Fly Fusion Forums

Calgary Bashing

Several years ago when I lived in Grande Prairie, I was with some other rich whiny oil field guys working in High Level on a fine, bright -52 morning. We were working outside of course. The consultant comes up to me and asks "you're from Texas, right Rick?" "yesssss" is my shivering reply. "What do you think of the weather?" my inquisitive Albertan friend asks. "I think it's really #$@%ing cold, what do you think of it?" He laughs and says, "yep, it's really &%$#ing cold!" Bunch of damn whiners! ;)

Twas the winter of 96-97 in Grande Prarie - yes -50 below, when everything stops moving including your breath in front of you. Spent a year in the Prarie Haven motel there. What a treat. Free beer on the company though so it kept the chill off. I was a team at the Boston Pizza, ie I was allowed to order a team pitcher by myself. No wonder I quit boozin, had enough Rickard's Red to last me a lifetime. Now there's a town with traffic problems. Frick at -50 nothing goes anywhere.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twas the winter of 96-97 in Grande Prarie - yes -50 below, when everything stops moving including your breath in front of you. Spent a year in the Prarie Haven motel there. What a treat. Free beer on the company though so it kept the chill off. I was a team at the Boston Pizza, ie I was allowed to order a team pitcher by myself. No wonder I quit boozin, had enough Rickard's Red to last me a lifetime. Now there's a town with traffic problems. Frick at -50 nothing goes anywhere.

That was it. Except I was in HL during that particular little cold snap. We were doing rigless jobs with a small mast truck. We had no idea if the hydraulics would work or not. But it did, and we finished our work and got the heck out of there!

I think anytime you pack a million people into one valley it's gonna be ugly. I'm a much happier person now that I live in Cochrane, but even that seems too big sometimes.

It's fun complaining about traffic when I get stuck behind three other people at a light. :P

To quote Dave,

"On the Sheep"

I thought I saw some of that in New Zealand.

You'd more likely see it in Lethbridge...............

Thesheepseethelight.jpg

Found by a guy from New Zealand fishing in Alberta... it's like the sheep knew it and high-tailed (actually tuck-tailed) it outa there...

Give me Lethbridge anyday...

I can't even handle a Sunday drive for coffee in Calgary without getting lost.

:huh::unsure::blink:

Well I spent over 20 years in Edmonton and the lakes are better there, mostly because there is more of them and that's where I started to flyfish. Now I have spent over 20 years in Calgary and the mountains are better here, mostly because they are closer. As for the rivers there is just as much junk on both of them, it's just that the NSR is silty so you can't see the "floaties" but it does have some good evening hatches for Goldeye and you can catch sturgeon in the city. The Bow is a trout river and as it has been labelled "blue ribbon". Which I personally wish had never happened, because now we get all them dam tourists from BC. I am glad that I live in Calgary though, mostly because it's more of a white-collar town. In Edmonton I was involved in too many fisticuffs for my liking, more of the blue-collar thought. I still like going out to some of the pothole lakes around Edmonton after ice-out, it's pretty sweet. Then once the mosquitoe migration occurs I'm in the foothills west of Calgary casting to rising trout. So tomato-tomatoe, potato-potatoe whatever. I say all the fly fishers from both cities should target the central Alberta area and really tick off the Red Deer and Rocky Mtn House guys. :P

Well I spent over 20 years in Edmonton and the lakes are better there, mostly because there is more of them and that's where I started to flyfish. Now I have spent over 20 years in Calgary and the mountains are better here, mostly because they are closer. As for the rivers there is just as much junk on both of them, it's just that the NSR is silty so you can't see the "floaties" but it does have some good evening hatches for Goldeye and you can catch sturgeon in the city. The Bow is a trout river and as it has been labelled "blue ribbon". Which I personally wish had never happened, because now we get all them dam tourists from BC. I am glad that I live in Calgary though, mostly because it's more of a white-collar town. In Edmonton I was involved in too many fisticuffs for my liking, more of the blue-collar thought. I still like going out to some of the pothole lakes around Edmonton after ice-out, it's pretty sweet. Then once the mosquitoe migration occurs I'm in the foothills west of Calgary casting to rising trout. So tomato-tomatoe, potato-potatoe whatever. I say all the fly fishers from both cities should target the central Alberta area and really tick off the Red Deer and Rocky Mtn House guys. :P

And the Elk, Wigwam, St Mary's and Dragon Lake get all the tourists from Alberta. So suck it up :P

I like this forum :lol:

so a joker thread turns ugly..figuered steve was trying too say..why bother bashing cuz this is our home board.......yall need too chill...calgary is killer if ur a calgarin..one of the few born and raised.....rep your city is what i gotta say.....aintno trout river like the bow in a big city...anywere.....to each his own...i aint leaving cowtown for anything...

Trailhead,

They already target C. Alberta. OH, the joys of living @ the apex of a triangle with a million to the north, a million to the south and a 1/2 million between of which a goodly portion arrive every long weekend to PARTY!!!

The locals camp out in their basements till the action is over.

catch ya'

Don

LMAO I love Canmore even more after reading this thread. Very little crime, worst part of traffic is the occaisional train and the Photo radar guy in the grey truck.... Only place better was back on the farm where the only thing to hold up the drive was the odd unruly bull on the driveway........ Takes 60 seconds to hit the FTR outta the front door......

so a joker thread turns ugly..figuered steve was trying too say..why bother bashing cuz this is our home board.......yall need too chill...calgary is killer if ur a calgarin..one of the few born and raised.....rep your city is what i gotta say.....aintno trout river like the bow in a big city...anywere.....to each his own...i aint leaving cowtown for anything...

