Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Etiquette

There was an incident on the river today that put a bit of a damper on my fishing experience. I have been stewing about it and wanted to put the subject to the community to see whether or not my actions were out of line.

A buddy and I were fishing a very popular section of the Bow, just below Carburn Park. There had been someone fishing the hole all morning and when they left my buddy and I decided to try our luck. We were about twenty feet away from each other, close enough that we occasionally tangled our lines together when we were not paying attention. I would consider this distance to be "close", even on the Bow.

I happened to look back at shore and noticed someone gearing up. He was friendly enough and we had a bit of a chat about how the day was going. I was definitely curious as to where he was planning on fishing and whether or not he would discuss his plans with us. He did not discuss his plans, placed himself between my buddy and I and proceeded to cast. He set himself eleven steps from where I was fishing. I was shocked that he decided to fish so close to us and called him on it. I suggested that this was a little too close and I think that the term "etiquette" came up. He simply stated that he has fished this section with three people before and did not see a problem with his actions.

I understand that the Bow is a busy river, especially in the city. The stretch we were fishing is hit hard every day. I also understand that during this time of the year many of the fish are congregated in certain key areas. My buddy and I would have been more than happy to share the stretch with this guy. I felt that his actions were out of line as they made both myself and my buddy quite uncomfortable. Are my expectations out of line? I don't fish the Bow much and thought it would be wise to get a second or third opinion. I would appreciate anyones input on this matter.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sucks dude but you have to learn to deal with it in a proper manner..pressure on the Bow has increased ten fold since Ive been fishing it .. there have been countless discussions on this topic on the site.. go fish on the coast for salmon or steelhead and you'll see some real pressure..my 0.02

wow :backaway:

sad ,i feel for ya , thats just way way to close , you must of had the best spot as he knew it , if he was as close as you honestly say , , i'd of grabed the ol 5 of diamonds and put it it his rod good , no need of anyone getting that close , i always like having people join me when i fish , just please say hi and chat for a second , the river is big enough for way more then 3 guys in most holes , just take turns going through them , this sport is more then just about catching fish

I think many of us have had etiquette encounters of one kind or another on some river, and as Brownstone said, its going to happen more and more on the Bow as the pressure increases-especially in the city. I think you did the right thing by talking to the guy first and trying to explain the situation, often this is all that is required and the situation resolves itself in a non-confrontational manner. Then there are other instances where it isn't lack of knowledge, but a malfunction in the person's personality. In that case, I've found it easier to simply fish a different spot. If its any consolation, I would have done the same thing in your situation. However, sometimes a nice "warning shot" via a fly over the head or bow of a close boat helps too!

This topic seems to come up quite a bit.Most if not all people have no clue when it comes to etiquette.This is what i do,i give them a minute or two to ask if they can join.If they don;t ask and continue to BS about other stuff i ask them what there intentions are.I let them no that i don't mind if you join in just give me some room.Or better yet i ask them,you're not thinking of fishing here without asking are you,cause that would be rude.More often then not they walk away or we have a good time fishing.

In my opinion, Tungsten, he way wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of line. I'm not sure how to deal with people like that as from your comments he was not a total jerk. It's sad that at a time when due to the increased crowding, we need more etiquette, we appear to be getting less.

sigh

pat

Ooooooooops! Sorry, when I eneterd the post, I saw the name Tungsten and assumed it was he who posted. Now when I look closer, it was some dude named Quinn. Hope I didn't offend either.

sheesh!

pat

I dont think I have ever turned away anyone who walks up in a courteous manner and asks to fish a run. I get a little vocal with guys who do what that guy did to you, however. It is VERY BAD etiquette to just step in the same run as someone is fishing without first asking them. The people that do it deserve a slap upside the head.

wow :backaway:

sad ,i feel for ya , thats just way way to close , you must of had the best spot as he knew it , if he was as close as you honestly say , , i'd of grabed the ol 5 of diamonds and put it it his rod good , no need of anyone getting that close , i always like having people join me when i fish , just please say hi and chat for a second , the river is big enough for way more then 3 guys in most holes , just take turns going through them , this sport is more then just about catching fish

Yep, 11 steps ( I counted because I knew I was going to post this ). We ended up just leaving and finding some different water. I agree, sharing wasn't the issue for me, it was the imposition without discussion.

Ooooooooops! Sorry, when I eneterd the post, I saw the name Tungsten and assumed it was he who posted. Now when I look closer, it was some dude named Quinn. Hope I didn't offend either.

sheesh!

pat

Two dozen of your best flies and i'll ignore your post.

Yep, 11 steps ( I counted because I knew I was going to post this ). We ended up just leaving and finding some different water. I agree, sharing wasn't the issue for me, it was the imposition without discussion.

Was that you yelling across the river asking me about etiquette?

Quinn,

You were in the right, and this person should have asked if not given you at least 100 meters either side (just what I've been taught)... It's a big river with lots of runs, doesn't mean someone can just wwalk right up and fish right next to you (unless you know the person ;) ) You kept your cool and tried to educate and that's all you could have done...

Just my 2 cents!

P

There was an incident on the river today that put a bit of a damper on my fishing experience. I have been stewing about it and wanted to put the subject to the community to see whether or not my actions were out of line.

