Fly Fusion Forums

Official Flames 2008/2043 Seasons Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White and Sutter gone, totally a cap move as when Kotalik and Langkow return they will be way over the cap.

"Can't stop"oulos is a great "role" player. He won't score but he'll work his ass off and is great with the fans.

Even though I'm not a Flames fan fan (not a typo!) I like the move.

1 Sutter down 2 to go!!

Agreed.

Gio. If you read back into this thread a ways you'll see that for many of us, our "love affair" with the Sutter bozo's was over ... ohh... a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago...... :)

Until we have completely new management from top to bottom this team will never reach it's full potential. The players do not want to play for the Sutter's and it shows.

+1

At this point, there are still three Sutter brothers left on the team - Duane is in Hockey ops. I think Ron left. In any event, the damage is done and it will take years (5 at least) for the flames to rebuild. They have two choices. Stay with the Sutters and try to free agent a team to the playoffs, or make a move now to get some top prospect or draft pick. The problem is though, the only way they can get a number 1 pick is to trade Iggy or Kipper and the only teams that would trade will finish high this year (so the picks are not as valuable).

They had a guy last year that they easily could have gotten a top pick for - but pissed that away. Love him or hate him - Dion was worth way more than they got.

Of all the teams in the league, Calgary probably has the least promising youth. Backland, Really? Thats the best hope the Flames have? Who did the Flames pick in the first round this year? Answer - Nobody. They traded that pick away for Ollie. Who did they pick in the second round? Answer Nobody. They traded that pick away too.

To be fair, the Flames demise in drafting didn't start with Sutter. 2000 - 9th overall, Goalie Brent Krahn. Never played an NHL game for them. 2001 - 14th overall - Chuck Kobasew. Traded away (for Stuart I think it was). 2002 - 10th overall, Eric Nystrom - Good solid 4th liner - but not what you expect for 10th overall. 2003 - 9th overall. Dion Phaneuf - Their best pick in the past decade for the Flames. Traded to Toronto for ?. 2004 - 24th overall Chris Chucko - Never played a game for them (and never will). 2005 - 26th overall. Matt Pelech. Has not made the team. 2006 - 26th Overall - Leland Irving - Not good enough to play back-up. 2007 - 24th Overall - Michael Backland. The only 1st rounder they have that plays a regualr shift. 2008 - 25th overall - Greg Nemisz. Likley won't make the NHL. 2009 - 23rd overall Tim Erixon. He acyually might be useful. 2010 - No pick. 2011 - Things are looking up for a high pick.

The interesting thing here is that they picked 24th, 26th, 26th, 24th, 25th, and 23rd overall - some because they traded away higher picks, some because they were unlucky in the lottery. Some teams like Detroit, who picked Lidstrom 53rd, Zetterberg 210th, and Datsyuk (171st) can get away with it. The Flames could not.

I really don't think firing the coach and GM is going to do much to help the team in the near term, but unless it happens soon - the Flames will be the New York Islanders of the west for the next 10 years.

They had a guy last year that they easily could have gotten a top pick for - but pissed that away. Love him or hate him - Dion was worth way more than they got.

I don't no how many pages back you'd have to look but i think allot of us here agree with you and are still pissed about it.Maybe thats why for me anyways we hate the Sutters.

Dion was always good at hitting someone hard with in the first minute or two of the game.Sure he might take a penalty but it set the stage for the game.

FYI, and totally off topic, but Stamkos already has 2 goals and 2 assists in the 2nd period in the game vs. Philly, giving him 34 pts and 18 goals over 19 games. My bet is the Iggy won't eclipse the 18 goal mark this season, and nobody would trade for a guy with 10 points who is -7 with a 7 million dollar contract.

The game against detroit this afternoon is exactly what pisses me off to no end as a Flames fan. THAT ONE WAS DECIDED BY THE IDIOTS IN STRIPES!!!!!! enough said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10 to 5 in total penalties called, plus calling flames for excatly the same stuff det was doing, and calling it in the latter part of the 3rd so detroit could conveniently have a chance to tie it. Total BS :$*%&:

I caught the last 4 minutes, Calgary was killing a penalty. As soon as it ended the ref called another one, they were short handed for the last 4 minutes of the game. Calgary did all they couild to defend but when a ref gives the opposition that much of a chance eventually they will get you. Ive been saying it all along, refs factor in to more outcomes than people are willing to admitt and it is really sucking the fun out of it for the fans and the teams they tend to penalize more tha others. Im not biased but Calgary gets burned regularily, TOTAL F&%*ING BS!!!!!! that was painful to watch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I stopped watching right after the ref called a penalty on Morrison for interference, dude clearly had the puck, that was text book seperating the player from the puck. Boom PP goal for the Wild and the momentum was gone. Calgary should not have been put in the position of having to be a man down, that might have been the worst call ever. Again the refs cause a huge uncalled for momentum swing and totally affect the outcome. They need to start reviewing penalties, PP's are to good these days its like a goddam shooting gallery out there.

this year (same as last) i'm ignoring the whole officiating issue.....there's a lot of bad calls not just against the flames.

it helps one to concentrate on just how bad the flames are and how much work it's going to take feaster to get the flames back to being competitive again....wish he could be given free rein to start now.......not wait until the end of the season........

Guest Sundancefisher
this year (same as last) i'm ignoring the whole officiating issue.....there's a lot of bad calls not just against the flames.

it helps one to concentrate on just how bad the flames are and how much work it's going to take feaster to get the flames back to being competitive again....wish he could be given free rein to start now.......not wait until the end of the season........

Does anyone agree that the Flames are slow, lacking in skills and coached in a system of dump and grind that is easily beaten with a faster skilled team?

Does anyone else agree that this team needs to be dumped totally except for Bourque and Gio?

Does anyone really think we can blame our woes on officiating? Come playoffs...does anyone think we can step it up?

I hear Sutter has the team running drills on endurance...rather than skills. The team would be better off at their age to save their energy for the game and instead practice passing and skating skills. If they passed better...they would work less chasing pucks like dogs chasing butterflies...

IMHO