Fly Fusion Forums

Jet Boat At Fc Launch?

RunnyD

Why is this kind of poor logic so common? (No offence) Paints gonna get scratched on my car anyways, so why not key it?

Fish are gonna die anyway, may as well keep them!

I may not be able to control cows but I can control boat traffic. It falls Along the same lines as guys driving on the bar at glenmore.

The fact is the wake erodes the shoreline and stirs up sediment. Part of the reason why the regulations state that a jet has to stay a certain distance from the shoreline.

Try telling that to the CFD. They don't give a sh*t about the shoreline or who's wading on the banks. I've near been put under by their wake and all they were doing was giving kids jet boat rides up and down the river with a photographer taking pictures of their happy passengers.

Ok you are herby boat traffic control guy.

No doubt a boat going up & down the river will stir up sediment & cause some erosion.

I guess it boils down to that fact that I'm tired of just about any & every opportunity somone has to spout about jetboats they do.

I don't think my logic is off, paint on car is going to get scratched then key it ? Keep fish they are going to die anyhow?

I personally don't think jets are as much of a contributor to bank erosion as everyone would like to think, as I said it's a heavily used River with many reasons for erosion.

Anyhow I'm an open minded guy, get your protractors out and show me just how much the river bank erodes from boat traffic.

Also show me how much from the others mentioned.

Yes wrong some dork was above the city limits, I get it.

Btw when I think jets on the bow I'm talking the small guys, little 30-40 hp jobs not big inboards out occasionally.

I personally don't think jets are as much of a contributor to bank erosion as everyone would like to think, as I said it's a heavily used River with many reasons for erosion.

It's been proven that they do contribute (i didnt look very hard and found 3 easy references).. Sure one boat may not count, but how bout the cumulative effects of many boats, every day, all summer, for years..

the maximum wake waves generated by three different craft (jet boat, outboard-powered boat, and jet ski) ranged in amplitude from 6 to 133 mm. They were 2-80 times larger than background windgenerated waves, and had from 2 to over 100 times the energy of background waves. Boat wakes generated suspended-sediment concentrations of between 1 and 740 mg/l; background concentrations ranged from 1 to 31 mg/l.

McConchie, J. A., and I. E. J. Toleman. "Boat wakes as a cause of riverbank erosion: a case study from the Waikato River, New Zealand." Journal of hydrology. New Zealand 42.2 (2003): 163-179.

Within a boat-generated wave train a number of characteristics were measured and most showed a high correlation with measured rates of bank retreat. Maximum wave height within the train is the simplest measure and is associated with a major threshold in erosive energy on unconsolidated sandy alluvium at wave heights of 30 to 35 cm. At maximum wave heights above 35 cm all but the most resistant bank sediments erode. Reducing maximum wave heights to < 30 cm by limiting boat speeds, and reducing the frequency of boat passages, caused a dramatic decline in bank erosion along the river.

Nanson, Gerald C., et al. "Experimental measurements of river‐bank erosion caused by boat‐generated waves on the gordon river, Tasmania." Regulated Rivers: Research & Management 9.1 (1994): 1-14.

This one is particularly damning:

Bank loss and boat activity were characterized during 1996 along 67 miles of the Kenai River, including a segment of the river several miles long where boat activity is restricted to non-motorized uses. Bank loss in the non-motorized segment of the river was about 75 percent less than that observed in the highest boat-use area of the river and 33 percent less than that observed in the lowest boat-use area of the river.
Dorava, Joseph M., and Gayle W. Moore. Effects of boatwakes on streambank erosion Kenai River, Alaska. US Geological Survey, 1997.
  • Like 2

It's been proven that they do contribute (i didnt look very hard and found 3 easy references).. Sure one boat may not count, but how bout the cumulative effects of many boats, every day, all summer, for years..

Ok I'll eat crow I guess lol

Again I didn't say they didn't erode banks just not as much as all would like to believe.

I still have a hard time believing with all the people traffic etc... How about the massive work project right in the river at the wier & on & on.

I know I won't win this one but oh well, I'll carry on , try to be respectful of other anglers when I'm out there.

This one is particularly damning:

Eagle, I'm not shtting on jets, I'm just saying that environmental damage is one reason they should be going after the guy jetting in a closed stretch.

No doubt all those other things you listed cause damage.

But to say "if you can't limit all the sources of damage, then there's no point to trying at all" is flawed logic. Like I said about your car, "welp, can't prevent the paint swirls, may as well just key the thing."

I believe I earned my troll status running into that brand of bulletproof logic on the flood mitigation thread.