Fly Fusion Forums

Which Is Your Favorite Reel Maker?

Which is your favorite reel maker?  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite reel maker?

• Hardy
    • Ross
    • Tibor
    • Islander
    • Sci Anglers
    • Abel
    • Galvan
    • Lamson/Waterworks
    • Teton
    • Pflueger

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys tried the Loop CLW reel?

Composite material, but they look like they are constructed well.

I'm looking for real reviews, but nobody seems to be saying much.

If they are cheap and tough they may be worth picking up at least as a back up reel.

Well like everything else in the world economy fly reels are no different. Hardy reels are being made/assembled in Korea,as are their rods...mostly! It is fair to say that the quality will not change but their value as collectables may over time shift,yet history will tell that story. AS for a reel being nothing more than a mechanism to store line,true in many cases,tell that though to 20 LB. Steelhead fresh from the ocean in fast water as it feels the prick of a hook! Or a 5 lb. Brown trout picking up a #10 nymph.

A good reel creates a cushion between our sought after quarry, our lure knot, and our ability to react.

This same question is active on most fly fishing(fishing) sites...every region has it's specific dynamics as does this.one. Interesting the relationship between Hardy and Phleuger on this site.

All I know is that there is nothing worse than hooking into the fish of a lifetime only to be greeted by terrible grinding noises and the eventual breaking off ,snapping the line,rod or something of similar nature..

The Loop CLW is probably the most widely used back-up reel out there. The body of the reel is a composite,the guts a fairly good drag system making it a good alternative. Don't drop this reel,,,the thin plate spool material will braek in the cold and on hard surfaces...the initial CLW reels had a serious problem with the handles breaking off during battles with good size fish. The re-design improved this issue...

Snowbee has answered this market demand with their XSD Cassett reel system.they built their XSD reel system around their excellent drag using a die cast body and composite spools..."Best in Test" England 2007. I tested them on large Chinook this past fall cranked to the max with ZERO issues...and in Salt Water....as well as Fresh. 2008 will see a 460 version and an 1112 version to compliment their 780 all for less that $200

If lucky will have some with us in Clagary for the Fly Fishing Show

Guest Rocknbugs

I have 2 Tetons which I use because my wife bought them for me as gifts I personally dont like either of them. When I bought my GLX I also bought a Ross CLA 2 and I love this real even though it is not there higher end it is sweet compared to my Tetons.

Pflueger, because they're cheap and hold my line nicely. The Supreme has a simple and effective drag and has yet to fail me after 2 seasons. It got a little squeaky once, but some wd40 takes care of that.

I had a couple of rainbows take line way too quickly off my Supreme a few years ago, and it completely wrecked the drag. Sent it back to the manufacturers and the reel has been fine for a few years since. My favorite reel would have to be the G-Loomis Ventures and the Browning Citoris. Fairly affordable and high quality. But since neither are on there, and I own a few affordable Pfluegers like the Trion and Supreme, I'll have to go with that.

PlyDoh...the SA reels are great reels, even though I've had bad luck with cheaper stuff. Stick to the System 2 and system 2L reels. Great drags and very light. I have a couple for back ups, but still use the 2/3L on my 2 wt.

Harps, heard a bunch of people buying the ClW reels when they came out, but I've now been seeing them being posted on buy and sell boards. Of course this happens to all reels, but it just seems that it's more prolific for these Loop reels (note: I do love Loop though...specifically when they were being made by Danielson)

Thanks Bloom,

The drag on the evotec is supposed to be good, and I heard the CLW had the same system. Would be nice if it worked...

Of course some folks prefer the shiney metal type reels, I just want something that can take a beating and I can't afford to drop my Lamsons anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Again I have to go with Hardy's for the no.1 slot, the Angel I own is just the dogs dangly bits, the drag is second to none, and the construction is out of this world, the wide large arbor eliminates a lot of the problems of line memory, just a nice reel full stop. But the Greys range are terrific value for the no.2 place or second reel, the GRX i has an excellent drag and a very robust build to it, as it also comes with 4 spools it makes a very economic system, I have the old GRX and the abuse it has taken this winter is unreal, the mud and blood that's been stuck to it, as well as being fished in salt water for a comp, well it says it all and it still performs great, I have used other reels but much prefer Hardy Greys

the clw and clwc reels do have an exceptional drag for the money. They can be a little fragile if dropped or stepped on. The drag in the composite reels is different than the G3 drag used on top end Loops. Can't say too much now but look out for a new reel from Loop shortly that will feature the g3 drag in a cast reel with some great features. The new reel will be an exceptional value for freshwater use. Loop will be at the upcoming Calgary show, come by the booth and I will give you the 411

Honestly, my favorite reel maker is Abu Garcia. My Cardinal has been used and abused, crushed, dunked, pitched, everything, and it's still incredibly smooth, with a bullet-proof drag.

But seeing as this is a fly fishing forum, I'll have to say, all I know is I've found a problem with every fly reel I've owned, and am still looking for the right one.