Fly Fusion Forums

Official Oilers 2008/2048 Season Thread

Some good points, Ayr.......I disagree however with the "only one first line forward" observation.....Hemsky for sure and perhaps Morrow.......But look at all the young talent on that team and compare it to Chicago........Why aren't we getting better??..........Coaching!!.....I like McT as well but we've changed almost everything in the past 15 months and now we need to finish the job........How can a team that showed so much promise be mired in mediocrity at this point of the season??..........Let's face it---they aren't getting better and that's what good coaches do..........They take young talent and make it better.......With the likes of Cogliano, Nilsson, Gagne, Pouliot, etc., etc. they just aren't reaching their potential........And lets face it, guys like Grebezkov don't belong.........That's Lowe's job...........We have lots of raw material, now just need the management to make it into something great...........I too am a fan but it's painful to watch so much potential go unrealized...........I'm doing the same with my Lethbridge Hurricanes and for the same reasons........

Ok ADC, we can disagree, that's cool, but after reading your comment that is highlighted I think I will pass on the opportunity to continue this fun little back and forth. Morrow plays for Dallas and he is firstline-ish. Now if you meant Moreau, I'm definitely done as his career highs in a single season;

2003-04 Edmonton NHL GP 81 G 20 A 12 PTS 32

A blood and guts leader and worthy captain who is rarely out-worked, sure. But to declare him a first line talent, NO WAY !!

I know that I asked this previously, but it went unanswered;

"It's pretty easy to scapegoat these two, but I am much more interested to hear your suggested replacements, if you had your way and they were both gone tomorrow.'

You're probably a cool guy, hopefully we'll get a chance to wet a line sometime, but please let's not debate hockey anymore.

Ayr.

I think MacT is going senile or something adc...

I'm sorry Ayr, but I have to disagree as well. MacT needs to be canned at this point. Whether or not he's a good coach is irrelevant.. the team isn't playing for him anymore.

Too many stupid decisions trying to "shake things up". Here.. have a read:

http://www.oilersnation.com/2009/02/fire-craig-mactavish/

Oh.. and my vote for his replacement goes to Pat Quinn.

Again, it's cool to disagree Birchy, there would be less conversation without it. I read the blog link you sent me thanks. The challenge is the majority of his points are weak and some are just plain ill-informed. Take the Curtis Glencross example, for instance.

"Brodziak was great last year, catching fire along with Stortini and some guy who wasn’t quite good enough to be brought back in the summer(Glencross)."

There is no doubt the Oilers had interest, but they had placed their priority on attempting to sign a guy named Marian Hossa at the time, ring a bell? By the time that process had worked itself out unsuccessfully with Hossa, Glencross had explored his options and signed elsewhere (can't blame him/his agent). But I will say I'd rather have the GM aggressively going after a Hossa and failing, at the cost of losing a Glencross, over falling all over themselves to sign Glencross and not even try for Hossa.

There was a comment in that blog that I could relate to;

Ender the Dragon February 2 2009, 6:20 pm.

Everyone is really good at pointing out the problem, but people aren’t nearly as good at finding the solution. If getting the Oilers into the playoffs were as simple as replacing Craig McTavish, I hope no one seriously thinks that Kevin Lowe would put his personal feelings, whatever they might be, in the way of team success.

Lowe can see there are problems with this team. Fixing them isn’t as easy as many make it out to be. In the previous post, I saw a suggestion that we should trade Penner for Frolov. I’m laughing as I type this. Yeah, that would probably work, in the same world where KLowe could sign Tony the Tiger to play first-line center. In our world, though, Frolov isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, especially for a guy like Penner.

The big problem with cutting MacT is quite simply who to replace him with. Lowe has him behind the bench because he doesn’t have any better options. Who is out there right now with any kind of experience? Someone who is going to come into this room at this point in the year and do something that MacT isn’t already trying; someone who isn’t bringing in their own personal baggage and is going to get the room to buy in to his system on the eve of the playoff drive; does that person even exist? Whoever you bring in is currently not coaching in the NHL because either A) they had an NHL job and they lost it (not good) or B) they have never had an NHL job, (also not good).

