Fly Fusion Forums

Licenses For Guides???

Jayhad

Figured this would be the best place to ask so here it goes.

Are guides licensed in Alberta, like other provinces?

Is there a provincial guide association?

I have some family coming in from over sees next year and they would like to go fishing. I decided what better way to show them a good time then have them guided on the Bow, I started looking into guides and didn't notice any of them advertising that they were licensed. So I did some searching on SRD's website couldn't find any info there either regarding licenses.

Can any gomer with a drift boat say he/she is a guide and start dooping potential clients?

Word of advice, go through a fly-shop for guides that you know are tried and true. Any "gomer" with a nice website and a boat can pretend to be a guide..

even if you go though a fly-shop, doesn't mean you'll get a "guide" .. whats your definition of a guide anyway? he/she has to be employed by a fly-shop?..I can tell you this- when it gets busy I know some fly-shops will pay any "gomer" to row customers down the river..many giving the work to the lowest bidder...Is it right? not at all..but thats the way it is..I believe there should be a set standard for guides in Alberta.

All guides should be licenced period.

The Alberta Gov't needs to step up, and anglers need to make the gov't aware of how we feel.

I agree that all guides should be licensed, but really I am not going to fight for guides that is their responsibility. I am surprised there isn't pressure being applied by established guides, you would think they would like to seperate themselves from the unsavory

ON a side note I will be offering my services as a guide, I don't have a drift boat but I can be a gomer and I have almost 1 fairly unproductive season on the bow..... haha

In BC they also have an assistant guide license.

Yes they do but the assistant guide must be under the "umbrella of a licensed guide" that meaning the liability insurance must be covered by the licensed guide and the assistant must operate under the same business name.

Is this for the net guy???

Who??

I was up fishing the bow this summer and who drifts by but Barry white , I think he was one of the first guides running clients down the bow. At first i thought it was santa clause but no it was just barry. I believe all you would need to guide in Alberta is a business lisense and some form of insurance in case you got yourself sued. If you happen to drown a few of your clients your going to want to have your ass covered.

Word of advice, go through a fly-shop for guides that you know are tried and true. Any "gomer" with a nice website and a boat can pretend to be a guide..

and any gomer with a hammer can call themself a carpenter. (does that mean he has work?) I would normally be all for it. but liscenced guides in bc have allot of clout, and the government listens to them. the unfortunate thing is that the things that change are only beneficial to them. ie they complain when they feel the river gets to crowded and soloutions like classified days in the east kootneys, and the new skeena management plan (what a joke), 8 days limited entry. tough call

and any gomer with a hammer can call themself a carpenter. (does that mean he has work?) I would normally be all for it. but liscenced guides in bc have allot of clout, and the government listens to them. the unfortunate thing is that the things that change are only beneficial to them. ie they complain when they feel the river gets to crowded and soloutions like classified days in the east kootneys, and the new skeena management plan (what a joke), 8 days limited entry. tough call

I'm all for biased licensing based on where you pay your taxes. In terms of watershed management plans, with the exception of a few walleye lakes, we don't know enough, nor do we have the will to put firm regulations in place like that (not that I agree with them at all, I'm now not rich enough to fish where I want to). Guides being forced to report creels (or at least fishing days per watershed) would be a huge benefit to management in the province, and if any group in Alberta gets off their butt to speak for a public resource, more power to them!

Any gomer with a boat can be a "guide" in Alberta.

If there was a license then you would have licensed "gomer guides" in Alberta.

If you are looking for a reputable guide this board is a good place to start. Ask for a refferal from members, as lots have used the services of guides.

It is fishing not open heart surgery.

* I would like to add that a good guide is all relative to the client in his boat. Some guides do good with newbies, drifting the middle of the river with cork, getting unexperienced fishermen into fish, everyone is happy. Heck a mediocre fishing day can be made better with a good lunch for some. I have been with guides that this is the norm, regardless of the client and it was a battle to get them to spot structure and positioning the boat from the bank to throw streamers and dries, way more work for the guide with the latter. My point is some guides love newbies (easier) and some love guiding experience, and not all excel at both. Not sure how a license (tax) would solve this?

Should be a fish tax. Every time u catch a fish you have to record it and later pay the gov't. Hell at least i'd owe them next to nothing.

Might as well shut down the fishing reports section of the board then. Instead of guys claiming to catch 30+ fish every day nobody would ever admit to catching anything. :P

Folks,

The licensing of Guides in Alberta was an issue that the Provincial Fisheries Roundtable looked at over the past year. Here is a comparison of Guide Licensing Fees across Canada. The only Province that may charge guides enough to recover the cost of administration may be BC. The indication of SRD was that licensing of guides in Alberta will not happen.

catch ya'

Don

Guidelicensefee.jpg

Yay! More regulations!! More administrative paperwork without enforcement!!

If we have enough, nothing bad will ever happen.

I agree. Not sure what licensing would be aimed at. While were at it. Can anyone explain why we have to register our cars every year?