Fly Fusion Forums

Official Flames 2008/2043 Seasons Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a quote from Kenny Perry, several days after he lost the Masters:

"I hadn't been playing like that all week. I was playing conservative aggressive, if there is such a word. And I was playing great golf. Then all of a sudden, when I knew I had to make two pars, I got defensive. All of a sudden, I tried to hang on. That's the worst thing you can do in golf. When you start to hang on, bad things happen in golf."

When you start to hang on, bad things happen in hockey too. I was at the game last night. At no point did it look to me like the Flames were trying to hang on. They played "conservative aggressive" the entire game (or maybe just aggressive aggressive), and were never really challenged in the 3rd.

Everyone is praising Kipper, and he did save their asses in the 1st. But I thought the Flames did a great job of keeping the shots to the outside and giving Kipper a view of everything in the 2nd and 3rd. Drew is right, that's how you beat the Blackhawks.

What was Keenan spazzing about? I liked how Bert told him to calm down though.

NOT TO SURE BUT QUENNEVILLE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE SPAZZING! THREE BLACKHAWKS ON THE ICE WHILE THE SHAMES HAD SIX ON DURING THAT SCRUM.

Everyone is praising Kipper, and he did save their asses in the 1st. But I thought the Flames did a great job of keeping the shots to the outside and giving Kipper a view of everything in the 2nd and 3rd. Drew is right, that's how you beat the Blackhawks.

I'd say goaltending was the difference. Kipper's best game and Bulin's worst. IMO - this was the first game in the series where the Blackhawks outplayed the Flames and deserved a win (albeit penalty aided). Two goalposts for the Hawks in the third.

Other than Montreal/Boston Detroit/Columbus- I don't think any team is dominating - goalies have made the difference. The team that has been by far the most outplayed is Vancouver - they have not played a decent game yet (Game 3 was their best and both they and the Blues were pretty weak) - hope San Jose comes back and Vcr gets Detroit. Sweep for sure. I just love the announcers - guy just asked Burrows if he has ever seen the Vcr defence play better - 49 shots against lol. I really can't take the idiots that work for the CBC anymore.

Have to feel bad for the Blues - out in four and deserved to win every game. Game 1 1st Star Bobby Lou, Game 2 1st Star Bobby Lou, Game 4 1st star Bobby Lou. 'Nuff said.

has ever seen the Vcr defence play better - 49 shots against lol. I really can't take the idiots that work for the CBC anymore.

Ummm... the VCR defence is between the pipes, and it played pretty good... good enough to dominate a series.

and the clowns at TSN aren't any better. I think there all in bed with TOEWS.... don't you? They make him sound like jesus christ himself stepped on the ice...

Ha ha - Lou was awesome, wasn't he?

Special teams sewed up that sweep, though. Just like the Blues - there are many teams that think Vancouver is a uni-dimensional team that stands in the shadow of their goalie.

The Canucks outworked, out hustled, out hit and (far and away) out scored the Blues - and deserved the sweep. I too thought the CBC coverage was a little off - they only seemed to be able to point out all the mistakes the Blues were making - rather than all the things the Canucks were doing right.

For anybody thats watched the Canucks play the last half of the season, this was not exactly a surprise. The Blues didn't lose this series - Vancouver won it (and won it handily).

I'll hope the 'Nucks next victims get their intel from CBC - so they'll spend their time thinking they'll win if they keep all their shots low to Lou's stick-side - ha ha! Vancouver have a lot of weapons (as the Flames found out the hard way more than once this season) and it would behoove their next opponents not to take them as lightly as St Louis may have.

Heres what I think, though - maybe all those "Maybe next year"s were about this year. It'll be a fun ride, I'm thinking!

Even if they don't manage to get all the way, though - the Flames will get an earlier shot at the best tee-off times - and thats all that really matters!

Go Nucks!

Edited: Hey - I just realised that its mathematically possible for Van and the Flames to meet in the next round (if Anaheim and Calgary both manage to win their series). I guess Chicago is more likely, though - but Canucks - Flames would be epic!

Looks like the flames are gonna have to battle the hawks + refs duo again tonight. what a frikkin joke. kipper gets run, and 2 blatant non calls on flames getting dumped, and 2 weak calls against calgary... and booya... tie game.

doesnt help that kipper cant stop a beach ball, but neither can Habubulin tonight... so the refs are taking over. Congrats again stripes, you've made this a fun game for the good ol' USA to watch.

Man the NHL makes me sick sometimes. It's so obvious every time a canadian team goes up against an american one.

See how hard the stripes tried to give ST louis that game last night? lol...

Kipper needs to turn in a "Luongo-esque" third...

Got the lead, sat back, and Kipper hasn't stopped anything. Hope they can get it back together in the third.

Edit: 5-4! 6:42 to go!

Most teams sit back when they are on penalty kill.

One of the cool things about a PVR is that you can rewind to watch plays over and over. Although the TV guys missed it (think Pierre was blowing kisses to Toews) if you still have the game rewind to the Oli slahing penalty and watch it again in slow motion - two wicked hacks on his stick right where it broke just the penalty - in slow mo you can see his stick was broken before he made the slash. They even showed it once on TV and neither Cuthbert or Maguire noticed.

Hawg - if you were upset an the non-calls early, how about no call on the iginla trip late?

I think Kipper let in one bad one - the others were stoppable, but tough saves. All he needs to do is outplay Khabibulin and he did.

Losing Conroy and Langkow is a killer (looked to me like Langkow's arm was broken but who knows). Calgary is missing Reggie, Giordano (remember him? - he was one of our best this year), Bourque, Bertuzzi (okay - wishful thinking), Conroy and Bourque.

Most teams sit back when they are on penalty kill.

