Fly Fusion Forums

Wet Wading

bigalcal

After wearing my new replaced waders ( Thanks Sage/Reddington) the last few outings I have decided to wet wade with my soon to purchase Cloudveil 8X wading boots. What do you wear inside the boots? I have worn regular thick socks and /or neoprene booties. What do you people wear?

i prefer not to even wear boots, i like a wading sandal, like the simms ones

they have good toe protection, big felt surface area, im really happy with them

but when i wear just my wading boots, plain old neoprene booties work for me...

I dont like the rocks and sand that get into my sandals i wrecks my pedicure and hurts my freakin feet. Also i like the support a boot offers. I just picked up some Korkers and you can switch bottoms on them from hiking bottom to felt to studded felt they work good so far and are convinient when doing long hikes into back country. www.korkers.com i think fish tales is the distributer for calgary.

Wading boots with socks. Change into sandals back at the car. I"ve done the sandles thing...high end to water shoes. Just don't trust them...ie turned ankle, slipping on rocks etc. I fish alone alot so I don't want to spend any unnecessary nights on the river.

I'm now just trying to deal with the problem of all the scraped legs when I'm bushwhacking. (No, I won't try the New Zealand thing of wearing long underwear under my shorts). It's down to deciding between the scrapes and bruises to lightweight pants.

I just bought some Hodgeman Wadelite wading boots that were on sale for my trip out to the Crow on Friday and they worked great. I was wet wading and had a neoprene sock on to keep my foot warm. I just had old hiking boots before I got those and I bet I woulda been swimming if I hadn't of got those new boots.

Is the bow warm enough to wet wade now?

I dont like the rocks and sand that get into my sandals i wrecks my pedicure and hurts my freakin feet. Also i like the support a boot offers. I just picked up some Korkers and you can switch bottoms on them from hiking bottom to felt to studded felt they work good so far and are convinient when doing long hikes into back country. www.korkers.com i think fish tales is the distributer for calgary.

I saw these at Fish tales as well as Russels. I don't think they would be the best for me as the actual felt sole has a smaller surface area than other wading boots. I have heard a lot of good things about them and they have received good reviews. I need a bit more traction tho'..I think. I am going Cloudveil 8X

i just wear the boots nothing else , I kinda get funny looks somedays when I am on the river fishing away naked in my boots but I just tell them the boots are to comfortable to come off to and then I turn my back to them and bend over to tie my laces ,people seem to leave shortly after that

Guest bigbadbrent
I just bought some Hodgeman Wadelite wading boots that were on sale for my trip out to the Crow on Friday and they worked great. I was wet wading and had a neoprene sock on to keep my foot warm. I just had old hiking boots before I got those and I bet I woulda been swimming if I hadn't of got those new boots.

Is the bow warm enough to wet wade now?

It's always warm enough, wade the mountain streams and the bow is a hottub...though, you might get an uninvited dead cat or two in the hottub

i just wear the boots nothing else , I kinda get funny looks somedays when I am on the river fishing away naked in my boots but I just tell them the boots are to comfortable to come off to and then I turn my back to them and bend over to tie my laces ,people seem to leave shortly after that

At least when bend over to tie your laces, you've got a built-in rod-holder!

Learning to love my crocs - got the offroad model so they are wider and very stable - they also have the loops for your heel - wear em with wool socks and your feet stay warm even when wet (although I have been going barefoot even up here) - last year when the wife and I sank our canoe in Louise rapids my wife lost one of her 150.00 keens (supposed river shoes) meanwhile I got ragdolled holding on to my hydrolocked boat for 5 minutes and still crawled up the bank with both crocs still on my feet.

PS whats the deal with cats in the river - where do they come from (Do I really want to know ?)

PSS anyone ever finds my wifes keen I'll buy you a $20 gift certificate at your fav shop as a reward !

I used to be an old pair of hiking boots and socks kinda guy, but now I use my Simms wading boots and I wear a neoprene bootie that I fold back down over the boot top to cover the laces. I hate my line getting caught up in my laces when I'm stripping it in, so I like that setup, I'll usually wear a set of hiking socks or sometimes just my bare foot inside the bootie, which is quite comfortable and the neoprene acts like a wetsuit and keeps my feet warm even on the coldest streams.

I do the old hiking boots and booties with socks, oh and bloom I got myself a pair of long shorts that come down to mid-calf on my legs. I found I was mostly scrapping my quads and knees and these shorts keep all but the toughest bushes at bay. Plus they are made from a lightweight wicking material and they dry out in a matter of minutes, got them at the MEC in Calgary.

I do the old hiking boots and booties with socks, oh and bloom I got myself a pair of long shorts that come down to mid-calf on my legs. I found I was mostly scrapping my quads and knees and these shorts keep all but the toughest bushes at bay. Plus they are made from a lightweight wicking material and they dry out in a matter of minutes, got them at the MEC in Calgary.

Ahh, they're just glorified skater shorts :) How about the worries of something flying/crawling up those baggy shorts!

Tried yet wading down south yesterday and it was COLD! So cold I couldn't even hold my hand in the water for a minute (had to try while I was drinking a beer)

ps. It also doesn't matter how much water you drink before you go if you then drink beer on the river. Totally dehydrated and stiff by the end of the day. Sorry to say, but when it's 30C, no food and hiking all day...beer is bad. But it did taste good Harry.

Ahh, they're just glorified skater shorts :) How about the worries of something flying/crawling up those baggy shorts!

Tried yet wading down south yesterday and it was COLD! So cold I couldn't even hold my hand in the water for a minute (had to try while I was drinking a beer)

ps. It also doesn't matter how much water you drink before you go if you then drink beer on the river. Totally dehydrated and stiff by the end of the day. Sorry to say, but when it's 30C, no food and hiking all day...beer is bad. But it did taste good Harry.

Yes, the beer were dam good! But, that's the last time I take off my shoes and socks to cross a glacier fed stream, first time in a long time the bones in my legs hurt so much!

Ay Carumba Mr. B......fan of shrinkage are you?! :o

Neoprene socks - the water turns nice and warm when it gets in your boots when you wear those. Lovely feeling actually. And wonderful for the pedicure as well.

I will be fishing for a few days next week and I will try socks and neoprene socks. Neoprene socks are cheap at MEC. I will keep you all posted. LF I can't wait 'til the next long wekend for the "race". Koods had a bit of blood on her from a few scratches from the barbed wire but for the record, I'm no Michael Vick!!!!!!! :lol: It's GO TIME!!!!!

Crocs all the way, I got a set of knockoffs for $4.99 at superstore lastyear. They are the ultimate summer mountian river wading shoe. I find they are grippy too. I splurged on the 4X4 or offroad moeel but cant really tell the difference except that the $45 new pair gave me blisters.

I've been wet-wading east-slope streams since May.

Go with a boot for those freestone streams.

I used to do sandals 'till I cut my foot, then sandals and socks/neo and wool... not enough ankle support for slick rocks, now I'm back in my Chotas. Good ankle support, felt (which is the most important!!!!), a couple screws in the very front of the toe for grip when stepping up hill and a couple in the back of the heel as extra slide protection. Suck up the weight and stand in the water if you're to warm.

I wade in pants or shorts depending on the time of day and where I'm going. Polypro long underwear are great for leg protection, warm and keep the bugs off.

Neo socks or wool... depends on the fit of the boot, both are comfy.

Most important..

You don't want to be up the creek and role your ankle, good support boots with felt soles will help prevent that.