Fly Fusion Forums

What Makes A Pro?

bhurt

A professional is by the dictionary's explanation someone who makes a living in whole or part at a certain profession.

The intro to this section says"

"Need help getting started with the sport or improving on current skills? This is your chance to ask the guides your lingering questions about flyfishing. Please keep in mind these folks are busy and will get your answers as soon as they can."

So I guess it refers to someone who someone who has been a paid guide, or works in other areas of the sport where professional stasis is recognized or paid for (eg: casting instructors, fly tiers who sell their work, river guides etc.). I guess it would cover people who have professional grade experience or knowledge.

This is just my opinion, perhaps a moderator can shed more light on the matter.

A professional is by the dictionary's explanation someone who makes a living in whole or part at a certain profession.

The intro to this section says"

"Need help getting started with the sport or improving on current skills? This is your chance to ask the guides your lingering questions about flyfishing. Please keep in mind these folks are busy and will get your answers as soon as they can."

So I guess it refers to someone who someone who has been a paid guide, or works in other areas of the sport where professional stasis is recognized or paid for (eg: casting instructors, fly tiers who sell their work, river guides etc.). I guess it would cover people who have professional grade experience or knowledge.

This is just my opinion, perhaps a moderator can shed more light on the matter.

Just cause you get paied to do something in my own opion does not make you a pro. I have lots of people that work for me and I pay them does it make them a pro, hell no.

My whole point to this is that I see alot of comments from people that I see as Amatures at the best and not pro's.

I would consider someone like Jim and the boys pro's.

Just my two bits.

I think we have already been down this road... http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?showtopic=150

My view is that some people want to help by sharing their experiences...Some may not be experts, but what's the harm if they give their opinion. Worst case, if there are opposing views, then there can be a good dialogue and maybe everyone learns a thing or two.

maybe were missing the point of the question. is the asker actually wondering if hes a pro yet? if you have been doing this long enough there would be no question. you go fishing in any condition and either have a successful day or know exactly what went wrong. to me, a pro can perform the said action without hesitation. but now that your a "pro", do you really know everything? ive seen two types of "pro fisherman" on the river. those who know everyting and those who continue to listen and learn. when your ready to be a pro, people will let you know. till then stop wondering, enjoy the fact your good at what you do and never ignore or dismiss the people you may not consider a pro.

Tough question-I know I have fished with some guides(mostly tropical) who definitely were not Pros experience wise and guided some clients who are as Pro as you can get! I think the whole idea of the forum is to share knowledge and enjoy the quest and lets face it even an old dog can learn new tricks!!!!

I have to say I agree with bowbonehead........ Some of the best fishermen I know don't make a cent off of fishing and its usually by choice. I personally don't see fishing as something I want to make money off of anymore...... For me it kinda taints fishing. Thats a personal view of myself not of others though so no offence is intended to anyone who does. I have also met a lot of guides who are site specific "pros" and when taken away from their comfort zone are just regular fishermen who have to figure it out as they go like everyone else.

Anyways whatever the definition is of a Profesional fisherman I like the way this section of the forum works. People ask questions and recieve answers from people who have an insight on the topic...... As far as I am concerned the people answering don't need to be paid professionals for their opinions to have merit. As an example if I had questions about flats fishing off the Texas coast I would hope for answers from Rickr (who as far as I know does not make money off of fishing(cause he had a way cooler job hunting Commies)). Some of the Alberta trout guides would have insights to the topic but would likely not really be what one call an expert in that area.

Guest RedWiggler
I have to say I agree with bowbonehead........ Some of the best fishermen I know don't make a cent off of fishing and its usually by choice. I personally don't see fishing as something I want to make money off of anymore...... For me it kinda taints fishing. Thats a personal view of myself not of others though so no offence is intended to anyone who does. I have also met a lot of guides who are site specific "pros" and when taken away from their comfort zone are just regular fishermen who have to figure it out as they go like everyone else.

Anyways whatever the definition is of a Profesional fisherman I like the way this section of the forum works. People ask questions and recieve answers from people who have an insight on the topic...... As far as I am concerned the people answering don't need to be paid professionals for their opinions to have merit. As an example if I had questions about flats fishing off the Texas coast I would hope for answers from Rickr (who as far as I know does not make money off of fishing(cause he had a way cooler job hunting Commies)). Some of the Alberta trout guides would have insights to the topic but would likely not really be what one call an expert in that area.

I heard that he does make money off of fishing, through the grapevine I heard that Rickr is a guide now........................................

Guest RedWiggler

Is it like in golf, you go out and play for your Pro card, if you play good that week you get a card that says your a pro (they will give a card to anyone around here). Im not a Pro but have & can beat 2/3's of the Pros I have played with or against. Is there something like this in Flyfishing????? can you go out and get a pro card or is being a Pro in flyfishing just a state of mind? Those guys that go out and fish Bass tourneys every week are they not considered Professional Anglers???? I think the word Pro is used fairly loosely in fishing, you do not need to be a Pro to catch more fish than the next guy. Its certainly not like golf were you actually have to be good to produce results.