Fly Fusion Forums

Watching "team Toolman" On Fishing With Dodger..

birchy

Oh...just to clarify...This competition won't have much to do with how many trout you catch, but more focused on skills,

with Judges scoring points, including Casting (ie, distance, accuracy, single spey, double spey, overhead, double haul, reach casts, casting sink tips etc).... Line Control, (stack mends, slack mends, etc.)... also different flyfishing techniques, ie. Nymphing methods (Long line/indicator, High Stick, Upstream nymphing), Swing presentations (wet/dry, sink tips), Streamer methods/presentations, sink tips, presenting Dry flys, ect. ect. etc.

I'll work on writing something up and getting a couple of judges.

Better get practising boys....tight loops!

Ah crap...

Ummm... yeh.. uhh.. I think I might be sick that day... *cough*

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigbadbrent
We'll use single handers at 30 paces....not backing out are you Brent? If your a "real" fisherman, with skills, than come and show everyone...especailly the judges.

30 feet, thought this was a competition?

Anybody can practice his casting on the front lawn or baseball diamond.....catching fish is more a test of skills then anything else

This sounds like it could be a fun time. I would say we all take a weekend this summer/spring out of our busy lives and head down to the crowsnest/castle river area. Set up a big giant base camp where we can spend the whole weekend exchanging good stories over a couple wobbly pops or some scotch on the rocks for those who crave that? Id chose the castle river area as it has PLENTY of prime fishing water for Rainbows, Rockies, Bulls, and Cutts. We could do a competition of 4 people per team, which would allow 2 sub-groups to hit 2 separate bodies of water. Set up some guidelines over the weekend like biggest bull/rainbow ect… of course a camera/picture would be required. I think something like this would be awesome and could become a yearly “adventure” much like the bow river clean up. But I would hate to see the planning go into something like this and have it fizzle out like the K-Lakes tourney.

Id be down if anyone else would want to.

i second dustin's motion - july long weekend anyone? i'll roast weenies and fish - no skills here, just shear dumb luck. but i'm cute, so it doesnt matter :P

lol.. burnnn is right!

I'd be comfortable putting my fishing ability to the test against any other 1st year fly angler.

Can't speak for rickr or chidders.. but i'm thinking they feel the same way.

So it's:

rickr

chidders

birchy

dustin

Anyone else? :P

Birchy, you stated plain n' clear, "I'd be comfortable putting my fishing ability to the "test" against any other 1st year fly angler".....

Now here's your chance....grin.

Like I said before, it's about skills boys, everything else is "mine's bigger than yours" and I call bs...

Guest bigbadbrent

So,

Whats the teams gonna be then?

Toolman's Padawan Learners vs the Young Guns

rosters to be named...

Skill competition, followed by a fun day of fishing and coffee and burgs?

I'd like to steal SJW as our coach, just incase the patented TH fishing skill is required ;)

30 paces is 30 yards, or 90 feet.

I wouldn't underestimate the details to a group event, not regulation wise, but rather the responsibilities. Although fly fishermen would definitely be in the "low impact" category, a few dozen people with spiked boots, advanced fishing skills & instructions/advice, custom flies, alcohol and wieners to attract the bears, lol j/k.

I'm not suggesting its a bad idea, but I read an article in a magazine recently (AB game warden), and it printed a letter from a reader who vilified ATV's and although it was a bit over dramatic IMO, it did talk about the impact they have on creeks, streams, rivers and wildlife. Some of the aspects I hadn't really appreciated till after I read it.

Without question organizing a competition could be done effectively, and although 8 people working a wintering hole could be detrimental, I doubt it would cause much harm. However a weekend even publicly announced, is another beast altogether.

Guest bigbadbrent
We'll use single handers at 30 paces....not backing out are you Brent? If you're a "real" fisherman, with skills (and that's what catches the fish), than come and show everyone...especailly the judges. Yep, it's about skills or it's just bs to me.

Edit: Dustin, we're looking at this bieng a Saturday morning adventure, as it would be difficult to plan a weekend with so many folks involved, many who have children and families to attend to.

I work saturdays, so it would either have to be a sunday afternoon, or after school ends.

Anytime you want a 30 yard cast-off, let me know ;)

jezuz birchy...you really started something here. I'm going to need some coaching Greg. I can catch fish but as far as all that other stuff, not to sure. My casts aren't pretty but they get the job done. Show me the ways of the dark side.....I'M IN.... :ph34r:

jezuz birchy...you really started something here. I'm going to need some coaching Greg. I can catch fish but as far as all that other stuff, not to sure. My casts aren't pretty but they get the job done. Show me the ways of the dark side.....I'M IN.... :ph34r:

No kidding dude!! I'm scared now.

