Fly Fusion Forums

The Official 08/2099 Shack Nasties Thread (nsfw And Anything Goes)

LE is also gay.

gay   /geɪ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [gey] Show IPA Pronunciation

adjective, -er, -est, noun, adverb

–adjective

1. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.

2. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.

3. given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.

4. licentious; dissipated; wanton: The baron is a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My top 5 baits for the bow:

1. Trout fry. My fav is upper highwood and oldman. Before I get flamed, relax, if there aren't any spots on the dorsal I throw'em back.

2. Brown trout roe. Hit the Bow redds in the late Oct. This time of the year is money. I like to stick them in pickle jars for the year.

3. Dewies! The bigger the better. Much better than a wire wrapped SJW. Gotta leave the barbs on to keep the bastards on your hook though.

4. Smoked Oysters from Safeway. Rig up a couple rods with pickerel rigs stuffed with oysters and lob them into middle of the river. Keep an extra tin for a snack while watching your set ups.

5. Corn. Trout love the corn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alrighty then I'm going to stir things up, because it's getting warm and some folks here have been fishing all week, and I haven't wet a line in almost two months. I think that the Livingstone/Oldman should be subject to some type of angler limiting system. There are way too many people fishing that river. The last time I was out every fish had broken off hooks in them, one had two hooks one in its mouth and it was foul hooked near the tail. And one fish was so scarred I quit fishing, its jaws were black and rotten looking with no cartilage left anywhere on its mouth. I think it should be designated as a draw river where you pay extra to fish a "beat". Only a certain amount of anglers would be allowed to fish the beat in a year. Alberta anglers could pay a annual surcharge and enter into draws for all the beats they want. Out of country anglers would pay extra and BC anglers would be subject to an even higher daily fee.

Well lets say that there are about 120 days a year that the river is open to fishing. So you get about 70 good days without runoff and cold weather. I'm being pessimistic here. As we all know cutts are pretty susceptible to the fly. So if each fish gets only hooked twice a day, which I think is realistic as I have read here of people going back to a pool/run and catching the fish that broke them off earlier and retrieving their fly. That means the fish are getting caught over a hundred times a year easily. Poke a barbless hook into the same place on your hand a hundred times over a 3 month period and see what happens. Anyone know the population density on the Liv/Oldman? Fish per Km? I bet it's not that high. If there were a draw system where extra revenue was generated it could be used for more enforcement too.

It would be hard to be grumpier than I am right now. Can't fish, can't ski. WTF else is there to do in this god forsaken country? Watch hockey? Crap.

I did take the kids skiing yesterday to Sunshine and sat in the car listening to football games and reading "Season's of a Fisherman" by Haig-Brown. I wanted to take them to Castle (189 cm reported mid mountain), but I thought I might kill myself or someone else if I couldn't ski myself AND had to drive over what was sure to be an open Crowsnest. Would have been to hard for me to take.

On the Livingston/Oldman question:

Where would everyone go then? The Crow? One of the Castles? Racehorse? Elk? etc, etc.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but restricted access/rod days? Do you really think that would work? Do we have the enforcement necessary? I'm not altogether against it, but I don't know if it is feasible. And I do fear the pressure on other bodies of water.

[

On the Livingston/Oldman question:

Where would everyone go then? The Crow? One of the Castles? Racehorse? Elk? etc, etc.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but restricted access/rod days? Do you really think that would work? Do we have the enforcement necessary? I'm not altogether against it, but I don't know if it is feasible. And I do fear the pressure on other bodies of water.

This is what I'm trying to get going, some debate, the issue will have to be addressed at some time. There are more and more fishermen and the quality of the experience will deteriorate, they limit angler numbers on many rivers in Europe and eastern North America. I think that the Livingstone, particularly in some of the more accessible portions needs some type of protection. Like I said if you charge a fee then you can pay for the enforcement from the fees. As far as pressure on other rivers, why not spread it out. Right now there are anglers who only fish the Livingstone when they go to the foothills. There are plenty of other waters and I fish some bigger rivers where I have rarely seen other people. They say the majority of anglers rarely get more than a mile from their vehicle.