Fly Fusion Forums

Stupidity

so there I was, enjoying a beauty of an afternoon on a quiet trib with the step dad...fishing's great and we're having a great time...we come up around the bend to see a guy and his girlfriend fishing the next hole so we pull up our lines and head over to shoot the breeze...all good until i ask what he's using (i ask cuz he's spinnin and not reeling...bad sign here)....he says he's using salmon eggs and marshmallows...so i look at my dad, and i can see that look in his eyes that we fly fishers get when somethings awry on our stream...i ask the guy if he knows the regulations on the river and he just suddenly snaps, talking a blue streak about his rights and stuff and then has the nerve to tell me to go back into the bushes and my dad i to go f*** ourselves...i should've just walked away and called the CO's but no, i got mad and ended up getting into a shoving match with the guy...dad goes in to break it up and the guy's girlfriend starts beaking...she throws a rock but lousy aim...after some more arguing and shoving, my dad and i start walking away to make some phone calls and a rock glances off my shoulder...i'm about to turn around to confront them again when i spot his salmon eggs in their glass jar at my feet....i pick em up and just turn around and bean the guy right in the melon with it...he goes down and blood starts pouring...we start to leave and as we walked away, i heard threats of charges, etc...funny how good days can just go so bad so quick eh?...probably not the best way i could've handled it but oh well...

Sockeye it to him. :D No need for BS like that on our streams. Next time duct tape him to a tree with his pants down by his ankles and spray doe estrus all over him :wub::wub: It'll be a good lesson learned!

On a more serious note, its always better to let the law handle it, to keep yourself safe from flying rocks.

Dr. Bulltrout:

Completely sympathize with your frustration. Just glad you weren't hurt or your dad or the girlfriend. Hope that guy isn't hurting too badly either.

Tough situation to be in, you want to kick some arse, but is it worth the potential assault charge? Or if the glass breaks, and, yeah, you know what's coming, the guy loses an eye or something (you said you dinged him in the head).

Some people are so damn ignorant, lazy, and stupid it boggles the mind. Can't even bother to use a resource properly and read the regs. Your just dying to say "they got what's coming, or they got what they deserve," but wow, blood pouring out the guys head, I bet that was a sobering sight.

Like I said, hopefully there's no "permanent" damage to that guy and hoping jacka%^$s like him stay thge heck off our streams.

Understand if you don't want to say, but what major drainage were you fishing?

Smitty

Crappy, Dr B, that sucks. Bear spray has been known to be an effective deterrent. Alas, it is better to let the cops handle these matters. Unless he's littler than you then you can just do whatever comes natural.

Dave: Oh Lordy, ya ain't gonna like me then. :)

DBT...bummer. Teach ya for playing baseball ... good arm. :)

In hindsight ... next time take pictures and email them with details to one of the Pass F&W guys ... I'll give you his email. They love license plate numbers too. Pictures good. And if dorkhead objects, tough. It's a free country. You can take pictures of whatever you want in situations like this.

Ho man, I am the world's biggest wimp and pacifist. I hate physical confrontations.

Book 'em Dano.

GOOD LUCK!!

That's hilarious! Throwing rocks... I remember doing that on the playground when we were fighting.

What a farce...

Can't really dump on anyone's approach though, been there myself and lost my temper with some bozos on numerous occasions.

My favorite has always been, instead of hurting the guy, I push or throw him in the river...usually cools him off pretty quick (either that or he comes storming out after you angry as hell and full of mistakes).

Dr.Bull Trout, that's an insane story! Wow. I can only imagine that given his hostile response to your intital question about the regs implies he knew damn well the rules. I would imagine if he was truly oblivious, he'd be a bit more apologetic. I think someone got defensive since their cover got blown! Good work, luckily you didn't get hurt.

Always let the law deal with it. Call report a poacher or if you're in K-country phone the emergency center (591-7767, if I remember correctly) and they can radio an officer tout suite. Photos are always good and if you know which vehicle they are in get the plate number. The problem is that a lot of streams and lakes have large parking lots full of vehicles. Always mention the regs to the miscreant (maybe they are just ignorant) but drop it after that. Lousy finish to a great day.

Wow, too bad this stuff has to happen on the river... I'm sure F&W was busy as ever this weekend...passed one headed north in a hurry on hwy 22 yesterday. I don't know what I'd do in that situation, so I will not judge, but I would love to have seen the guy explain "his rights" to a CO...I like how he is blatently disregarding the law, yet you hit him with a jar in the beak and all of the sudden he's threatening you with the law....how ironic! BRW, anybody have any luck on the Oldman yesterday? I was east of the Waldron and we got nothin' in 3 hrs. I could see 'em in there, but I used everything and they wouldn't even move!! I suppose I was in on the tail end of some pretty intesnse angling pressure...there was a school of suckers that were cuising around in this spot I was at too....big black line on the side of em...I assume they were suckers as I don't know what else they could've been. Anyway, all I got was a brutal sunburn on my castin' arm!!

DBT - the righteous angler in me says WAYTAGO. But the peace lover in me says WHOA...THAT'S EXTREME. Either way, you stopped him fishing for the day. Did you wind up reporting the jerk after the fact?

Make sure you report this to the F+W along with the spot he was at. Regardless of what happens. I don't think your gonna get charged for it becuase if you do he'll also be charged with his offense - or else not have a court case against you (becuase it would be minus the facts)...

I broke a couple of "ethnic" people's rods right in front of them and threw their stringer of 4 dead browns about 40 feet into the Bow once.... that's as crazy as I ever got ... lol :lol:

i reported the incident to both F&W and the local RCMP detachment...as for him pressing charges, methinks that would be a stretch as he didn't see our vehicle...from what it looked like, it wasn't a major cut but definitely sobering as someone said...i never really wanted it to go so far but rocks chucked at dad and i kinda pushed me over the edge...completely not like me either...dad said he's never seen me so PO'd before...GOOZ FRABA chants could be heard on the walk back downstream...lol

Just a question for those of you that have called RAP before. Do they actually show up in a timely manner? For example, let's say I caught some ppl using bait on the highwood, but the exact location on the river was somewhat difficult to explain over the phone. If I call RAP and ask them to meet me at a parking lot nearby or something, how long til they show up?

Well, what can I say...the boys got some grit to em eh....grin. I like that. It's unfortuneate things got heated to that degree, but I'm sure everyone learned a thing or two...Good on you for taking responsibility for your role and contacting the RCMP and F&W with the details of the incident. You have your head and heart in the right place.

Bottle to the head...LOL

sorry to hear of your "incident." it can be surprising how we react in certain situations. don't worry about he A@#$%&%'s head though. Everyone knows the head is a big bleeder so it probably looked worse that it was. good on you for carrying on with the reporting even after the incident occurred. surely you'll get some fish karma out of that. btw best use of bait....EVER!!!!