Fly Fusion Forums

What's Up With Alberta Fishing Guide Magazine?

I don't know him personally. It's a public production. Would it be different if I was questioning the Calgary sun?

It's obviously not unnoticed by others as people have made jabs about it on the Alberta flyfishing page.

Don't get me wrong, I mean no disrespect to the Jensens.

They say/do so many great things about/for our fisheries and then post meatheads gill gripping bulls.

Maybe it's to not seem so elitist and to appeal to the masses. Maybe they don't feel that kinda stuff is the biggest threat to fisheries. Fair enough.

Just sends a mixed message is all.

As usual, I ruffled some feathers on this site. Hugs

• Like 3

Bron, it's not about ruffling feathers, trust me, you're tame compared to some of the previous forum members I've seen over the past 10 years.

And yes, I'm surprised actually you don't see this, it IS different than the Calgary Sun; part of a massive multi-national newspaper media conglomerate corporation of which the Sun is but one newspaper amongst many, as opposed to a husband and wife team publishing a single annual magazine? I don't think it matters a whole bunch that you don't know him personally; if the pictures ruffle your feathers, why not drop him a line. He's a fairly approachable guy. If you meant no disrespect, fair enough, but then...why not drop him a line?

Because, then, may I ask, what's your angle then? What's the purpose of the thread? Just to rant? These are fair questions, imho.

And no, I'm not one of Dave's besties or president of a fan club. :)

Mike

• Like 3

Bron:

Respectfully, if you have issues, doesn't Dave deserve to hear about it directly from you, if you have concerns?

Instead of airing your complaints on another forum like FFC?

Mike

Actually I think it's perfectly valid to discuss. One of the definitions of forum is "an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest" and I'd say this is a question of public interest. I didn't get any feeling from his post that it was an attack, rant, or axe to grind. Bringing it up on this forum can call attention to it and maybe then more people can express their concern. I've seen Dave post on this forum before so this can also give him an opportunity to explain to everyone here who may feel the same way. If someone is legally keeping a fish then I'm not worried about it, but if it's a protected species then I agree with Bron that it's troubling.

I'm not saying that this is or will be the case, but if just one person says something they can easily be dismissed as a single malcontent. If you get a large group of people who are part of your customer base saying the same thing then it's definitely time to sit up and take note and either make a change or explain the reasoning.

Only thing i don't like about Alberta Fishing Guide Magazine is there lake guy sometimes recommends certain techniques that are absolutely brutal on the fish if your not aware of the issues with using said techniques.

Like fishing bobbies

Guys. why I asked the question:

"What is your angle here"

I'm all for an open discussion. But let's be frank, often noble intent leads astray. Too often, discussions de-volve into soap box ranting. And so, I am being terribly pre-emptive here, let's be aware of that before a thread goes 3 pages.

Look, fish handling is an important discussion and deserves to, and ought to be discussed. It's been discussed before, and deserves re-visiting now and then. I'm simply saying that I hope that beyond the closed system of the FFC batting the issue around between a couple of dozen forum regulars, and a group of semi regulars, and hundreds of lurkers, at some point, the bottom line is reached. And that is, because the publication is small, and we know who runs it, there is an opportunity here to voice our concerns directly.

All I'm saying. Cheers.

Dave reached out to me. He has no issues with anyone who would like to ask these questions in a respectful manner on the FB page. Just an FYI. I imagine he would welcome an open, respectful discussion and the opportunity to clarify any issues.

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And no, I'm not one of Dave's besties or president of a fan club. :)

Mike

Dave reached out to me. He has no issues with anyone who would like to ask these questions in a respectful manner on the FB page. Just an FYI. I imagine he would welcome an open, respectful discussion and the opportunity to clarify any issues.

Mike

Maybe Dave should reach out to the forum and pass the message himself rather through "not one of Dave's besties". :glare: