Fly Fusion Forums

If You Could Win Your "ultimate Fly Rod"

The sole purpose of this survey is to determine the specific fly fishing rod configuration

that a general cross-section of the fly fishing community would use in their own, personal applications.

The names, email addresses of the respondents will NOT be used in any way, other than

to identify the survey response and to chose a draw prize winner. The overall results of the survey will

assist a Canadian company to build and supply to the market, a better fly rod product and perhaps,

identify a product that may have been omitted by fly rod manufacturers.

**All of those persons completing the survey below will have their name entered in a draw for a Fly Combo.

The winner will be given a choice of models.

**TO SUBMIT THIS SURVEY & ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS FOR THE DRAW PRIZE:

**COPY AND PASTE THE COMPLETED SURVEY IN AN EMAIL AND SEND TO:

FlyRodSurvey@gmail.com

thank you for you time, effort and knowledge in completing this survey.

NAME:_______________________________________________________

PROVINCE/STATE OF RESIDENCE:____________________________

YEARS OF FLY FISHING EXPERIENCE?:___________

WHERE DO YOU FLY FISH?:

LARGE LAKES_____

SALTWATER_____

STILLWATERS_____

STREAMS_____

RIVERS______

OTHER(Please specify)_______________________________

FLY RODS:

HOW MANY "REGULARLY USED RODS" DO YOU OWN?:_________________(This information will NOT be relayed to any other

member of your family !)

REGULARLY USED FLY ROD CONFIGURATIONS:

LINE WEIGHT # OF PIECES LENGTH ACTION(M-moderate)

(MF-mod-fast)

(F-fast)

-___________ _______ ________ _____

-___________ ______ ________ _____

-__________ ______ ________ _____

-__________ _______ ________ _____

-__________ _______ ________ _____

IF you had the opportunity to have THE ULTIMATE FLY ROD built for you,

what would be the configuration?

Line Weight: _________

# of Pieces:______

Length:_________

Action:_________

Additional notes:

Thank You

Hey guys:

I'm Jack, and the author of the survey. And yes, it is legit. I recently took a position with a Canadian fishing equipment manufacturer, headquartered/warehouse(and owner lives) in Burnaby, BC. I am tasked with developing fly fishing products for the Canadian, U.S and European market. The online survey on as many cooperating forums as possible, was my brainwave. The concept is to ask real fly fishers what they would like to have in their hands if they could choose their fly rod. No promo, no spam, no BS. I would simply like to know, if you could pick just one(and as a guy who owns 20+ fly rods, for 10 different fishing situations and a backup for each, I really do know what that question entails), what it would be. I would like to know if the market is meeting the requirements of flyfishers and if not, then just maybe the manufacturer that I am involved with could do something constructive about it.

Intro: Just for everyone's info, I am Director of Marketing and Product Development for Amundson Fly Fishing. Been chucking feathers for almost 25 years, mostly wave the stick over the incredibly productive trout stillwaters of the Cariboo/Chilcotin, in BC, but I have been known to skulk along the Elk River, Crowsnest, Highwood, Bow, and some special creeks off the Forestry Trunk Road that are tribs of the Old Man. Been tying and creating patterns for about 15 years, building fly rods for 10 years. Retired early so I could do more fly fishing. (Accepted the "Director" thing because it provided an opportunity to play with and create some cool stuff!).

We really do appreciate the crew here for their support and look forward to doing some product testing and reviews when the water gets a bit softer.

We have received almost a hundred responses so far, from two web forums(FlyBC.ca and WesternSportfishing.ca). A very high percentage are concise, specific and very articulate and very much appreciated.

Appreciate your input and thank you for your time and the sharing of your knowledge.

j

Watch out Jack...too much time designing fly rods means less time fishing.

Let me know when you want to test those designs out though and we'll hook up in the Kootneys again.

Hey Bloom! I knew you'd be here! Just now planning another trip. Going to have to drag you a tad further West this time, want to spend a day or two on the Granby? I will contact you by email a little later in the winter. Want to send a couple of prototypes out for your critical evaluation.

My rule is, once the water gets soft, work gets put away! So I have to get as many people involved as possible, so I can compile and get it done before ice-off. :)

regards

j

Hi Jack welcome to FFC.I'd say if you could build something close to a Z axis 9' 5wt with a fighting but that can be removed ,1 year warranty for 250$ you would have a winner. I know I'm probably dreaming.

Thanks, Tung: Actually my first "co-op" design was prototyped, tested and approved late last fall, and the first 200 units were produced last week. Can't spill the beans just yet, as the introduction will not be until March 6th at the Fraser Valley Boat & Sportsmen's Show. There will be a couple of these new rods being test flown in Edmonton and Calgary/Lethbridge, shortly after that.

