Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For Feedback On A Fundraising Idea For Stream Watch

I thought I would post this idea to get some feedback.

Other than the online auction that I’m sure we’ll be doing because last year’s was such a success in raising money for the “Stream Watch” Program, I thought of another possible way that would raise money, and would also be a lot of fun.

The idea is to put together the inaugural

FFC/Stream Watch Bow River Fly Fishing Championships”.

I’m thinking that if we spend the time, we could have it set up for sometime next year. With a little effort and planning, we could get sponsorship and potentially raise a decent amount of money while not only having a great time, but potentially starting something that could end up becoming an annual event.

Along with the actual competition, there would be a banquet/ceremony that could include a live, silent auction. At the banquet there could also potentially be guest speakers, instruction on Fly Tying, etc. The Banquet entry would be included in each participant's entry fee, but we could sell tickets as well to raise additional money for Stream Watch.

It would be dubbed a competition, but the main goal would be to raise money for an excellent program, but also have fun doing it. The prizes for the competition could be small items donated, along with a Trophy or two and bragging rights of course. The entry fees would basically be a donation to Stream Watch, so it goes without saying that there would be no money given to the winning teams.

For the actual competition, here’s the basic breakdown I was thinking of:

1. 2 days of fishing, (Saturday and Sunday of course)

2. The river broken into zones that are drawn by participating teams that they will be restricted to, and required to do their fishing on. The draws for zones could be done for a different zone each day to limit travel, or it could be done in half days so that each team would be able to fish two different sections of river in one day. (ie-Policeman's Flats Upstream, McKinnon Flats Downstream, etc....)

3 Teams of 3 or 4 with a set entry fee per team of $200-$300 with the money going to the Stream Watch Program. This would basically be a donation of approximately $50 or so per entrant. Teams could be pre-determined or individual entrants could be drawn to make up the teams.

4. Judging could be done by either guest celebrity Anglers, (ie-Jim and Lynda McLennan, not to put you on the spot Jim and/or Lynda...). These judges could be stationed in each Zone and would be fishing with each team. Their results would then be included with the team’s final tallies. It would be a luck of the draw kind of thing. These judges could also be on hand as kind of a “Life line” that the teams could use for info and anything else they might be willing to offer. Judges could also be volunteers willing to be stationed at each zone, (if we can’t get any celebrity judges). These volunteers could also fish with each team. These judges, along with volunteers, would help record each team’s results thru-out the competition.

5. A set of rules would be put into place for minimum size of fish to be counted, (ie-18 inches), and bonuses put in place for exceeding a certain size as well, (ie-24 inches).

6. A definite start and finish time would be in place.

7. The winning teams could be decided by a system of total inches of fish caught, (over the minimum), or total number of fish caught, etc. There could also be bonus prizes for individuals like biggest fish, Most fish by an individual, etc.

I have more, but I thought I would get some feedback before I went any further.

For those out there that think that Fly Fishing Competitions are not good for the sport, please remember that this is just an idea for raising money for a great program. It’s not in any way a means of proving who the best Anglers are.

I think that if a few of us put our heads together and put some time in, we could come up with a great event that would raise money at the same time. I'm already looking forward to the Friday night Kick Off BBQ if we can make this happen.

Brett

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea Brett...My thoughts...

1. I'm in... and will win the FF Championship...Team members tba...

2. I nominate Brett to be in charge of organizing all of the details...(All in favor...)

3. Of course it is the best way to prove who the best angler's are...what other way is there?

ps. Brett, you're on my team...right? :blink::D

Great idea Brett...My thoughts...

1. I'm in... and will win the FF Championship...Team members tba...

2. I nominate Brett to be in charge of organizing all of the details...(All in favor...)

3. Of course it is the best way to prove who the best angler's are...what other way is there?

ps. Brett, you're on my team...right? :blink::D

You better hope The Dodger doesn't enter a team... <--poke--<

Bullshit...Might as well start golfing...I agree on most things you post but this reduces a great sport to another thing to count..Later ..James

Lol...I guess you can see why I included the disclaimer "For those out there that think that Fly Fishing Competitions are not good for the sport...."

I guess if this thing happens We can't count on your support. I was actually thinking that depending on the number of people interested, we might use Your's and Leadhead's Jetboats to taxi groups to various locations to open up more potential zones.

Skip the competition if you're not into it, but hopefully we'll see you at the Banquet/Auction.

If you were to organize it as a fun event and really focus on the Streamwatch benefit, I think it'd be an awesome idea.

You could even have a bonus prize for most trash collected.

If it turns into a pissing contest as some would no doubt try to turn it into, that would be a shame.

Exactly Russ. That is the intention for sure. A fun, friendly competition with the entry money being basically a donation with the Banquet/Auction being the true fund raiser.

If it starts to look like it might be anything but fun, I'll just walk away from it and they can look for other ways to support the program.

Brent, I can't see how any fund raising event could be a "Waste of Time", but to each his own. Boats don't make sense because of the possibility of a large number of entrants, but a guided Float would be a great donation as an auction item. <--poke--<

great idea ,keep it at 50$ per entry and you will have alot of interest.more people =more fun .as far as teams go they should be drawn out of a hat.you could try to have 1 pro ,1 int. and one beginner per team .pending how many people join up.boats or no boats it would be a great weekend for a great cause..

How about, everyone puts there own team together consisiting of four anglers. Count points by the inch...one point per inch, with only trout over 10" counting. Whities, suckers etc. don't count for any points. 5 Bonus points for +20" and 10 Bonus points for +24".

Prizes for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams...Prizes for biggest Rainbow, biggest Brown and individual Champion flyfisher with the most points.

Should be fun...couple concerns though:

-As this grows, I see the logistics getting crazy. Why not focus on the fun and honor code. For example, run it as a 'one fly' competition. You get one (or 2) flies for the day, when it's gone, you're done. Make sure you pick the right fly (there's actually lots of strategy to this). You got limited hours to fish, and you can walk and wade, or float if you want. All results are based on the honour code.

There is a competition done like this on the Bow (or use to be) and it was a great fundraiser. There were never any concerns with people cheating as everyone was there for a good time and to raise some money. Add a social in the evening (silent acution), presentations, etc.

Simpler the better is how I see it, with a focus on fun and the social after.

Great points.

I think what I'll do is take all the suggestions put forward and build an outline for rules, etc. that suits the majority. Obviously We won't be able to make everyone happy, but everyone has to remember what the goal really is.

I've had some great input via PM's and email, so I think over the winter months, we should be able to put together a pretty good event.

In a week or so, I'll post a breakdown/update of where it's at. So keep the input coming.

Sounds like an absolutely fantastic idea, and for a great cause. Definately count me in. As for suggestions, the logistics is a bit difficult I think, as the South Bow is a really tough location for a tournament based on walking and wading, I couldnt even imagine how to set up "fair zones" for only a 2 day tournament. All I can think is to set up 10 different zones along from Policemans to Mckinnons and mark them each with a flag of some sort and then jet boat 10 different teams of 3 or 4, whatever is decided for team total to the different zones and than at an agreed time, say 9 am everyone begins fishing there zone. Next day everyone gets a new zone, completely random of course and then same thing goes. You would need a few jet boats to transport for this way though. Just an idea...