One of the cool things about a PVR is that you can rewind to watch plays over and over. Although the TV guys missed it (think Pierre was blowing kisses to Toews) if you still have the game rewind to the Oli slahing penalty and watch it again in slow motion - two wicked hacks on his stick right where it broke just the penalty - in slow mo you can see his stick was broken before he made the slash. They even showed it once on TV and neither Cuthbert or Maguire noticed.

Hawg - if you were upset an the non-calls early, how about no call on the iginla trip late?

I think Kipper let in one bad one - the others were stoppable, but tough saves. All he needs to do is outplay Khabibulin and he did.

Losing Conroy and Langkow is a killer (looked to me like Langkow's arm was broken but who knows). Calgary is missing Reggie, Giordano (remember him? - he was one of our best this year), Bourque, Bertuzzi (okay - wishful thinking), Conroy and Bourque.

I agree with the penalty kill point, but they are sitting back once they get the lead. I would not call it "relaxing" because I do not think it is on purpose. But their playing style changes once they get the lead and I think they really need to keep up the physical play throughout the game. Easy for me to say, it's not my body that is starting to ache all over from all the hits I'm dishing out.

I thought Ollie's penalty was a WTF moment when they showed the replay, as was the trip on Iginla late.

But do I think that the ref's have it out for Calgary becasue they are Canadian? No, I don't. If so, where was the call on the hand pass? Bert in the crease on the GW goal? People only remember the bad calls that go against there team. They have selective memory on bad calls for their team.

But do I think that the ref's have it out for Calgary becasue they are Canadian? No, I don't. If so, where was the call on the hand pass? Bert in the crease on the GW goal? People only remember the bad calls that go against there team. They have selective memory on bad calls for their team.

That's the FIRST break calgary has gotten all series is one sequence of plays that led to a goal. How about the fact that depsite our guys getting hualed down all game last night the Hawks had 4 power plays to the flames ONE??

Go check every game... Hawks PP is on the ice for about 5-10 minutes more than the flames.. have both teams been commiting fouls? yes.. Im not arguing that the flames should NOT have been in the box, but all the non calls the other way have been infuriating. If I am alone in thinking this why was the loudest chant at the game last night "we wanna ref, we wanna ref, we wanna ref"?

That's the FIRST break calgary has gotten all series is one sequence of plays that led to a goal. How about the fact that depsite our guys getting hualed down all game last night the Hawks had 4 power plays to the flames ONE??

Go check every game... Hawks PP is on the ice for about 5-10 minutes more than the flames.. have both teams been commiting fouls? yes.. Im not arguing that the flames should NOT have been in the box, but all the non calls the other way have been infuriating. If I am alone in thinking this why was the loudest chant at the game last night "we wanna ref, we wanna ref, we wanna ref"?

And I'm not arguing that the flames haven't drawn the short end of the stick in this series. I just don't think it has anything to do with the league favoring a US team. Could be that Flames are the perceived aggressor in this series? I don't know, but I can't imagine there is any conspiracy.

Edit:

Just saw some stats on ESPN:

Calgary Penalty Minutes 64

Chicago Penalty Minutes 62

But much of that is the madness at the end of game 3.

In the first two games, Calgary had the man advantage 7 times (really 8 because one of those was a double minor) and Chicago had 6 PPs.

In the next two games, Calgary had the man advantage 5 times, and Chicago 12 (I did not include any penalties after 19 minutes of game 3)

So total series: Calgary 13 man advantages, Chicago 18. But interestingly enough, in all games the team who had the most power play minutes LOST.

we teach the americans how to play hockey, then they try and steal our thunder...and try to eliminate every Canadian team from the playoffs....

seems kind of like a theme to me with the US' relationship with everyone... :hanson:

just joking of course.....

Cuz you're all whiners!

anyone hear any news about the injuries to bourque, langkow or conroy (as if but ... you never know a friend of my bro-in-law talked to regher so i'm pretty sure he's not coming back)?

it'll be tough to win this series without 5 or 6 starters including our best defencemen and two of our 20 goal scorers. we need some guys to step it up big time - bertuzzi now's your chance to show us we were wrong to doubt you - or as my dtr says bertuzzi needs to pick up his socks. wouldn't hurt if cammalleri started scoring again....

go flames go!!!

anyone hear any news about the injuries to bourque, langkow or conroy (as if but ... you never know a friend of my bro-in-law talked to regher so i'm pretty sure he's not coming back)?

i've heard that bouque will most likely be back. Langkow prob wont, and conroy will most likely be a game time decision. basically 48 hrs to go though, so status' will probably change...let ya know if I hear anything

OK, here's my theory on the reffing. there are teams that have reputations as bullies and brawlers and the flame are one of those team. philly gets the same treatment.

for years the flames did play that way and often led the league in fights (or were near the top). that gets in a referee's head over the years and you don't get the benefit of the doubt on calls.

when we had but 1 or 2 guys who could score and not much else we definitely were on the edge when it came to penalties and fighting etc. but we're not that kind of team any longer....and haven't been for a few years now. that's why it's tought to swallow when we get treated as that kind of team now.

same for certain players. you know the ones. chris simon was called on phantom penalties all the time when he played with the flames because of his rep.

i don't believe it's b/c we're canadian....that seems a bit too much like a conspiracy.....although there was that goal in 2004 when we actually won the cup but it was taken away from us....reaching for the tinfoil hat now.....

Don't even ghet me started on '04 :$*%&:

It's the same this year. It's the timing of penalties, and the ones they let go. Then they call some gay even - up calls to make it look no so lop sided on the scorers sheet 2 days later, when if you watch the games you know that calgary gets royally screwed every game. So what if we had a 5 on 3 with 9 seconds left in a 4-2 win? Stuff like that...