Fly Fusion Forums

Jet Boat At Fc Launch?

RunnyD

I was across the river and saw him too. Called RAP and a short time later saw F&W checking out his truck and trailer (he didn't move it to the parking area but rather left it parked at the top of the staging area and then headed downstream in the jet). F&W called me back and said that they had also forwarded details to City Police and Bylaw. Didn't look to me like he was doing any study-type work. Definitely not CFD.

• Like 4

I was across the river and saw him too. Called RAP and a short time later saw F&W checking out his truck and trailer (he didn't move it to the parking area but rather left it parked at the top of the staging area and then headed downstream in the jet). F&W called me back and said that they had also forwarded details to City Police and Bylaw. Didn't look to me like he was doing any study-type work. Definitely not CFD.

So jetting in the city, and parked like a dick.. classic

• Like 3

Yaw saw the CO enter the park as I was leaving and assumed he we on his way to the launch. Let us know if you hear back from them and what happened to the guy.

Was it a white Honda Ridgeline (or something like that) with Shimano etc decals on it? I've seen him jet above the Deerfoot Extension bridge a couple times if so.

Don't think it was. Saw a Chevy 1/2 ton at the launch when I left so I assumed it was his.

Had a similar experience last spring. A guy came ripping down the bow within citg limits, I called RAP, who then passed me onto CPS, who directed me to 311, which patched me through to Bylaw, who then connected me with CFD.

After a half hour of being connected, the Fire department came down to the river with sirens and lights a blaring. I had to walk 20 minutes to them, because no road was close by.

When the 3 firemen met with me, they we were very concerned about the person in the water. I had to tell them that no one fell in the water, but a jet boat was in the water. They didn't seem to care......

I mentioned that this was illegal, they weren't sure, so they contacted their chief. Then they told me to call RAP, it is there problem.

It was the total run around...not one of them knew who was actually responsible for enforcing the bylaw.

Who knows what happened to that guy, in that jet boat. I did some sleuthing on my own, I found his truck at Glenmore...Where I was fishing was a long way south of glenmore. He motored a heck of a long way within city limits.

Everything reported on this post confirms what many anglers feel

:

The CFD has no interest in policing the river because they have no jurisdiction to enforce the law!

Bylaw has no interest because they don't want to get their hands wet!

Police has no interest because they believe they have better things to do!

Fish an Wildlife (div. AEP) has little interest - its not conservation!

Conservation Officers (Solicitor General Office) are understaffed and to my knowledge do not have boats!

During the summer stone fly hatch, many power boat users put in at Policeman's early in the morning and go as far up as they feel comfortable. Remember Deerfoot Bridge is considered Calgary's boundary, but it could be argued that the north bank of the river down to Frenchman's is city property.

Take photos with license number and post it on this chat site. Put a name to the owner if possible.

Take photos with license number and post it on this chat site. Put a name to the owner if possible.

Honestly, I feel this is a bad idea. What will it accomplish? At the least, a bunch of people will post their outrage and we're no further than we were before. At worst, someone will see the truck parked somewhere and decide to vandalize it or confront the owner and things will degenerate from there.

I know of a few jet owners that are looking at challenging the bylaw.... perhaps this is one of them looking for a ticket.

this is more then just a bylaw, there is an exemption to the Navigation Protection Act.. And would probably go just as well as the people that challenged the lifejacket bylaw

Peter, CO's have jets.

• Like 2

Bcube:

Thanks for the correction.

To my knowledge the Navigation Protection Act is administered by the local protective services. And to that end the City or the Province must have consulted with the Feds to get a power boat ban on city waters. In this case the City Police and the Province would appear to have jurisdiction. The City bylaw relates to wearing life vests on Calgary rivers and lakes. A Bylaw office or City Police jurisdiction.

There was a petition put together by members of the guiding community a few years back to advocate for closing the bow river to jet boat use above Carsland. It went nowhere. Now a very large number of guides have jet boats. Therefore any extension of the "no jet boat ban" will receive considerable resistance.

Anyone have the time and conviction to try for a jet boat ban down as far as Frenchman's? You may get support from the City of Calgary!

bcube:

The out flow at Frenchman's is from the Sheppard settlement ponds (Ralph Kline Park). The property adjacent to the outflow is either owned or leased by the City of Calgary. One of the reasons this location was entered into the Calgary River Access Strategy.

It is conservation...its bad for the shoreline!

Would there be a noticeable difference if there were no waves lapping the shoreline from boats.

Consider that we have hundreds of fishermen/women clambering in & out, up & over banks day after day.

We have spring run offs, rising & falling water levels care of trans Alta.

Beavers dropping trees.

Cattle etc.. Lower down on river.

All these combined plus others all do there fair share of bank erosion.

• Like 2

Would there be a noticeable difference if there were no waves lapping the shoreline from boats.Consider that we have hundreds of fishermen/women clambering in & out, up & over banks day after day.We have spring run offs, rising & falling water levels care of trans Alta.Beavers dropping trees.Cattle etc.. Lower down on river.All these combined plus others all do there fair share of bank erosion.

Why is this kind of poor logic so common? (No offence) Paints gonna get scratched on my car anyways, so why not key it?

Fish are gonna die anyway, may as well keep them!

I may not be able to control cows but I can control boat traffic. It falls Along the same lines as guys driving on the bar at glenmore.

The fact is the wake erodes the shoreline and stirs up sediment. Part of the reason why the regulations state that a jet has to stay a certain distance from the shoreline.

• Like 1