Fly Fusion Forums

I Am A Convert

Jayhad

Well i guess its cold in Calgary.. :D a lot of fish that are not handled properly die of stress, it has happened at my work at times when we move fish......the bigger the fish the worse it gets, small fry and fingerlings handle the stress much better.

Hope the weather get better soon..... :D

I might fish my 4wt tomorrow, or might have some fun with the 15ft rod...... should anyone care.

Gordo.

What do Speyghillies really know about Spey Casting?

so true.. but its fun learning.

First of all Mark I think you need to re-read my post, where did I say using a lighter rod kills the fish I was talking about the length of the fight and not the size of the rod. Like I said I I PERSONALLY LIKE TO LAND THE FISH QUICKLY SO I CAN RELEASE THE FISH QUICKER.

Also I said at the very end EACH TO HIS OWN.

Edit: Here is what is said in my post: Big long fights tend to kill fish, even though they may release great but they can go somewhere hide behind a rock and not feed for a long time, thus allowing them to die.

And btw talking to a biologist I was informed that long hard fight on fish causes them to build up ectroacids (I think that is what he said) which can cause fish to die.

Brad, I was just pointing out that you can land a fish just as quickly with a lighter rod as you can with a heavy one. If we're both using the same class tippet I guarantee I can land fish just as fast with my 6 wt as you can with your 9. I go with heavier tippet so I can land them faster and usually have a fish released less than five minutes after I hook it.

And I like cake.

So I have been fighting the urge to use my Spey rod on the Bow. I have a 9wt 13'2" and I always thought it was to big, plus I hated teh scandi line i have on it as I bought it to huck streamers. 420flyfisherman has teh same rod as me and hes has been doing well chucking nymph rigs. After fishing with Bhurt, my eyes were opened and I decided to start using my spey again. Well today I took it out and had a great time. I missed several fish as I found with such long casts I had a good amount of slack in my line, but I am working on that. I did happen to score a nice 20" brown to hand though, so all in all a great day to cast bombs.

Thanks Spey community

Jay

What line did you end up going with for it?

JMasson I could show you a few places in Alberta where you NEED 15' of T14 for 30"+ fish, but none I have found are on the Bow.

Odd, following your posts back, you've had very limited success in Alberta..and only one "30" bull to speak of (that you've posted anyway)

and where you caught it, you certaintly don't need 15 feet of T14.

Let us know where you're catching all these other 30+ inch fish, yet haven't posted any pics of

Anyway, back to my argument about a 9 being a tid bit large

I've caught my fair share of main stem skeena steelhead, with fish over 20lbs, on a 9 weight 14' spey rod (do you realise, that in a single hand setup, a 9 weight spey is equivalent to nearly a 16 weight single hand for pure power (going by grain weight)?)...I practice on the bow when i need to, and feel that the fish hit harder then most late season steelhead, but take all of 30 seconds to reel in...there is landing fish fast, then there is skipping them back to you..

Just my opinion...but then again, i don't catch more fish then everyone else on the river combined....so what do i know

So I have been fighting the urge to use my Spey rod on the Bow. I have a 9wt 13'2" and I always thought it was to big, plus I hated teh scandi line i have on it as I bought it to huck streamers. 420flyfisherman has teh same rod as me and hes has been doing well chucking nymph rigs. After fishing with Bhurt, my eyes were opened and I decided to start using my spey again. Well today I took it out and had a great time. I missed several fish as I found with such long casts I had a good amount of slack in my line, but I am working on that. I did happen to score a nice 20" brown to hand though, so all in all a great day to cast bombs.

Thanks Spey community

Jay

jayjjones11,

Apparently you and a few others have missed it completely and still don't get it, so I have highlighted it for all of you to read again.

Seems as though you have come on this thread with an agenda...Did you win? Feel better? Anymore cheap shots or words of wisdom to entertain us with?

Greg

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i think most people missed what its about (except brichy your on the nose lol). Too many people trying to say your using your stick wrong when its all about getting out on the water and having FUN, if fishing isnt fun for you any more you need a new hobby.

These debates fascinate me. Why do we seem to feel it is necessary to defend our choice of gear by bashing someone elses choice of gear? If I choose to only fish water within 20 ft of the bank with a 3 wt or bomb a spey rod to a mid river seam, why would anyone else care? Fishing is about personal choice. If you enjoy your method and think it is the best, fine. But realize it is just the best for you. You do not get to decide what is best for someone else. People enjoy this sport in an infinite number of ways. There is no such thing as "the best."

I also find the speed of landing fish debate interesting. I agree that a smaller rod will protect the tippet, and in the hands of an experienced fisherman that can lead to faster landing of fish with less break offs. For most of us however, I don't think we put nearly enough pressure on the fish with the small rod for fear of breaking off. We care too much if we land the big fish, and don't have the experience required to push the gear nearer to it's limits. At least I know I don't. I fish with my 3 wt on the bow from time to time and I know I don't land fish as quickly as I do with my 6. That is certainly more a function of me than the rod, but the result is the same.