Guest bigbadbrent
and i sure do like the sound of a weekend get away. I could swing that i bet.

Could be our first FFC Clave (other then Clives Dec 21st one)

i will host the bbq, bring your meat and throw it down. i'll take care of it.

:blink:

perhaps i should rephrase that. mostly for SJW.

i will babysit the grill and the cooler. i would be in need of a grill, however. i will bring the ketchup, musturd, buns for the hotdogs and hamburgers but y'all have to bring what you want cooked... on the grill. and ur own drinks. i can do a coleman stove for hot chocolate and coffee.

a sunday would be best for me but hey i'm not fishing until after food. so my opinion doesnt really count for much. cause any idiot can operate a bbq

not blowing everyone up is the real challenge

Suppose it depends on each ones phase in the book of Hawgstoppah if they want to "compete" against one another.....:P

"I used to say there was 5 phases of fly fishing. You can see where a lot of people on this board are just by most of the posts and comments they make.

Phase 1 - just picking up the sport... bought a rod, learning to cast etc.

Phase 2 - landed the first fish, starting to get the odd one here and there.

Phase 3 - complete obsession with numbers and size of fish.

Phase 4 - land a truly HUGE fish you don't think you'll ever top... start realizing there's gotta be more to fishing

Phase 5 - back to the roots. You enjoy every trip out, fish or no fish. You go more for scenery, friends, and conversation. The actual quality of fishing means very little. Small fish, big fish, who cares... you like them all laugh.gif"

Sounds like fun!! if theres a young guns team im in BBB

Ok then, the first Sunday, with wind less than 20km. and +5C or better forecast, in March 2008, will be the tentative date for the competition. I thought we could maybe call it the FlyFishCalgary Rookie Challenge, where the young guns (more than a year of fishing experience) take on the first year flyfisherman. I'll work on writing the challenges/skill tests, so that everyone will know what to expect and can practise. It's gonna be tough, so if you don't practise, you will fail miserably.

Anytime you want a 30 yard cast-off, let me know ;)

Sure Brent, let's do that. But, we will use our left hands (non-dominant casting hand)....my right elbow is shot to hell.

I'll take you on at the Competitons in March, after my Rookie Team shames you "young guns"....grin

Fundamentally Toolman this has become a pissing contest; a whose is bigger then whose competition. I don’t know how this all started as I never once insulted anyone's fishing ability. I just stated that it seemed that this all-star cast of "Newbie" Fisherman was composed mainly of the most outspoken members of this board, for 1st years anyways. Granted I am sure they are definitely some of the best New Fly fisherman out there. As for me or anyone saying they are better then anyone else in this board, that is just absurd. I will be the first to admit that I bet you would work me up and down the bow river, and that you are a better nympher then I hope to ever be. Everyone here has his or her strengths and weaknesses. I would gladly have a competition for shits and giggles, as I am sure it would be just that and a great learning experience for many. However I get the feeling that you are taking this post in a negative light and I assure you that there was no intention of that in the first place. I would love to be able to have a competition casting to a rising brown stuck tight to a low over hanging branch and a log jam, im sure I would out perform many in that occasion. But a set competition, 1 hand 30paces, no backing, no stripping. I think that is getting away from the point, let alone putting a wager on it. Anyways that being said, I hope this goes from a pissing contest into something more enjoyable. Or I could be complete wrong in assuming that, and just keep quiet.

Dustin

Ahhh way off base Dustin...This is about having some fun, working on skill developement over the winter months and challenging yourself to be a better angler. No one loses and everybody wins. Plus, did I mention FUN...the reason we flyfish, cause it's pleasureable. Hope you're still interested.

Oh...just to clarify...This competition won't have much to do with how many trout you catch, but more focused on skills,

with Judges scoring points, including Casting (ie, distance, accuracy, single spey, double spey, overhead, double haul, reach casts, tuck casts, casting sink tips etc).... Line Control, (stack mends, slack mends, etc.)... also different flyfishing techniques, ie. Nymphing methods (Long line/indicator, High Stick, Upstream nymphing), Swing presentations (wet/dry, waking, hitching, skating, sink tips), Streamer methods/presentations, retrieves, sink tips, presenting Dry flys, terminal tackle ect. ect. etc.

I'll work on writing something up and getting a couple of judges.

Better get practising boys....tight loops!

Lets see:

Fish catching ability, small check

Casting: sucks

Ability to even know what half those casts are: sucks

Line control: sucks

High sticking: sucks

Swing presentation skills: sucks

Czech Nymphing: sucks.

Dry fly, really, really sucks

Whats a loop? That's one of those trailing things, isn't it? If so, I'm ok at that. If not, sucks.

But what the hell, LS is roasting weenies. I'm still in.