Fly Fusion Forums

Bass Pro Soft Opening

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After I checked out the Bass Pro shop, kinda made me realize how much I enjoy going to the local fly shops. Me and the wife have always tried to give our business to the smaller local shops. There is a certain charm about going to the local fly shop and chatting with the guys.

The Bass Pro shop is a unique store, but as far as fly fishing is concerned, I will continue to support the local guys.

"There are reason's the best casters in the world don't use hundred dollar rods.... "

As an fyi, many of the US tournament distance casters use TFO rods. If you've been to a few events down in the USA, you've seen a lot of "cheap" rods used by a lot of these folks. Just before you get swayed to go that direction, the flip side is that very few of these, when interviewed by <I forget>, actually used these rods to fish with due to preferences. It was in a magazine website article a year or two ago. Hope that helps both sides.

Was there today......WOW, the mounts are incredible. An employee stated they spent $40,000,000 on the displays.

they do carry simms

$40 mill? hard to believe, 4 maybe, of course a mill ain't what it used to be..... just wished I had a couple 'r 3

anybody know when the real GRAND opening is? Maybe worth getting something cheap, my loyalty lies with the smaller fly shops. I believe that they have put in their time, building customers, helping me along my way as I learn. I dont like to think that some dude in the states buying flies in china can really improve my skills, or, for that matter, really care about the quality of our fisheries. I guess I tend to think globally, and act locally!

I forgot to mention that during our family outing there the other day, all the staff was great, very friendly, even if they were just walking by with stock....that is EXCEPT for the fly-fishing area.....the two dudes in there didn't even say 'hi' or ask if I needed a hand, they were not busy and we were the only ones in there! I like to support local shops if the service is there (and it usually is), but if the wife and kids like going out to Bass Pro, we'll definately make a few trips there during the year, especially once the mall opens...there's not many shops that you can go to while the better half is shopping at her favorite stores!

anybody know when the real GRAND opening is? Maybe worth getting something cheap, my loyalty lies with the smaller fly shops. I believe that they have put in their time, building customers, helping me along my way as I learn. I dont like to think that some dude in the states buying flies in china can really improve my skills, or, for that matter, really care about the quality of our fisheries. I guess I tend to think globally, and act locally!

The Easter weekend is what I have heard for the grand opening.

$40 mill? hard to believe, 4 maybe, of course a mill ain't what it used to be..... just wished I had a couple 'r 3

Yeah, I didn't realize how many zeroes were there until I read your post. I haven't seen the store yet, but I'm guessing Jayhad got a little carried away with the zeroes. I could see $40k or maybe even $400k.

Grand opening info here. Damn, just noticed Jeanette Lee is going to be there on the 7th but I can't make it that day.

I feel sorry for the poor 9 year olds in China who had to put the price tags on each fly :blink:

I second that!!! I bought a few flies as some were not to bad...but taking all the mini tags off each fly would drive a guy crazy. I agree with the heard that the fly fishing section wasn't what I had expected but maybe Bass Pro Shop did some good market research and realized their location wasn't the most appealing to the fly fishing community. As well, is it possible the Bass Pro Shop group realized the fly fishing market is fairly well taken care of in Calgary? Maybe they are just good people and didn't want to hurt our favorite little fly shops in town!!!

Either way, cool store and I found the staff great. I spent half an hour with a young staff member who was on his lunch break. He was so excited to point out all the different fish...he also was responsible for catching a bunch of them.

mkm

I went up to check the store out and it is pretty cool. None of the local fly shops will have anything to worry about, if anything it should increase their business in the long run. When someone that does not fish or hunt goes in there it should inspire them to start.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

$3.50/ fly is crazy but when you pay a guys $13/hour and those tags are probably around $0.50 each i guess it adds up lol

and that was the right price for all the decorations in there! again a bit too crazy!

but damn is there a wow facor! it still goes thought my brain!

ya it I remember when I was little when I walked into Disney land for the first time, the whole wow, as I just stood there, had that same feeling walking into bass pro. then I saw the hutch, with a bunch of old fly reels sitting in it. I guess when you think of everything that goes into that store to make it so different and stand out. everything would add up pretty quick, but 40 mill? that is hard to belief. but ok.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i noticed all most all the photos said "coutesy of the glenbow museum". I would love to get in and see some of their old photos.