Yeah, Lowe could take a chance on a Junior guy; maybe you get Boudreau, maybe you get Hartsburg; you spins the wheel, you takes your chances. Or maybe you promote an assistant from somewhere; Charlie Huddy as head coach would be a big improvement, right? Or maybe Tambo steps down and looks after the coaching himself; that’s a surefire playoff ticket, right?

Suggesting that MacT be fired is no more a solution than suggesting that we should pick up Frolov. You have to explain how by firing MacT, this frees up space for the next guy who will get the job done. And that guy is . . .

So your suggestion for a replacement of MacT is a senior citizen, who was fired from his previous NHL post because he was deemed not good enough, hasn't been able to find an organization desperate enough to give him a job since, but recently gained some recognition for coaching the next generation of NHL stars, in a tournament that Canada wins the vast majority of the time anyway?

BTW, are you thinking of hiking in for Goldens again this year? I'm looking to, maybe we can put a group together, and debate each other till we're blue in the face on that hike. Of course....you'll have to promise not to lay your freakishly huge hands on me, if you can't convince me that MacT needs to go, :angel:smail::lol: .

Ayr.

Morrow-Moreau--so I can't spell.......Birchy, I don't think the mighty Quinn is in the mix anyway with return of his ailment.......How about Craig Hartsburg??.......Jeeez I can't believe I said that---I can't stand the guy and I think his record with Ottawa speaks for itself........How about Ayr??.......Seems to have some thoughts.........Ooops forgot---he likes McT..........:)

Again, it's cool to disagree Birchy, there would be less conversation without it. I read the blog link you sent me thanks. The challenge is the majority of his points are weak and some are just plain ill-informed. Take the Curtis Glencross example, for instance.

"Brodziak was great last year, catching fire along with Stortini and some guy who wasn’t quite good enough to be brought back in the summer(Glencross)."

There is no doubt the Oilers had interest, but they had placed their priority on attempting to sign a guy named Marian Hossa at the time, ring a bell? By the time that process had worked itself out unsuccessfully with Hossa, Glencross had explored his options and signed elsewhere (can't blame him/his agent). But I will say I'd rather have the GM aggressively going after a Hossa and failing, at the cost of losing a Glencross, over falling all over themselves to sign Glencross and not even try for Hossa.

There was a comment in that blog that I could relate to;

Ender the Dragon February 2 2009, 6:20 pm.

Everyone is really good at pointing out the problem, but people aren’t nearly as good at finding the solution. If getting the Oilers into the playoffs were as simple as replacing Craig McTavish, I hope no one seriously thinks that Kevin Lowe would put his personal feelings, whatever they might be, in the way of team success.

Lowe can see there are problems with this team. Fixing them isn’t as easy as many make it out to be. In the previous post, I saw a suggestion that we should trade Penner for Frolov. I’m laughing as I type this. Yeah, that would probably work, in the same world where KLowe could sign Tony the Tiger to play first-line center. In our world, though, Frolov isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, especially for a guy like Penner.

The big problem with cutting MacT is quite simply who to replace him with. Lowe has him behind the bench because he doesn’t have any better options. Who is out there right now with any kind of experience? Someone who is going to come into this room at this point in the year and do something that MacT isn’t already trying; someone who isn’t bringing in their own personal baggage and is going to get the room to buy in to his system on the eve of the playoff drive; does that person even exist? Whoever you bring in is currently not coaching in the NHL because either A) they had an NHL job and they lost it (not good) or B ) they have never had an NHL job, (also not good).

Yeah, Lowe could take a chance on a Junior guy; maybe you get Boudreau, maybe you get Hartsburg; you spins the wheel, you takes your chances. Or maybe you promote an assistant from somewhere; Charlie Huddy as head coach would be a big improvement, right? Or maybe Tambo steps down and looks after the coaching himself; that’s a surefire playoff ticket, right?