A buddy and I were fishing a very popular section of the Bow, just below Carburn Park. There had been someone fishing the hole all morning and when they left my buddy and I decided to try our luck. We were about twenty feet away from each other, close enough that we occasionally tangled our lines together when we were not paying attention. I would consider this distance to be "close", even on the Bow.

I happened to look back at shore and noticed someone gearing up. He was friendly enough and we had a bit of a chat about how the day was going. I was definitely curious as to where he was planning on fishing and whether or not he would discuss his plans with us. He did not discuss his plans, placed himself between my buddy and I and proceeded to cast. He set himself eleven steps from where I was fishing. I was shocked that he decided to fish so close to us and called him on it. I suggested that this was a little too close and I think that the term "etiquette" came up. He simply stated that he has fished this section with three people before and did not see a problem with his actions.

I understand that the Bow is a busy river, especially in the city. The stretch we were fishing is hit hard every day. I also understand that during this time of the year many of the fish are congregated in certain key areas. My buddy and I would have been more than happy to share the stretch with this guy. I felt that his actions were out of line as they made both myself and my buddy quite uncomfortable. Are my expectations out of line? I don't fish the Bow much and thought it would be wise to get a second or third opinion. I would appreciate anyones input on this matter.

Then there are other instances where it isn't lack of knowledge, but a malfunction in the person's personality. In that case, I've found it easier to simply fish a different spot.

personality malfunctions are commonplace i find...but i'm still always shocked when i encounter peeps like this. my reactions to this really depend on many factors, but if it bothers me enough i will speak first, give the opportunity for the person to respond. there are lots of people who just don't know any better and are willing to listen.

if it's a problem for me i have done everything from simply packing up & moving on to ensuring the fish are well aware that a new angler has arrived, to having a good old fashioned screaming match.

but that's not really why i go fishing so usually it's the high road. happened last week - person shows up, no communication, steps into the run far too close, etc etc.

sigh.

a little respect and a 'hello' goes a hell of a long way.

The guy was clearly an idiot, good on you for bringing it up. There is no excuse on water like the bow for that level of crowding. Even in BC generally if you're willing to walk a bit and take the road less traveled you will find open water on salmon rivers. Hopefully the guy reads this board and realizes how foolish his behavior was.

al

I think I might of been across river and saw what had happened and honestly I think if it was infact you it was close to my liking.

Here is how I see things.

If I discuss it with the guy and he is unwilling to comprimise or what not I just get up in move cause people like that no matter what you say it will not change their opion. Better for me to move then ruin my day. Does it make it right, hell no, but will I let it ruin my day, no way....

People are people and they are going to do what they want to regardless to what is proper or not...

If this is was infact you the spot you were in I have come to realize is a problem spot with disrespectful people, so instead of setting myself up with something that could turn a fun day into a *hit show I just choose to not to go to those spots, but that is me, and no one should be forced out of a spot that they were at,,,

Just my two cents.

Me and a buddy ran into a couple of guys below Policemans this early spring at the hole below power line and asked the guy how much room he wanted. He asked the guy he was fishing with and the guy wanted "about 50 yards upstream to that corner and about 50 yards downstream." We were ok dude and went downstream and before we left the guy with stated he was a guide on the river and when come back up stop by and he'll give us one of his cards. Never did go back for his card. We we wrong to be a little peeved at this guy or is that acceptable?

Me and a buddy ran into a couple of guys below Policemans this early spring at the hole below power line and asked the guy how much room he wanted. He asked the guy he was fishing with and the guy wanted "about 50 yards upstream to that corner and about 50 yards downstream." We were ok dude and went downstream and before we left the guy with stated he was a guide on the river and when come back up stop by and he'll give us one of his cards. Never did go back for his card. We we wrong to be a little peeved at this guy or is that acceptable?

100 yards sounds about right on the Bow.. I suppose it depends on how many other people are around too though.

If you ask me I think there is no Set distance but can change from angler to angler. What I do is just ask the angler where "he/she" is fishin and if it is alright if I drop in above or below....

The guy was clearly an idiot, good on you for bringing it up. There is no excuse on water like the bow for that level of crowding. Even in BC generally if you're willing to walk a bit and take the road less traveled you will find open water on salmon rivers. Hopefully the guy reads this board and realizes how foolish his behavior was.

al

Haha. USUALLY you can find water on a salmon river. I had some interesting experiences on the Chilliwack/Vedder during winter steelhead season this year. I would be fishing a run or a hole and occasionally have a center pin guy come walking down the bank toward me. They would slowly let it drift closer and closer until their gear was hanging right in front of me near my cast. I actually had one guy walk up with his gear driftin past me and ask if I could duck so he could pass with his line over me as he wanted to get a good long drift in. WTF?!? What gall I thought. What do you do with this. Although most of those guys were great nad fished with etiquette, we are sooo lucky that the Bow isn't over run by drift fishing as it can be difficult to coexist.

That's bull *hit. I get mad if one of my GOOD fishing buddies gets half that close. It's one thing if you don't know, but the fact that you said something and he still didn't see a problem is ridiculous. You should of 'educated' him with a Sage mustache.