Fly Fusion Forums

Watching "team Toolman" On Fishing With Dodger..

birchy

I was thinking I would like to join in but I really have no idea what kind of category I fit in. we need some structured guidelines I was thinking pros (not necessarily paid but experts) vs amateurs and then age groupings. So i would be the 30-40 yr old amateur group.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Clave in July Part, maybe by then my cast won't be quite so ugly, and It would be great to escape for a weekend.

as far as competition, not much in to that. but meeting member of the board in that setting. "I'll be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie."

Teck

I agree Teck. I don't care about the competition per se.... all though one half day of competition, measured success by total inches of fish, between teams, would be fun. I'd like to camp and meet everyone who would be willing to come out. I know some of you guys out there think there's an elitist "group" involved in this community... I kinda hope not. Here's our chance to all get together and share stories, tips, tricks, info, and a good time.

If flyfishing was all about casting, would we still do it? :lol:

I remember reading an article (forget by who) about how he went fishing with a world champion distance caster. The caster couldn't catch a fish. The problem was, he laid his line out too straight, causing immediate drag. When it comes to nymphing, that sixth sense also plays a major role.

Like hockey skills contests, but it doesn't alway expose the best players. Once you're on the ice, it a whole different story.

I still like the idea of skills contests. It can be fun and striving to win will improve your catch rate, but nothing replaces time on the water and/or the sixth sense.

Some thoughts - on the "skills competition" side of things. an on the lawn target casting course perhaps? someone bring things like - a hula hoop, a dinner plate, a pop can etc. If ya hit all 3 from 30 feet, you go on to the next round, etc. And a long cast competition, on the lawn, with any ONE rod (anotherwords, someone can't come in with a 10 foot 6wt rod and compete against some one with a 7 foot 3 , 3wt rod)... so we'd need to decide on a rod we all figure we can cast at the competition.

On the river? It's all about one's ability to catch fish... the true skill on the river isn't being pretty or precise... it's catching fish. If being pretty AND precise catches you more fish... then great. But I've seen a few fellas that are as sloppy as hell on the casts that could outfish 95% of the Bow river fisherman..

I'd like to see as many people participating as possible. Thanks for getting involved guys.

I think the casting elements can be fit into real fishing sceniario's on the river, rather than lawn casting evaluations which can get boring. We are looking at setting up challenges which require the participant to cast to a target, demonstrating a specific cast from designated casting stations, including mending and controlling the drift to and through the strike zone and than recasting with a clean pick up etc. Simple, but fun and challenging...Of course, some tasks may have a few obstacles in the way...grin.

These different challenges will increase in difficulty through each round untill we get to the last challenge which will be very difficult for even the best of fisherman...

I like the Clave in July Part, maybe by then my cast won't be quite so ugly

Teck

I had something to say there but i don't know ya well enough yet. If Rickr had said that i'd of been all over him.

What the hell is a CLAVE

I'm down for a camping weekend also.

Sorry no hooks allowed... :wacko:

Ok i'm still in but what the hell. Spend 5 hours on the river with no hook. Seems like sacralige to me. Like guys i see walking there dogs along the bank without a flyrod in there hands. That will be hard to do but i'm in it for the team and the betterment of my skills. There better be some GD fishin going on after though. Hard enough to get time away from the family for real fishin.

Don't worry, you can practise with hooks for the next 3 months...a couple of hours for the Team...a small sacrifice for glory...grin. Plus, we're gonna fish when the competition is over. We will have something on the end of the leader, but the hook point will be cut off or something.

Well....I ain't being the only chick who's gonna stick her neck out there other than to roast weenies, so I'll just say that if you fine gentlemen decide to turn this into a weekend that involves drinking profusely and telling dirty jokes around a campfire, then count us in. It's been talked about so many times over the years (and especially on "the old board") that it should really happen. I'm great at organization/facilitation, so I'm happy to contribute in that regard if that's what is needed. But I'm with Brian - just a weekend meeting y'all and watching some cool stuff on the river with a bit of FRIENDLY competition would be worth the price of admission.

We are looking at setting up challenges which require the participant to cast to a target,

Moving targets would be interesting. Attach a small hoola hoop on a rope, chuck it out , let it drift and the participant has to nail it within so many seconds. I wouldn't think the hoop should be any bigger that 6" cause I know any semi capable from Calgary could nail it. The boys from anywhere else probably only need a 3" hoop. ;)

Ok so team Hawgstoppah is

Hawgstoppah,

Kritofr,

3 open spots.

Or is is team captain and then 5 members?

My team is going to be semi experienced bow river fisherman. Let's see if the young guns can take us down. MTB you on my team? Need yah. Need a few more vets too. :lol:

Lynn, this sounds awesome, let's roll with it. Anyone know how to book the group campsite area at carseland? Let's do this. Can't think of anything more fun here. If we plan it now, I'm sure everyone can get the time off....

i dn't think you can book ahead in Carsland except in the little private area by the store. WE used to have to set up a tent 2 days early to get a spot on the longweekends. They do have some big double sites though. we could probably get a bunch together. There a group campsite on the highwood we go to every year. out by longview. Holds 100 peaple i bet. Huge fire pit.all the wood you want, cook shack if it rains, baseball diamond and horseshoe pit. 5min walk to the river. Padlock on gate so its totally private. we go buck wild in there, no one aroound for miles.

IIRC, there is a large group camp setup in there, mostly a gravel parking lot on the east side of Hwy 24 but some treed areas, used to go in there back in the 80's when the parents were with an amateur radio club. There was a group shelter, horseshoe pits, ball diamond, etc.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=50....p;z=17&om=1

They also take reservations for the site:

http://www.wyndhamcarselandpark.com/faqs.htm

nice work Cheeler. i didn't even know there was camping on the other side of the HWY. Jeezuz could they have gotten a shitier picture of the river for the world to see. looks like the missippi all muddy and brown.