Suggesting that MacT be fired is no more a solution than suggesting that we should pick up Frolov. You have to explain how by firing MacT, this frees up space for the next guy who will get the job done. And that guy is . . .

So you're suggestion for a replacement of MacT is a senior citizen, who was fired from his previous NHL post because he was deemed not good enough, hasn't been able to find an organization desperate enough to give him a job since, but recently gained some recognition for coaching the next generation of NHL stars, in a tournament that Canada wins the vast majority of the time anyway?

BTW, are you thinking of hiking in for Goldens again this year? I'm looking to, maybe we can put a group together, and debate each other till we're blue in the face on that hike. Of course....you'll have to promise not to lay your freakishly huge hands on me, if you can't convince me that MacT needs to go, :angel:smail::lol: .

Ayr.

Ayr,

You make plenty of valid points, and as an Oiler fan, I too am tired of MacT.

Do I have the answers? No. But I do know that the current Management/Coaching staff just isnt' getting it done, period. Nine years he's been the coach and TWICE in those nine have they made the playoffs. I, for one, am really tired of the mediocrity. When Mac was first hired, I was pumped, when they re-signed him, I was still on the high from the Cup run, so I was pleased. But since then, they haven't made the playoffs, which is not really acceptable, considering all the hype surrounding the team.

Could Quinn get this team back on track? I have no idea, but could he really do any worse than what MacT is doing? He has pretty much mis-used Cole the entire season, having him on the thrid line for the first half, if not there on the wrong wing. Sure, Cole has played better with Ganger and they have both given each other a much needed boost to thier prospective games, but it's gone to the point where, A) they are considering trading Cole (rumors) or B ) he will NEVER sign back in Edmonton as a UFA next year.

I will stand by Kevin Lowe as GM, but buddy has to man-up and fire his buddy for a coach who can get this team back on the right track. MacT has lost this room. Three blowouts in less than 45 days says that he can NOT get this team motivated to perform on a regular basis. Three blow-outs by any other teams' standards gets the coach fired. The talent is there on the team, they just need the right leader.

What's the definition of insanity? Trying the same thing over and over again, expecting different results. Mac's been doing the same thing for almost a decade and hasn't done anything. Time for a change.

So your suggestion for a replacement of MacT is a senior citizen, who was fired from his previous NHL post because he was deemed not good enough, hasn't been able to find an organization desperate enough to give him a job since, but recently gained some recognition for coaching the next generation of NHL stars, in a tournament that Canada wins the vast majority of the time anyway?

BTW, are you thinking of hiking in for Goldens again this year? I'm looking to, maybe we can put a group together, and debate each other till we're blue in the face on that hike. Of course....you'll have to promise not to lay your freakishly huge hands on me, if you can't convince me that MacT needs to go, biggrinangelA.gif laugh.gif .

Ayr.

Yeah.. this is a sticky subject IMO. The guy was coach there for what, 7 years? They made the playoffs for the first 6 years, and then missed in the 7th.. and they immediately canned the guy. To me.. that's a whole lot better than what MacT is doing.. or isn't doing.

But yes.. his age is a factor. Maybe we should see if Scotty Bowman will come back and coach them for a couple years?! :P

Goldens.. probably. But we're thinking we'll give Rainy Ridge a try this time instead of Barnaby.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JAGR CLOSE TO SIGNING WITH EDMONTON OILERS

By David Staples 02-10-2009 COMMENTS(10) Cult of Hockey

ITEM: Visnovsky out, Jagr in, source says. A source close to Czech hockey ace Jaromir Jagr says that Jagr is close to finalizing negotiations with the Edmonton Oilers, reports Euro-hockey expert Peter Adler. The source would not say when Jagr would report to Edmonton, how much he would be paid, or how long he would sign for. Jagr is now playing with Omsk in the financially-troubled Kontinental Hockey League. With news that Lubomir Visnovsky will be out for the season with an injury, the Oilers now have several million dollars free to spend under the salary cap. Many Oilers fan have long complained that Ales Hemsky hasn't had a proper scoring star at his side. It appears that Oilers hockey boss Kevin Lowe is about to address this issue.