I was born in Calgary so I have a right to bash my hometown. I decided to move to Edmonton when I was 3 months old. Best decision I ever made, remember the day perfectly!

(Sorry we missed your bully fly demo Saturday Max - had to eat bad)

Weedy1,

Got ya' beat. I also was born in Calgary. Only lasted 6 days till the "smarts" kicked in. Mind you, I was raised @ Turner Valley. Close enough that you could see the "glow" from Calgary on a winters night. Did some of our shopping in Calgary.

Curiously, I got brainwashed by the Calgary/Edmonton thing. Lasted till both of my kids went to the U of A. Then I realized how bad I'd been taken. There are a lot of good folks from/in/around Edmonton. The same used to be said about Calgary about 500,00 people ago.

Used to hunt pheasants & Huns where McKenzie Town is now and whitetails along the river breaks and ducks & geese along the river. Guess that's gone too.

And for whoever said Edmonton was a blue collar town. Funny you should mention that. Was asking some folks from Edmonton about their success with outdoor related organizations. One person told me that Edmonton folks were blue collar and doers. He thought that Calgarians might be so used to "buying things" that doing wasn't an option. He may be right after watching TU Calgary's efforts to say nothing of the F&G club and the underwhelming support that clubs like Hook and Hackle provide.

Now lets beat up Toronto.

catch ya'

Don

Rub it in, Lone. Rub it in.......

Oh ya. Canmore sucks!!! Ya. I said it. Canmore sucks! I'm glad I only haved to drive through it every once in a while when going to a better place.

( B) )

Hydro---- I didn't know Canmore was on the way to heaven :lol: Also you will have to introduce me to your travel agent as I also didn't know you were allowed to go back and forth from there ;)

In all seriousness I dislike both Calgary and Edmonton only on the basis that I dislike big cities....... but as far as cities go both Edmonton and Calgary are pretty good..... they just need more gravel roads. and maybe a cow or 2 of the non plastic variety :D

I was born in Calgary, on the Banks of the Bow..I was lucky as my parents owned 500' of Bow river frontage..Been also lucky to have a grandfather who was British and came to Canada in 1896, and who was a flyfisher..Been this way my whole life...Love the Bow, Love ffing..Used to guide...Drifted the Bow every year without fail since 1969 ...I try hard to accept every different permuation of ffing, and all of the other things that often occur on this website, including all of the divergent opinions.. I am somewhat amused by all of the flak and crap that my posts provoke and always enjoy the rebuttal...Ladystrange...Do you live in Forestlawn??? Used to live in edmonton??? Why would you feel like all I wanted to do was cause *hit...I look at almost of the posters on this site as beginners, hopefulls, wannabees, or just plain in search of something to believe in...I have been this way all of my life..I have taught over 100 people to ffish, guided 100's of people, never taken it too seriously and seen many changes in this river,system and economy...I was born on the banks of the Bow in 1961 and feel some sort of right to express my opinion...I never wanted to fit in with this narrow, simple ,little clique, but I do have an opinion, view and will not be bullied into to submission...When I started ffing on this system...Country Pleasures wasn't even an Idea.. Believe me ,,They also werent the first ffing shop in Calgary ...BRING IT ON

You're just too good to be true

Can't take my eyes off of you

You'd be like heaven to touch

I wanna hold you so much

At long last love has arrived

And I thank God I'm alive

Pardon the way that I stare

There's nothing else to compare

The sight of you leaves me weak

There are no words left to speak

So if you feel like I feel

Please let me know that it's real

I love you baby and if it's quite all right

I need you baby to warm the lonely nights

I love you baby, trust in me when I say

Oh pretty baby, don't bring me down I pray

Oh pretty baby, now that I've found you stay

And let me love you baby, let me love you

You'd be like heaven to touch

I wanna hold you so much

Andy Williams - You're Just Too Good To Be True

Now Fishhead's version he sings to himself.

I’m just too good to be true

Can't take my eyes off of me

I’m just heaven to touch

I wanna hold me so much

Pardon the way that I stare

There's nothing else to compare

The sight of me leaves me weak

There are no words left to speak

So if I feel like I feel

Please let me know that it's real

I love me baby and if it's quite all right

I need me baby to warm the lonely nights

I love me baby, trust in me when I say

Oh pretty baby, don't bring me down I pray

Oh pretty baby, now that I've found me stay

And let me love me baby, let me love me

I’m just heaven to touch

I wanna hold me so much

fishhead,

Which shop are you talking about? Frenchies, Simpson & Lee or the combination Fly/Ski shop that was on 17th Ave just west of 14 street. Don't recall Russell's first location - the only one I recall was on 4th St. about 11 Ave. Or maybe Woodwards where I got my first Cortland 333 for 1.5 days pay in 1964.

Do recall when I got the first Country Pleasures catalogue. Wasn't sure what it was so I opened it in the basement away from prying eyes. Was surprised by the content. Was hoping for better.

catch ya'

Don

Don how did Fort Calgary look when it was a Fort and did it have a fly shop? ;)

Fishhead I was born on the banks of the Elbow back in 71 I was lucky my folks moved here from Wales and rented in Lakeview then I was lucky to move to Foxcreek then Vegreville and then I was unlucky and moved to Edmonton then lucky to get back to my roots in Calgary.

I am a self tought fly fisherman, I took up the sport to hang with the Ex Father-in-law but he found golf and never looked back. I love FFing I love Dave and Max and I can't help that I am a follower and a loner with no purpose in life. I can't help that without this site I will turn to a life of crime and faceless sex and drug use. This site helps me and I find nothing wrong with that.

WOW I love the net and the crap we can say on it LOL :lol: