Fly Fusion Forums

Best Fishing Board There Is

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

I must say in reading posts, seeing messages, chatting with people from the board on line that this has to be the most friendly board around.

Cudos to everyone!

I just had to say that cause.....well....some boards are just not that friendly.

Can anyone say why this board is friendlier?

Cheers.

Sun

Hey Sundance, i agree with you that this board is friendlier than others. but as to why I truly don't know.

1 possibilty is that flyfishing I find takes a little more patience, than other methods (and I chucked nothing but HW till last summer) , that this translates to the people involved with the site. also because most of us Fish the same river frequently and run into other members often, it takes alot of the the anonymity out of it so you watch what is being typed. lets face it you don't want to be having a chat on the river, and mention your name, the be told your the @55hole.

or just devine intervention.

Sun..

It's 'cause we rarely touch on things that matter like sex, religion, politics or decent beer. Just BS about fishing - that hardly matters. Of course, every now and then, somebody takes a flight of fancy and has a go but boredom sits in within a couple of posts and fishing again takes over.

This board is a lot to do about not a lot. Seems to suit our intellect.

And for whatever it's worth. Not a lot of bait chuckers or jet sledders here who believe that curtailing their antics is down right Communism.

catch ya'

Don

I think that those of us who frequented a previous & now defunct forum remember it as not quite so friendly at times. I think that we may have learned a bit from that and feel like a fresh start here on FFC. Also, the guidance & philosophy of the Administrators is pretty clear and got us all off on the right foot. I think too that the members of this forum like fishing more than conflict! I know I do.

I give full credit to the humorous laid back Eastcoast population on here ..

** the following was a joke so before anybody flies off the handle and im asked to edit or apologize A JOKE .. :D

FFC is great because of one single thing .. the people .. ( the best trout waters in North America doesn't hurt either)

I completely agree. Even though I've been too busy to do anything fun the last few months, I can still live thru the posts of the people here.

The warm weather can't come soon enough for me.

Seems like a good time to repost my little tribute to the people here. I just watched it for the first time in awhile and it made me smile, so for those that have seen it, I hope it does the same. For those that haven't seen it, you're probably newer here, so post your pics this year so I can put you in next year's.

Click here if the movie does not play.

Sun,

I think for the most part we don't take ourselves too seriously. It's just fishing after all. I also think most here have the ability to have a heated discussion with other members without it poisoning relationships. We may get irritated at each other from time to time, but after the heat of the moment passes we still tend to get along.

Except for your views on Global Warming that is. In that, you're just nuts ;)

Sun,

I think for the most part we don't take ourselves too seriously. It's just fishing after all. I also think most here have the ability to have a heated discussion with other members without it poisoning relationships. We may get irritated at each other from time to time, but after the heat of the moment passes we still tend to get along.

What are trying to say Rick?

Are you trying to start something again? :angry:

:P

How many other boards have members inviting basically strangers into their homes? Wish I could have been there Rick, but this stupid work thing makes it tough to have a life in the winter.

BTW....I think Rick hit it right on the head. The people make the board what it is, and the Admin/moderators do a great job of controlling things privately as to not cause potentially bad situations from arising. I've seen on other boards where the Admin does it in the middle of a good thread and things end up spiralling out of control for all to see. This causes level headed people to go elsewhere, usually leaving only the people that make a board a not so friendly place to be.

Guest Sundancefisher
Sun,

Except for your views on Global Warming that is. In that, you're just nuts ;)

No rickr...I am not nuts. :-)

It is the the recent heat waves have clouded my judgement on the issue :-)

For the most part what separates guys from girls (other than the more obvious stuff) is that guys can usually argue and then go for a beer and forget an arguement ever occurred. My wife on the other hand probably remembers every arguement. Actually she is probably to patient with me...

Many women do not forgive and forget but lock the memory away for future retrieval.

hmmmm.... I wonder if that is a trolling statement :-(. I think more outdoorsy women tend to be more down to earth and easy going...does that statement help?

Anyways...I do like the debate from time to time and I would rather chat with people that have their own opinions cause it makes one rethink their own even if they don't realize it. Better than having someone just nod and nod and say nothing. That is what pets are for.

Cheers.

Sun

I too have been really impressed with the level of help and friendliness on this board. I was not a member before the other board went offline so I can't speak about how it used to be. I do think that this one has improved because of what happened to the other board. None of us want to see that happen here and want to keep this great resource going and so I do really think there has been a direct effort by members to maintain what this board stands for and not waste each others time with nonsense.

Good on you mods and members.

For sure it's all the great members we have here. If it wasn't for you guys, it'd just be Dave and I talking about how we don't get to fish as much as we need to. Thanks anglers for making the site the success it is today. It's amazing to watch the site grow and evolve as it has over the last couple years. I agree with all the comments about the friendlyness of the site. I think we all have enough stress in our lives and the whole fly fishing / fly tying thing shouldn't add to it. It was great seeing a lot of the FFC'ers at the show in Calgary. Hopefully I can get back in the summer and wet a line with a few of you.

I have to also throw in "Participation", which is huge when it comes to having a great site. I've been to other forums for fishing and other themes where you can wait for days for new topics and/or posts. It's tough to bother staying around on those ones.

This site has great participation compared to other boards which is great. I can always count on some fresh reads when stopping by.

For the most part what separates guys from girls (other than the more obvious stuff) is that guys can usually argue and then go for a beer and forget an arguement ever occurred. My wife on the other hand probably remembers every arguement. Actually she is probably to patient with me...

Many women do not forgive and forget but lock the memory away for future retrieval.

hmmmm.... I wonder if that is a trolling statement :-(. I think more outdoorsy women tend to be more down to earth and easy going...does that statement help?

hey!!!! i'm going to have to remember that... for later. when we are ice fishing :P

nice recovery though. ;)

watch for dead perch missing an eyeball down the back of your jacket... that is if i ever catch one :blink:

the fly fishing community is not exactly huge, of the 1500 or whatever members here, there are 50 - 60 regulars who through less than 6 degrees of separation have pretty much fished with everyone, it is a lot more personal than some boards, and it really is hard to be a dick to someone you actually know than just some annonimous sign-on name. it certainly makes FFC a great place because everyone is willing to help each other out.