Fly Fusion Forums

Waterproof Jackets?

Hey Everyone-

Hoping I could get some advice on buying a new waterproof rain jacket for fishing. I've scoped out a few brands (Simms, Cloudveil, Patagonia) and think I am going to go with the Patagonia Guide Jacket. Anyone have this? If so, how would you rate it?

Also, does anyone know shops in town that would carry Patagonia? Troutfitters does, but is currently closed, and the Patagonia store doesn't carry this particular product.

Thanks!

I have the Guide's predecessor the SST and it's one heckofa jacket!! As I mentioned before on other threads, you can't go wrong with Patagonia (or Simms, for that matter) as their warrantees are THE BEST!! The Guide, SST and Deep Wading jackets are all curently on sale on the Patagonia website (not sure on the sizing that's available).

Cheers,

P

Hey Everyone-

Hoping I could get some advice on buying a new waterproof rain jacket for fishing. I've scoped out a few brands (Simms, Cloudveil, Patagonia) and think I am going to go with the Patagonia Guide Jacket. Anyone have this? If so, how would you rate it?

Also, does anyone know shops in town that would carry Patagonia? Troutfitters does, but is currently closed, and the Patagonia store doesn't carry this particular product.

Thanks!

I've had the Simms G3 for a year and a half now and I don't think it can be beat. The biggest advantage it has over the Patagonia in my opinion is more individual pockets and two integrated zingers for clippers or whatever. There are the two big chest pockets that will each fit a large C+F box and a bunch of smaller pockets with waterproof zippers. I keep my cell phone in one, camera in another, then distribute things like leaders, tippet spools, and other odds and ends between them. I actually miss wearing it in the summer when it's hot out.

I know you didn't mention the Bare jackets, but they may be worth a look. I have one, teh Kodiac model. I have worn it for almost a season with no issues. The thing i liked about it is that it doesn't look like a fishing specific jacket. It maintained it's water proofness during 3 days of fishing in october in BC that was like being in a shower

Guest JayVee

Guys do all these jackets pack down pretty small? I'd like to keep one in my backpack while taking up minimal space, of course.

If you're not set on a sport specific jacket, MEC makes some good stuff.

agree 100%, I have been using my MEC Synergy Gortex jacket for 5+yrs now. No fishing bells and wistles like larger pockets for boxes, but I use my chest back anyway.

They also back there product 100%! I went down with mine as I was getting a splitting zipper and was expecting to buy a new one. Customer service installed a new zipper pull in 5 min, good to go!

I'm way too cheap for Simms, or Patagonia.

I have a Wright and McGill waterproof jacket my wife got me for xmas. I think it is in the $200 range? Love it so far. Lots of big pockets. I fell in the river with it (near the bank, knee deep) and water did not get past the cuffs.

http://www.wright-mcgill.com/index.php?fus...tWearBHJacketFe

I use my Marmot shell for skiing, camping, and fishing, and like Simpson, I use a chestpack, so I don't need to use the pockets. I think the main thing is the waterproofing so you can fish in the rain/snow/sleet and stay dry. MEC's jackets are the best bang for the buck, but Ski Cellar's annual end of season sale is coming up and you can find some sweet deals there.

I use my Marmot shell for skiing, camping, and fishing, and like Simpson, I use a chestpack, so I don't need to use the pockets. I think the main thing is the waterproofing so you can fish in the rain/snow/sleet and stay dry. MEC's jackets are the best bang for the buck, but Ski Cellar's annual end of season sale is coming up and you can find some sweet deals there.

Thanks. I'm actually using my Marmot shell now, but in a day of rain last year on the Oldman I came back to camp a wet dawg...hence my desire for a fully waterproof jacket. I'll check out MEC stuff too...Thanks for all the tips folks!

I got myself a Viking (canadian company) breathable waterproof jacket at Marks Work Wearhouse last year for $110 after tax.

I love it. I also love that it cost me about 1/3 of what the brand name stuff would've cost me.