Fly Fusion Forums

Felt Soled Boots

10 hours ago, fishinglibin said:

As my boots are felt soled, and between water I want to fish just opened, and concerns for whirling disease, is soaking my boots in a bleach solution adequate for protection until I can replace them ? What do you guys use to clean your gear after? 

The best thing you can do is dry them in the sunshine---the UV plays a valuable component in killing any bugs.  Imagine a sponge.  If you submerge it, squeeze it (or step on it), release the pressure,  the sponge will hold a great deal of water.  To get the disinfectant throughout the sole, you would have to walk through a basin of disinfectant.

• Like 1

Quats are good thing to soak your boots in

You are probably asking yourself, what is a Quat?

“Quats” is the nickname used for quaternary ammonium compounds. Their disinfectant properties have been recognized for nearly 100 years. Quats have a common molecular structure. (Think of a basic car with interchangeable fenders.) Changing the basic molecule changes the characteristics of the compound and gives quats the ability to be used in a wide variety of household, institutional, and industrial products. These products range from disinfectants, sanitizers, and cleaners to wood preservatives, fabric softeners and personal care products. Quat-based disinfectants and sanitizers are used in medical facilities, food service operations, water treatment, and many industrial applications. They are also used to control algae in ponds and other aquatic environments.

• Like 2

I have one set of felts for the bow (and for while in a boat) and one sticky rubber with studs to fish mtn streams (disinfect in a mild bleach sol & dry between streams) but Quat is probably a bit better as the bleach can eat through stitching, etc..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bron said:

Got a pair of vibram recently. Surprised how good they are. Few studs and they will turn you into a tractor. 

Leaving the old felts for the boat. 

Could I ask what brand and model you got? I have a couple pair and even with studs they are barely keeping me up (and I'm too old to fall). 

Thanks

Adams

• 2 weeks later...

Quat is easy to buy at your local Acklands Grainger for those interested. and as it is concentrated the bottle will last a long time.

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/product/p/DSB50232?cm_sp=IDP-_-CAV-_-APD-_-PR-_-NT-NA-_-EN&analytics=RecommendationZones

Recommended cleaning methods for those interested....

http://albertaaquaticinvasives.ca/uploads/1/0/1/2/101215420/whirling_disease_decontamination_protocols_for_boaters_and_anglers.pdf

Hodgmans has an awesome boot with interchangeable soles their system is 100 times better than korkers. I have 2 seasons on mine I fish a lot and the boots are still like new. The hodgman boot i had 3 years ago was garbage so they sent me their new H-lock Vion design and i like them better than my old simms guide boot. Hodgmans is finally getting it right in the fly fishing gear department. 

• Like 1

On Thursday, July 05, 2018 at 2:20 PM, troutlover said:

Hodgmans has an awesome boot with interchangeable soles their system is 100 times better than korkers. I have 2 seasons on mine I fish a lot and the boots are still like new. The hodgman boot i had 3 years ago was garbage so they sent me their new H-lock Vion design and i like them better than my old simms guide boot. Hodgmans is finally getting it right in the fly fishing gear department. 

Troutlover. Thanks great info. WhAt types of soles can bd interchanged on the hodgeman?

30 minutes ago, fishinglibin said:

Troutlover. Thanks great info. WhAt types of soles can bd interchanged on the hodgeman?

felt, rubber, felt with studs, rubber with studs. I have grips i use just for the bow and ones i use just for BC. I like felt with studs on the bow. 

• Like 1