Odd, following your posts back, you've had very limited success in Alberta..and only one "30" bull to speak of (that you've posted anyway)

and where you caught it, you certaintly don't need 15 feet of T14.

Let us know where you're catching all these other 30+ inch fish, yet haven't posted any pics of

Anyway, back to my argument about a 9 being a tid bit large

I've caught my fair share of main stem skeena steelhead, with fish over 20lbs, on a 9 weight 14' spey rod (do you realise, that in a single hand setup, a 9 weight spey is equivalent to nearly a 16 weight single hand for pure power (going by grain weight)?)...I practice on the bow when i need to, and feel that the fish hit harder then most late season steelhead, but take all of 30 seconds to reel in...there is landing fish fast, then there is skipping them back to you..

Just my opinion...but then again, i don't catch more fish then everyone else on the river combined....so what do i know

Jayjones,

When you skip the fish across the river what size are they?

I have yet to do this with any trout over the size of 15 inches, and 14 and smaller I can make them skip across the river with my 6wt 9 foot TFO single hander, it all comes down to how you play the fish, putting the boots to them and lifting your stick as high as you can you diffently will skip some fish. Most of the time I am applying side pressure to the trout to turn it back into the shore so not often I raise my stick as high as I can. Also you think your going to skip a 20+ brown or Rainbow across the river. I very highly doubt that.

By the way since you are the expert, what is the grain WINDOW of my rod or gregg's, do you even know?

I am extremly sadden to see people such as yourself come on a thread that was about having fuin and start questioning everyone and talking about how you are a mighty Spey guy for the bow river (hate to tell you this but Steelhead and Rainbows or browns are a bit diffrent) but yet have never seen much possitive come out of it.

Also if you have a problem with gregg then why attack him on someone else thread, which in my mind just ruined a good thread, why not start another thread, I guess experts just don't think of other people.

Spout your crap about me, I don't really care too much, I'll keep on doing my thing regardless to what the so called "INTERNET EXPERTS" SUCH AS YOURSELF has to say.

hey there guys,jayjjones is just pointing out that a 9wt is to big for the bow. he is correct.Jayhad seems to have had the same feeling yet still had fun getting out there. a nine wt used to be the most common first spey rod for steelheaders (a little big for me personally). Most people cant afford to buy several spey rods so try to buy one that will cover all the bases. Personally 6,7,8 wts 12.5 ft - 14 ft speyrods are my choice for steel. I like to have a 9wt for the chrome dome chinooks. for the bow a 5,6 wt.

Toolman, love to be able to catch as many fish as you?

PK

Why do we seem to feel it is necessary to defend our choice of gear by bashing someone elses choice of gear?

well spoke. if you wish you can have these kinds of useless debates over anything - fishing with or without an indy, dries only vs. nymphs/streamers, one fly vs. two...

i have cast a spey rod, and i've seen it used to it's potential. i absolutely get it. if i fished the skeena every day i'd be all over that program i'm sure...but that's not to say it's not a useful or fun method to use on the bow either. same thing with a 3wt.

'fill yer boots' if that's what you like to use.

thanks for the original post...pretty sure someday when i've figured out the singlehanded thing to my satisfaction i'll have a spey rod in my regular arsenal.

probably own a 3 wt too.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i have skipped a fish! he was about 6 inches (maybe, probalby 4). I dont really understand why you care about how stressed the fish is when your pulling him in.

you just put a hook though his FACE and are now dragging him though his living room and then into outer space (as far as hes concerned).

I'm pretty sure our group will continue to fish the way we want. Your welcome to come to my house anytime and I'll show you alot of pics from our trips that don't get posted on the boards. When we find a spot we generally don't share it with everyone. Opinions are like assholes everyone has them and should be kept to themselves. :toilet:

...assholes are sort of like snow flakes too, their all different.....lol

...thank God assholes don't fall outta the sky in winter. I'd own an ***hole shovel, assholeboarding would be an Olympic

sport, and the kids would be making ***hole-angels. Wouldn't it be nasty gettin' hit in the face with an assholeball? :barf: :barf:

Now, back to the original post:

Spey away, friend! Whatever puts a smile on yer face, right? For some,it's speycasting; for some, it's single-hand flyfishing;

for others(you know who you are...), it's logging onto a fishing forum & slagging anyone who doesn't conform to their ideals

of how to fish.

Do yer own thing, & have fun! :sunny:

...thank God assholes don't fall outta the sky in winter. I'd own an ***hole shovel, assholeboarding would be an Olympic

sport, and the kids would be making ***hole-angels. Wouldn't it be nasty gettin' hit in the face with an assholeball? :barf::barf:

Now, back to the original post:

Spey away, friend! Whatever puts a smile on yer face, right? For some,it's speycasting; for some, it's single-hand flyfishing;

for others(you know who you are...), it's logging onto a fishing forum & slagging anyone who doesn't conform to their ideals

of how to fish.

Do yer own thing, & have fun! :sunny:

You're an @ss Bob. :P