Fly Fusion Forums

Bass Pro Soft Opening

Orvis, Rushton, Brodin, Fisknat and many other hand made nets: all over 100 bucks, and far nicer nets then anything you'll get for less then a hundred bucks

I still think they are nicer nets then the $50 ones you can buy, but do you think 1/2 lb of wood and some "special rubber" is worth $130 bucks.... Hell No. The Materials are probably worth $10 bucks and the labour and "research" maybe add another $30. Doesn't seem to = $130. I still think name and reputation has the biggest bearing on cost.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To continue the hijack...

I tend to be a value buyer--I look for high quality items without the name brand. I've gotten a lot of great deals on great gear. But they engender no feelings of pride or loyalty.

But last year I was talked in to buying a Rushton net called "The Brown". Don't remember the cost, but well north of 100 bucks. I had almost instant buyers regret as I thought I had no need of such a net. I was wrong. I love my net, and have become quite attached to it. Don't know why, but I would HATE to loose it. Again, I don't know why some wood and mesh has become a necessary part of my fishing gear, but it has. If I ever loose it (perish the thought), I'd get another one the next day. Silly, but true.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. I'm a reel junkie and the least expensive one I own is an Islander. Also have high end Nautilus and Loop reels with killer sealed drags even though they're totally unnecessary for trout. As long as I take care of my high end, overpriced gear I know it'll last a lifetime. Buy once, replace never.

Just got back from the store. Holy crap the place is huge. The aquarium had few lunkers in there. The one big rainbow in there looked like he was king of the tank. If any fish came into the area he was chillin in, he would ram them right in the side. Some impressive brookies in there as well. I over heard one of the staff members saying that a 20 lb pike they had in there jumped out of the tank at night, too bad that would have been cool to see. The fly shop was kind of basic, but it has enough stuff that i would probably head there if i needed something in a pinch. I thought they had a great selection of nets, quite a few styles to choose from. I would have to agree that $130 for a net is a little steep, but they sure are a beautiful net. Overall i though it was a pretty good store. Even if you never buy anything there, Its entertaining walking around and checkin everything out.

Why is the fact that $130 for a net is so suprising to some people? I hope your not also the same ones that have you $800 sage rods and $300 reels? You pay for a name on all kinds of things Oakley sunglasses would be one of the first that come to mind. Some people can justify spending that, others cant. Alot of time in the end all you pay for is the name. I bet if you covered the labels up on a bunch of fly rods and cast them all, you would never know who's was who's.

Well over all I thought that the store was pretty good, but as it has been said, the fly section was lacking a little, however the one guy I talked to said there was going to be another fly table coming in, one had been damaged in shipping. even though it is only 5 min. away I'll still be going to my regular shops in town. It was nice however, the wife did not get bored right away and want to go home. she probably could have stayed there longer than I. due to the home decor section, and the coffee shop, and the little shooting game. just keep giving her quarters.

the fly section is a bit small and the gear section is HUGE but oh well.

over $100000 is stuffed fish alone!

Great. You can be sure the gear/baitchucking will increase and more of our fish will end up on walls now. Monkey see monkey do. I hate big stores.

Why is the fact that $130 for a net is so suprising to some people? I hope your not also the same ones that have you $800 sage rods and $300 reels? You pay for a name on all kinds of things Oakley sunglasses would be one of the first that come to mind. Some people can justify spending that, others cant. Alot of time in the end all you pay for is the name. I bet if you covered the labels up on a bunch of fly rods and cast them all, you would never know who's was who's.

I beg to differ......If you couldnt tell the difference....you dont know what your looking for in a rod.

I beg to differ......If you couldnt tell the difference....you dont know what your looking for in a rod.

I beg to differ with you. Have had lots of people from all over the world cast _______ vs _______ with one being high end top brand name **coughsagesough** and the other being a lower priced very popular rod. The low end rod was PREFERRED by feel by most people. They walked away going WTF am I spending 800 bucks on a damn rod for. This was with rods in the 3/4 category.

I beg to differ with you. Have had lots of people from all over the world cast _______ vs _______ with one being high end top brand name **coughsagesough** and the other being a lower priced very popular rod. The low end rod was PREFERRED by feel by most people. They walked away going WTF am I spending 800 bucks on a damn rod for. This was with rods in the 3/4 category.

And i'll beg to differ with you,

Lower end rod's are usually a slower action, which gives the user a much easier time using them if their timing isn't perfect, giving the illusion of it being a better rod, when it is usually hide's the caster's faults . A top end brand name rod, will normally be a fast to ultra-fast action rod which will work far better for someone who has a quick casting stroke, and their timing down with the use of double and single hauls (aka, usually a more experienced angler)... There are reason's the best casters in the world don't use hundred dollar rods....

There are reason's the best casters in the world don't use hundred dollar rods....

Yeah, because they're sponsored and get them for free. Quality of cast = casting ability. I'll give Dany Heatly an old straight-blade Cooper and you can have a Kovalchuk Synergy and he'll still have a better shot. Same goes for casting. I've got Sages and I've got TempleForks and it doesn't really make any difference. Do I enjoy my Sage? Yeah. It's a fine piece of craftsmanship, but don't go kidding yourself.

I am looking forward to checking it out. Most (all) of my fly fishing days also involve camping so I am looking forward to seeing there camping gear and apparel, as for fly fishing I'll stick with my shops here in Calgary. I've checked out there website and wasn't impressed with their selection.

Quality of cast = casting ability. I'll give Dany Heatly an old straight-blade Cooper and you can have a Kovalchuk Synergy and he'll still have a better shot.

I think you're missing my point. Sure Dany Heatley could shoot it better then me with the cooper, but would he not have a better shot in comparison to himself using the synergy?

Just noticed on the website that April Vokey is going to be there..

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...&storeID=75 mentions in part:

Wednesday,April 8th through Saturday, April 11th, you can visit and get angling tips and techniques from Bass Pro Shops national pro team member and host of Facts of Fishing: The Show Dave Mercer as well as Canadian Fly Fisher Magazine's Nick Pujic and April Vokey. Also, visit with respected outdoor writer and outdoorsman Brad Fenson. Wednesday, April 8th learn how to have a more successful day in the field with Canada in the Rough host Thomas Pigeon and April 9th and 10th you won't want to miss hearing champion goose caller, Knight and Hale's J.R. Adkins.

Woot! She's gorgeous:

poster3644768.jpg

*edit* I might as well email her and ask her if she's fishing the Bow while she's here!

Just noticed on the website that April Vokey is going to be there..

as well as Canadian Fly Fisher Magazine's Nick Pujic and April Vokey.

She's gorgeous, so suddenly she's a goddess of fishing (not from the video's ive seen of her casting and fighting fish)..i'd rather talk to this lady any day of the week

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7945

Yeah, there was a bad casting video with April on Speypages and it was old. Her response to it showed a lot of class. Yes, she's pretty and hopefully people who see her get the idea that fly fishing doesn't have to be only for a bunch of old fat guys (the stereotype if you ask most people - no offense intended to any fat old guys). Fortunately she also uses her popularity to start and promote Flies for Fins. If she can market herself and maybe bring a bit of attention to fly fishing and conservation then more power to her.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

oh, shes got my attention. lol

back to the net thing, string diped in rubber and tied to some wood will never be work $130. It doesnt matter how it is made either because i miss step kills a $20 net just as fast as $130 and last i checked the less wood you have to weaker it is, this isnt metals.

rods are a different story and i have no place in that conversation.