Fly Fusion Forums

Which Is Your Favorite Reel Maker?

Which is your favorite reel maker?  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite reel maker?

• Hardy
    • Ross
    • Tibor
    • Islander
    • Sci Anglers
    • Abel
    • Galvan
    • Lamson/Waterworks
    • Teton
    • Pflueger

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

I've had a number of reels over the years from very cheap to pretty expensive. I always found that the line i wanted to use (say heavy sink) was never on my favorite reel. So a few years back I bought two Lamson reels and 3 extra spools - so that all of my lines would be on the same kind of reel and I could have a dry and wet rod set up at the same time when fishing a lake. Those reels were Ok - but I had problems with the internals on the reels (which Lamson replaced, twice) and I found that they overspun easily unless you had the drag set fairly high.

This year I went to replace the lot - and after considerable cost/benefit analysis went with 2 - Pflueger Trion 5/6 weight + 4 spools. I found them to be the best value (though I wouldn't suggest they are the best reels out there). For sure they are the best reels I've owned or used. I really like being able to swap lines and couldn't see laying our $200-400 for each real and another $100-$200 for each spool. The only knock I'd say is that they are a tad heavier than many other 5/6 reels, but I can't say as I've noticed while fishing with them. The reel is mid-arbour and is, I think, the same as the Orvis Battenkill, and the Reddington CD.

No regrets on this move so far.

As for Islander. While they may be good reels - I can't see how they would be good value (no offense intended - but they seem to be a 'look at me' item). While Hardy might also be pretty pricely, I think the symbolic value is high because you're buying history as much as buying a reel.

There is an expression, I think, that says, "You can tell a lot about a man by his shoes". I think the same can be said about his fly rod and reel. Me - My gear says, "He wants good stuff but he is also one cheap :$*%&: "

I'm very happy with the Islander I got this Spring and yes I like the sound when I have a fish on. On the other hand I'm disappointed with my TFO. The drag control is very poor. No complaints with my Pflueger President...

The Hardy reels have my heart. Their song gives me a thrill and the promise of a fight. My Hardy's are now second generation. They are as tight and solid as the day they where bought. The Hardy Marquis Salmon 2 handled Steelhead with pride again last fall. I own an Islander that has also impressed me. Solid reel and well made. My pick for a moderately priced reel would be the Pflueger President. This is a great reel for the price.

Hardy. When I can hammer down on chromers with a reel that was built a 100 years ago why look anywhere else... Perfect, Bougle, Salmon. and My next purchase will be A Spey Company reel. A grass roots company with a reel heavy enough to balance the long rod. I'm not into drag....

Islander as well for me, I'm also a big fan of my reel song, zzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! :) I've never owned a Hardy but I think it might be time to try a few out, I have really heard nothing but great things.

As of this yr Hardy has moved it's production on most lines to Asia, if you're wanting English built Hardy reels you're pretty much stuck with the used secondary markets.

I have three Lamson litespeeds, and I wouldn't trade them for the world. They such a pleasure to use, even above some of my more expensive reels.

Light, very reliable, no maintenance, silent, smooth as anything, and have never backwound on me.

For any price, I don't think I could pass up the litespeed.

• 2 months later...

Just goes to show you lots of great reel makers out there to choose form.

Nobody has mentioned to date the Wylie Coyote Acme Atomic Reel. Best of the bunch for distance. mind you about 5,000 feet of steel cable is needed and a large nuclear rocket with a saddle along with an assortment of boards and nails to put this baby together. But Oh Boy when you fire it up you can reach the other side of the Bow no problem.

Wyliecoyote_.jpg

• 3 months later...
Have a Islander trout series which drag is unreliable unless you soak it first in the river. Ok after that.

I fish the big Islander mooching reels when I go to the Charlotte's. Any reel is only as good as its weakest link and the open cork drag is the definate weak link. Dip your Islander in the river, let it soak for a bit then test the drag, a real world fail. Works flawless when it is dry and the cork has been conditioned, but really how often is a reel bone dry, especially on the coast or on a trout rod? Maybe not a big deal on a small trout rod/reel combo, but a huge issue when you need it with a big fish!

Nautilus all the way, never a regret.