Fly Fusion Forums

Wet Wading

bigalcal

Don't forget the sun screen. Last time I wet waded the hot temperature as well as the glare off the water left me with an unbelievable sun burn. It was so bad I could hardly put on a pair of jeans for a couple of days after. Last time I ever did that. Now I prefer to sweat it out in my waders.

sure wish I'd gone for it last week. Spent the day on the blackstone last thurs. it was at least 30degrees, the neos were a tad warm. they didn't exactly keep me dry if you know what I mean. I'm just worried about all the scrapes and rashes involved with going bare leg while tromping through the bush or scrambling down banks. I really like the protection neos offer. I can literally slide on my ass down a rocky bank, they are like having elephant skin. It's the main reason I haven't picked up a pair of breathables yet.

I'm just worried about all the scrapes and rashes involved with going bare leg while tromping through the bush or scrambling down banks. I really like the protection neos offer. I can literally slide on my ass down a rocky bank, they are like having elephant skin. It's the main reason I haven't picked up a pair of breathables yet.

Well, Dube, you're right about the protection a pair of waders offer. I'd especially be wearing them on the Bow, no matter how hot the day. That water isn't the cleanest. But up in the mountains you'd probably be ok for rash and being cool would be worth a few scrapes from the bushes . Wading wet is very pleasant on a hot summer's day.

It's the main reason I haven't picked up a pair of breathables yet.

Are you sure it doesnt have any thing to do with glutton for punishment type thing? I was unlucky enough to try out a pair of neos a couple of weeks ago and it was horrible. I walked back the km or so from the hole we were at and i almost walked back bare a**ed, i wanted to take of those damn things so bad. I am sure heat stroke was not far off.

Steven.

as for scrapes and stepping in nettle/ivy, just hop into the creek for instant relief...if you are wearing an expensive pair of breathables in some of the rougher brush, you are just begging for trouble...plus, fly fishing chicks dig scrapes and rashes...at least i think so...lmfao :P

I will be fishing for a few days next week and I will try socks and neoprene socks. Neoprene socks are cheap at MEC. I will keep you all posted.

My report: Purchased a pair of Cloudveil 8X wading boots and tried them the last few days on the Oldman/ Racehorse. The boots come with an extra insole for wet wading to help "fill" up the boot if you are wearing socks that are thinner than neoprene. I wore socks and neoprene and I prefer the socks route as the boot drains. Nepoprene is more comfortable but the "squishiness" I found a little gross.

So I will wear socks with my boots but I will purchase better socks than the pair I wore.

I also tried "basic " Crocs and they didn't cut it for me.

Also Racehorse much warmer then Oldman!!

My report: Purchased a pair of Cloudveil 8X wading boots and tried them the last few days on the Oldman/ Racehorse. The boots come with an extra insole for wet wading to help "fill" up the boot if you are wearing socks that are thinner than neoprene. I wore socks and neoprene and I prefer the socks route as the boot drains. Nepoprene is more comfortable but the "squishiness" I found a little gross.

So I will wear socks with my boots but I will purchase better socks than the pair I wore.

I also tried "basic " Crocs and they didn't cut it for me.

Also Racehorse much warmer then Oldman!!

Did you try socks AND the neoprene? I think that's my favorite so far...not as squishy and I don't notice any discomfort, anyway it's a personal preference anyway. Do you like the Cloudveil's??

I finally went for it this weekend and I have to say I'm an instant convert. I took harps suggestion and wore some polypro longjohns which seemed crazy at the time but as soon as I was in the water it was awesome. So much more comfortable that waders. I opted for one pair of heavy synthetic wick dry socks under a heavy pair of wooly's and my boots felt great. it was fairly warm and I barely broke a sweat for a change.

oddly enough I went for my first swim this weekend as well. I was going to climb on top of a rock to use it as a casting platform and my foot slipped and I went in face first. luckily there were several good pools in a row so I just stripped down hung everything in a tree and fished au natural while the breeze dried everything up nicely....... o.k .....my legs and shorts were already wet so it wasn't totally natural but it sure felt good to fish without a shirt or vest for an hour or so. those pools held many fish so it was worth getting wet and spending the extra time on them.

i just wear the boots nothing else , I kinda get funny looks somedays when I am on the river fishing away naked in my boots but I just tell them the boots are to comfortable to come off to and then I turn my back to them and bend over to tie my laces ,people seem to leave shortly after that

For some reason This made me laugh way harder than it should have.

• 4 weeks later...

wet wading is the best. i use water socks. baically look like slippers, with a rubber grippy sole and mesh/neoprene 'sock'. i find them at canadian tire, walmart and superstore. they go on sale at the end of the year for a fwe dollars each. i get about a month of wear out of each pair.

goes well with the bikini top and the sarong. i get a lot of funny looks from the more traditional fishermen out there.

down boys. lol

yes, some of the older gentlemen are a little confused by the lack of clothing and the fishing vest. it's just not traditional. of course i start wet wading as soon as the weather is warm enough. i don't fish the bow often, but if you have seen the girl in the sarong, you've seen me.

well is this why i had so many 'visitors' to my profile. lol.

i am looking for people to fish with in the evenings after work and ice fishing in the winter...

Did you get a flood of emails after that post? LOL Fishermen the most predictable predators.

no actually i didn't. just 1 offer. i already know a few ppl through facebok, which is how i ended up here in the first place, so they have already invited me fishing. i have had a lot of visits though.

just not enough time this summer.

hopefully fall and ice fishing in the winter will be better. i should have more time on my hands.

Where do yo usually icefish in the winters? I like to get out once in a while on spray lakes but honestly I hate that wind up there and I am not one for being stuck in a shack......so instead I often I spend hours wandering the upper bow looking for a fishable section..... Usually all I find is cold feet and a drastic shortage of open river...... but it kills some time when I am not boarding or working.

Anyways I am always game to go flyfishing or otherwise with just about anybody who asks but afternoons are not great as I don't live in the city and I am not usually inclined to drive in unless I have a whole day...... but if you want company on icefishing trips this winter let me know as I would be interested in fishing some new waters

Where do yo usually icefish in the winters? ...... but if you want company on icefishing trips this winter let me know as I would be interested in fishing some new waters

that would be really cool. i have only fished chain lakes and beaver mines, both are kind of windy. i would like to try ghost resevoir, gap lake, possibily grotto.

i haven't fished upper and lower k or spray.