I want to get a tent (s) and during the weekdays when they aren't there, pitch it in the middle of there site!! After all it's my land too!!

I would place a notice saying that I think they are overstaying there right to that spot etc

I think this could be fun, and I would like to see the reaction. Let me know if you have an old tent I could have.

Also would a letter to Sustainable Resources with specific locations of these squatters get any reaction?

Did that last year, send in info and SFA happened, also called, and guess what - they are there again..

BearCamping.jpg

IMGP0005.jpg

IMGP0011.jpg

Anybody want one of theses..

IMGP0015.jpg

notice the tree not the name!!!!

FunnyCamping.jpg

IMGP0013.jpg

two weeks and not a soul in sight.. just the kit ....

That's ballsy. Seriously ballsy. What's stopping someone from driving in there with a 5th wheel outfit and taking off with their stuff?

I know I'd be too paranoid to leave my crap there all summer un-supervized. Hell, I would go nuts if I left it for one night!

Hmmm, I can empathize with what you are trying to accomplish, but the message would be lost if there is no educational opportunity (niether party is around to explain the situation - which ultimately could be dangerous!).

As FNG states, It would be WAY better if you hauled away (relocated) their entire camp!! :ridemcowboy:

P

they drive me nuts.. people are f*cked.. i dotn understand the mentality with teh whole "our spot" for teh year....... if i was a little more vigalint i would go torch em all..... but i dont need teh hassle from the law afterword!!! seriously people need too realize they are pissing most of us off with the "move out for teh season" mentality.. were is the respect for everyone else who uses these places too camp for A WEEKEND.. wish we coudl get a new law taht give people a 3 day un occupied deal before they get ticketed (daily ) ideally until the stuff is moved.... would bring in a ton of extra cash for enforcement too!!!!

Wow...I can't believe that is still standing. We paid $500 for the comfort of knowing we parked our trailer in a campground with the knowledge that it might not be in one piece at the end of the season. Can't imagine having the Leggo's faith in mankind that they obviously do. Either that or they've got more money than brains.

I've got a big bug/screen room you can use Big Al...no tent, but it's the same idea!

I would be curious to know the law in regards to if I decided to move into one of these "abandoned" recreational vehicles for a week or two. After all, the guy has it parked on my property.

lmao!!!! imainge "whats up dudes!!! nice crib yall got.... yall are out of beer tho.... enjoy your stay and take care!~"

When fishing for pike was legal with a bow my cousins and I would go out to Gull Lake and shoot them during the winter. Shot and saw some monsters. It was too much fun to be legal and I'm glad they shut it down. However, we would leave our ice fishing hut out there over the winter. 10 x 12' ply-wood with a 4x5' hole cut in the ice. It was magical.

Funny thing was, when we locked it up, it would get broken into and vandalized and our stuff stolen. When we would leave it unlocked, it was always in good shape and often there would be some leftover hooks laying around afterward.

The camper reminded me of that. I'm not condoning what they are doing but I bet if they were to lock it up, all of their stuff would get busted and/or stolen. Leave it open; it might be risky, but probably a "safer" bet.

Cheers.

Ya its not fun going down their to see every 1000m a camper out there. Those pictures you took are proof of what you are trying to state. Maybe try to email them to SRD in that area and state your cause. I know some people who have, so more the better. As Maxwell feels, i also agree on some sort of regs for that area, like a camping pass for all to use, or an officer checking things out( would be full time officer- no funds for that). It just p**^es people off :chainsaw:

Max it's time we set up camp right in the middle of them and let loose on the LoopTroop Max mix 24/7.

I just hate it when people abuse a good thing and screw itup for the rest of us.

This guy has an outhouse and everything set up so how freaking random can that be?

A few years ago I was on the Upper Oldman and parked by an unattended site flying a Union Jack. I was with an Irishman and he used there latrine but there was no tissue, he used the closest thing!! Ha! Ha!

A few years ago I was on the Upper Oldman and parked by an unattended site flying a Union Jack. I was with an Irishman and he used there latrine but there was no tissue, he used the closest thing!! Ha! Ha!

Your fishing vest?

Max it's time we set up camp right in the middle of them and let loose on the LoopTroop Max mix 24/7.

I just hate it when people abuse a good thing and screw itup for the rest of us.

This guy has an outhouse and everything set up so how freaking random can that be?

that might jsut be the ticket dude!!! holler at a few oldschool highschool friends and hav ea few raves maybe too!

Make up a "camper for free" sign... somebody will take it.

now this is the ticket. anyone know a good prinitng companty? that can make me up 1000 signs? also anyone wana split gas and go on a 5 day fishin/posting adventure? jj......

Not to be on the neg side, and could not agree more with the above comments...If guy's/public raises to much of a stink...They just might shutter all down completly...Im sure that time is a comin...Government will be sure of that....Theire not makin $$$ off the free campin as of yet....

personally i woudl rather see them shut it down than see people F*CK the areas up and abuse them for free! i random camp all the time.. for a day or two.. sometimes up too a week.. usually not for more than 1 night at a peticular spot tho.. i like too jump around.. mix it up.. makes it easy when i got a week or more booked solid down south guiding... but would be happy too stay and pay at a campsite if i had too ...knowing that this stuff wont happen anymore......

personally i woudl rather see them shut it down than see people F*CK the areas up and abuse them for free! i random camp all the time.. for a day or two.. sometimes up too a week.. usually not for more than 1 night at a peticular spot tho.. i like too jump around.. mix it up.. makes it easy when i got a week or more booked solid down south guiding... but would be happy too stay and pay at a campsite if i had too ...knowing that this stuff wont happen anymore......

Dead on!

We pay to use the river... no problem to pay to use the land (why not an annual camping fee?).

Guys It's the same old same old. If you want change you will have to consider

raising hell with your MLA...that is part of what they get paid for and the pension

for life they get if they make the cut. If your not going to really press the issue

then find another place to fish. Snap some pictures, of the abuser's sites over a

period of time, date and time stamp them so they can be verified and send them

off to Morton and the local MLA and DEMAND they enforce the rules full stop.

Give them some reasonable time to respond. If your are a local to the area in

question get a group together and contact the MLA for the area and suggest you

go for a drive; any hesitation on his/her part should be dealt with at the next election

opportunity. I know it sounds like the same old story but " In a democracy people

deserve the government they elect". MLA's do get listenend to at higher levels. I

am sure Lund got somebody's attention over the heli pad shutdown in Sundre.

Guys the big problem here is that the government knows about the random campers and their overstaying the two weeks. The issue is that most of the random campers come from the general area, ie rural Alberta. The conservatives realize that is their powerbase. As I recall in the last election the major urban areas didn't overwhelmingly elect Special Ed and his cohorts, so he isn't going to piss off those that still support him. I once heard that one rural vote is worth 8 city ones. I have written more than a few letters to Morton and his predecessor about this and other issues, I always get a real nice PFO response.