I can tell you that it will be a 5wt, fast action, lifetime warranty and retail at $250 or less.

Full details when it's time. Promise.

j

WHERE DO YOU FLY FISH?:

LARGE LAKES_____

SALTWATER_____

STILLWATERS__x___

STREAMS__x___

RIVERS___x___

FLY RODS:

HOW MANY "REGULARLY USED RODS" DO YOU OWN?:__3__ (This information will NOT be relayed to any other

member of your family !)

REGULARLY USED FLY ROD CONFIGURATIONS:

LINE WEIGHT # OF PIECES LENGTH ACTION(M-moderate)

(MF-mod-fast)

(F-fast)

-_____6______ ____4___ ____9____ ___MF (DanCraft Sig V)

-_____3______ ___4___ _____8.5___ ___Uber Fast (DanCraft FT)

-_____1_____ ___2___ _____7___ ___MF (DanCraft Sig III)

Obviously, I like DanCraft.

IF you had the opportunity to have THE ULTIMATE FLY ROD built for you,

what would be the configuration?

Line Weight: ____3_____

# of Pieces:___3___

Length:____10ft_____

Action:____MF_____

Additional notes: 3wt because I like light rods. 3 piece because I think 4 might be too much and 2 is too little (big when broken down), 10ft for nymphing and flicking ability, plus it would help when sitting in a toon, MF for casting and fighting feel. I believe a rod doesn't have to be heavy to land big fish, as long as I can trust it won't break on me. If I'm into a big honker, I just have to make sure I don't put too much bend in the rod and make sure I use butt to land it. So to me, this would be the rod I would use for most fishing situations I find myself in.

Noooo, I have two, that's enough. :)

j

I now own 7, 2 yrs ago none, neat rods in shorter lengths (under 8ft) Hardy, Scott, TFO, Lamiglass, Tom Morgan, Dave Redington are currently producing glass rods and/or blanks. bit of an ignored niche market. Only rods I'm willing to spend big bucks on after 40+ of fishing will be fiberglass and or bamboo.

I'm totally ignorant of the new fiberglass stuff. I have two that were built in the mid-'60s. My Lamiglas spey is graphite(the old Mike Maxwell taper 5/7wt).

Gawwwwd ! All I need is another distraction! I must pick your brain about those rods when I'm done with my latest three simultaneous projects! I'll bug you after March the 9th.

j

I'd like a rod somewhere near 4km long.

With precise precision.

It has to be able to fold up into my hand and weigh less that 3oz.

Something at home drifting $4.00 worth of feathers and silk delicately across a spot of water as well as hucking $6.00 worth of deer hair, hackle and lead onto the far bank.

I want a rod with character...like Joe Pecicci in Good Fellas.

I want a rod that is able to, at my command, either become a walkie talkie or a police baton.

I want a rod that buzzes like a light saber.

I want a rod with 640 gigs of memory.

I want a rod with free nights and weekends.

I want a rod that loves me for me.

I want a rod that has a stealth mode.

I want a rod with build in GPS and cupholders.

I want the rod Batman would use if Batman needed to flyfish.

With precise precision.

Something at home drifting $4.00 worth of feathers and silk delicately across a spot of water as well as hucking $6.00 worth of deer hair, hackle and lead onto the far bank.

I want a rod that is able to, at my command, either become a walkie talkie or a police baton.

LoL Yeah that the rod I need

With precise precision.

I want all of the above plus a rod that ships with one (I'm not greedy, or choosy) of the following: Catherine Zeta Jones, Nicole Kidman, or Jessica Alba. Naturally, they help net the fish and snap pics.

Sorry for the continued highjack, I couldn't resist.

Smitty

I'd like a rod somewhere near 4km long.Check

With precise precision.Check

It has to be able to fold up into my hand and weigh less that 3oz.Check

Something at home drifting $4.00 worth of feathers and silk delicately across a spot of water as well as hucking $6.00 worth of deer hair, hackle and lead onto the far bank.Check

I want a rod with character...like Joe Pecicci in Good Fellas.Sorry, how about Mell Gibson in "Brave Heart" ?

I want a rod that is able to, at my command, either become a walkie talkie or a police baton.Why not BOTH ?

I want a rod that buzzes like a light saber.That's a hum, not a buzz, you're thinking of something else.

I want a rod with 640 gigs of memory.Is 1028 gb OK?

I want a rod with free nights and weekends.Sorry, they don't swing that way.

I want a rod that loves me for me.Just as soon as we find out exactly what you are.

I want a rod that has a stealth mode.Check

I want a rod with build in GPS and cupholders.You want the cupholders to balance or counter balance ?

I want the rod Batman would use if Batman needed to flyfish.This IS the rod Batman uses.

Wind_Warrior_1106_Spey.jpg

:)