Fly Fusion Forums

Watching "team Toolman" On Fishing With Dodger..

birchy

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you are going to start a popularity war in which you choose people by their number of posts and not their fishing ability?

lol.. burnnn is right!

I'd be comfortable putting my fishing ability to the test against any other 1st year fly angler.

Can't speak for rickr or chidders.. but i'm thinking they feel the same way.

So it's:

rickr

chidders

birchy

dustin

Anyone else? :P

Haha Who said i was first year? Im well past that point :) however seeing some of your posts and pictures i would put you well ahead of many of my friends who are 1st year fly fisherman. That being said i didnt mean to be rude with my comment, i was just pointing the obvious. However if we had a rookie comp on the Bow i would be in as im new to that river and have been skunked about 60% of the time i have fished it, however i did catch a 25inch brown earlier in the year if thats any consolation.

Yeah...If I'm not mistaken, I'd say Dustin was on the Canadian Jr. Flyfishing Team last year at the world championships? So, I don't think he qualifies as "rookie"...lol. So, I would go with Troutslayer...and a 5 man team.

I'll be your Coach though....

Who are we going to compete against? Maybe team MadMax? We'll give em' a whippin they won't soon forget... :lol:

yeaaaah. this actually sounds like it would be alot of fun. Some fitchin and some wobbly pops. only one handers though ya cheatin bastards.

ps and thanks birchy..i'm quit happy with my progress this year. Even had the pleasure of the king of swing swinging my rod for the nymping clinic at the bow river clean up. Tahts as close as i've come to fishin with one of the legends. Correction, i do fish with LK2 and i consider him a well knowleged fisherman and great fun to fish with. has taught me alot. Still need Greg,MTB max, hawg,rev bob, kung fool and san juan if none of the above can make it.

LOL just kidding.. :P any time man.

Guest bigbadbrent

Deal, 4 bucks a person, thats nothing...

gotta get the ranks together..

Mid winter fish off, must be below -10 degrees celcius. No coats, waders or shoes allowed

Deal, 4 bucks a person, thats nothing...

gotta get the ranks together..

Mid winter fish off, must be below -10 degrees celcius. No coats, waders or shoes allowed

Huhhh? Let's make this about "fishin", not who's is bigger and in -10C... I ain't entering that race...

Guest bigbadbrent

haha, everyone see that?

he backed right off...20 bucks please!

hahaha, just bugging ya Greg,

I'm sure if we can all get together in the spring it will happen, might have to make our own bow river 1 fly contest

I think it's possible to look forward to some nice fishing days all through the winter for the competition. Lets keep this about fishing skills and strategy. One fly or three, sink tips, indicators... use any fly gear you want as long as it is legal.

Guest bigbadbrent
I think it's possible to look forward to some nice fishing days all through the winter for the competition. Lets keep this about fishing skills and strategy. One fly or three, sink tips, indicators... use any fly gear you want as long as it is legal.

I'll talk to the guys i mentioned, or try to find some new ones, you make your team, i'll attempt to make mine haha...

Once we hear of a good chinook we should try and do it...without having boats though it would be tough, as it would almost be a bum rush to the wintering holes.

Im sure we can figure it out

Oh...just to clarify...This competition won't have much to do with how many trout you catch, but more focused on skills,

with Judges scoring points, including Casting (ie, distance, accuracy, single spey, double spey, overhead, double haul, reach casts, tuck casts, casting sink tips etc).... Line Control, (stack mends, slack mends, etc.)... also different flyfishing techniques, ie. Nymphing methods (Long line/indicator, High Stick, Upstream nymphing), Swing presentations (wet/dry, waking, hitching, skating, sink tips), Streamer methods/presentations, retrieves, sink tips, presenting Dry flys, terminal tackle ect. ect. etc.

I'll work on writing something up and getting a couple of judges.

Better get practising boys....tight loops!

Guest bigbadbrent

Max, we need some spey rod lessons (me, far more then you hahah), stat!

I think it should be based mostly on how many trout you can catch. Doesnt matter how far you can cast, if you cant read water or hit the right seam....I never single or double speyed before i got the spey rod, and i still catch the odd one or two..

This sounds like it could be a fun time. I would say we all take a weekend this summer/spring out of our busy lives and head down to the crowsnest/castle river area. Set up a big giant base camp where we can spend the whole weekend exchanging good stories over a couple wobbly pops or some scotch on the rocks for those who crave that? Id chose the castle river area as it has PLENTY of prime fishing water for Rainbows, Rockies, Bulls, and Cutts. We could do a competition of 4 people per team, which would allow 2 sub-groups to hit 2 separate bodies of water. Set up some guidelines over the weekend like biggest bull/rainbow ect… of course a camera/picture would be required. I think something like this would be awesome and could become a yearly “adventure” much like the bow river clean up. But I would hate to see the planning go into something like this and have it fizzle out like the K-Lakes tourney.

Id be down if anyone else would want to.

We'll use single handers at 30 paces....not backing out are you Brent? If you're a "real" fisherman, with skills (and that's what catches the fish), then come and show everyone...especailly the judges. Yep, it's about skills or it's just bs to me.

Edit: Dustin, we're looking at this bieng a Saturday morning adventure, as it would be difficult to plan a weekend with so many folks involved, many who have children and families to attend to.