Say it ain't so!!

I can't stand Jagr. Never could. Besides.. he's washed up now. This is going to be Mats Sundin part 2.

Agreed, I have never been a Jagr fan either. It seems like the Oilers can only attract the superstars when they are on their last legs and must overpay to sway them. Oh well, at this point, even though I'm not a fan of the player, he's a guy that can produce first line offence, and someone the Oilers could add, without having to trade bodies to acquire. All it would take is some cash; welcome to the Katz era. If there is some truth to it and the guy has ANY desire to compete when/if he gets here, it may be a positive development in the overall offence, PP, and Hemsky complimenting areas the team would do well to address. Again, it looks like they are trying to do so.

Ayr.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't Jagr have to first clear waivers to get back in the NHL?

Too bad for Visnovsky being out, would have preferred Horcoff! Oilers played much better when he was out last season.

Yes he would, and that's exactly why it isn't happening.

The Jagr rumor is exactly that...just a rumor. He's not coming to Edmonton. Kurt I agree about Horcoff. Hopefully they'll get rid of him and his $7 000 000 contract at the trade deadline. Unfortunately Cole is gone. Too bad...I wish the Oilers could keep guys like that for more than one season. Anyway, they'll probably deal him at the trade deadline so they can at least get something in return. Horcoff, Cole and Schremp for ????? Any Ideas?

The Jagr rumor is exactly that...just a rumor. He's not coming to Edmonton. Kurt I agree about Horcoff. Hopefully they'll get rid of him and his $7 000 000 contract at the trade deadline. Unfortunately Cole is gone. Too bad...I wish the Oilers could keep guys like that for more than one season. Anyway, they'll probably deal him at the trade deadline so they can at least get something in return. Horcoff, Cole and Schremp for ????? Any Ideas?

Boumeester?

Garbagekov is a RFA next year, Strudwick is a UFA. Those are two D that will likley be gone, so Boumeester would fill that gap quite nicely. :D

Not that it will happen though......

MacT has lost this room.

Um, are you serious :opps: ??

Oilers 7, others 2.

Nice to be on the other side of a blowout, and played NOTHING like a team that has tuned the coach out. Rollie was floppin' around the crease like he just couldn't stand MacT's voice another day right? In addition the Oilers are IN the midst of a playoff battle, with numerous other teams. Have these other teams all tuned out their coaches too, just because they don't win very game. Do you MacT bashers even believe your own drivel, or are you just grasping randomly for something to rant about? I have to wonder if this is a cognitive statement or are you simply repeating something heard around the water cooler OR maybe something read on these Oiler blogs that are full of "fans" that have no idea what they are talking about!!

Go Oilers Go !

Ayr.

I think MacT is going senile or something adc...

I'm sorry Ayr, but I have to disagree as well. MacT needs to be canned at this point. Whether or not he's a good coach is irrelevant.. the team isn't playing for him anymore.

Too many stupid decisions trying to "shake things up". Here.. have a read:

http://www.oilersnation.com/2009/02/fire-craig-mactavish/

Oh.. and my vote for his replacement goes to Pat Quinn.

Birchy,

See previous post !

Ayr

Um, are you serious :opps: ??

Oilers 7, others 2.

Nice to be on the other side of a blowout, and played NOTHING like a team that has tuned the coach out. Rollie was floppin' around the crease like he just couldn't stand MacT's voice another day right? In addition the Oilers are IN the midst of a playoff battle, with numerous other teams. Have these other teams all tuned out their coaches too, just because they don't win very game. Do you MacT bashers even believe your own drivel, or are you just grasping randomly for something to rant about? I have to wonder if this is a cognitive statement or are you simply repeating something heard around the water cooler OR maybe something read on these Oiler blogs that are full of "fans" that have no idea what they are talking about!!

Go Oilers Go !

Ayr.

Yes, I am serious. One win against a team that is struggling worse than the Oilers does not mean that MacT can coach. It means that some lucky bounces went our way. Gagner's goal, Cogliano's goal, certainly Stortini's goal were all "right place at the right time" goals. The ability for the players to capitalize on some bumbling errors by the other team doesn't make MacT a genius coach.

Edmonton has some tough games coming up on the road here this next week; LA, Phoenix, San Jose and Dallas. Some tough tests vs teams they are fighting a playoff spot for. We'll see how they react to being on the opposite side of a "debacle of monumental proportions" soon enough. They should be able to win three of those, SanJose being the only wild card, we'll see how they come out vs. those other teams.

I stand by my previous statement. 3 trips to the playoffs in eight years is NOT successful coaching. Period.

And, although I respect your desire for the team to win, as I do, why are you such a big MacT supporter? Was he your favorite Oiler growing up? Do you respect that he was the last player to not wear a helmet? Is your name Toby Petersen? Why the man-crush? I'm not trying to be an ass, I just want to understand why you like him so much when he has made some really glaring errors behind the bench. Why do you think he is such a fantastic coach? What has he done that makes you think he can get it done?

Quick edit. Would you have still posted this if they DIDN'T win last night? Would you still think that he is a great coach if the score was the other way around?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AVERY CLOSE TO SIGNING WITH EDMONTON OILERS

By Mike Oxlong 02-12-2009 COMMENTS(99) God of Hockey

ITEM: Avery in, source says. A source close to Sean says he is close to finalizing negotiations with the Edmonton Oilers, reports hockey expert Peter Adler. The source would not say when Avery would report to Edmonton, how much he would be paid, or how long he would sign for. Avery is now playing with the Rangers farm club. With Lubomir Visnovsky out for the season with an injury, the Oilers still have to fill the hole and have lots of room under the cap. Many Oilers fan have long complained that Ales Hemsky hasn't had a proper scoring star at his side and Joey Moss is not game ready at this time. It appears that Oilers hockey boss Kevin Lowe is about to address this issue.

AVERY CLOSE TO SIGNING WITH EDMONTON OILERS

By Mike Oxlong 02-12-2009 COMMENTS(99) God of Hockey

ITEM: Avery in, source says. A source close to Sean says he is close to finalizing negotiations with the Edmonton Oilers, reports hockey expert Peter Adler. The source would not say when Avery would report to Edmonton, how much he would be paid, or how long he would sign for. Avery is now playing with the Rangers farm club. With Lubomir Visnovsky out for the season with an injury, the Oilers still have to fill the hole and have lots of room under the cap. Many Oilers fan have long complained that Ales Hemsky hasn't had a proper scoring star at his side and Joey Moss is not game ready at this time. It appears that Oilers hockey boss Kevin Lowe is about to address this issue.

You may not have noticed... I have the "FFC Official Joke'ster" beside my name.. not you. :P

I have to wonder if this is a cognitive statement or are you simply repeating something heard around the water cooler OR maybe something read on these Oiler blogs that are full of "fans" that have no idea what they are talking about!!

Go Oilers Go !

Ayr.

I know you said I'm not "smart" enough to debate this issue, Ayr, but are you McT's cousin??.....Brother??........Roommate?? :)

Avery signing with the Oilers??? April Fools is more than a month away. Go ahead and stick with MacT for the rest of the season but if the don't make the playoffs then he has to fricken go. By the way, first time i purchased a PPV game last night and I'm glad I did.

By the way, first time i purchased a PPV game last night and I'm glad I did.

Right on, have to love it when it actually works out in your favour when you take a chance on something like that!

A buddy of mine (not MacT, a different buddy) sent me a link and I was able to watch it live and free, on the computer, thanks to him. That rocked!

Ayr.