Fly Fusion Forums

Watching "team Toolman" On Fishing With Dodger..

birchy

Lets see:

Fish catching ability, small check

Casting: sucks

Ability to even know what half those casts are: sucks

Line control: sucks

High sticking: sucks

Swing presentation skills: sucks

Czech Nymphing: sucks.

Dry fly, really, really sucks

Whats a loop? That's one of those trailing things, isn't it? If so, I'm ok at that. If not, sucks.

But what the hell, LS is roasting weenies. I'm still in.

Great! It's not just me! :)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see:

Fish catching ability, small check

Casting: sucks

Ability to even know what half those casts are: sucks

Line control: sucks

High sticking: sucks

Swing presentation skills: sucks

Czech Nymphing: sucks.

Dry fly, really, really sucks

Whats a loop? That's one of those trailing things, isn't it? If so, I'm ok at that. If not, sucks.

But what the hell, LS is roasting weenies. I'm still in.

BIG YELLOW STICK....CHECK

I think one of the fun skill tests we should do is have someone stand out at a certain distance holding out a hula-hoop at arms length.. you then have to cast your loop through the hula-hoop.

Saw it on "Lessons with Lefty".. looks like fun!

realistically if I think a day with demos by an experienced caster of all those things and maybe a few small competitons covering accuracy at distance's and a straight distance comp would be feasible..... If you wanted a competiton (and a decent one) for all those things in 1 day I would love to see the logistics not just for time but judging as well. I'm not sure its even healthy to judge peoples fishing techniques...... if you wanna do that make it a 1 day fishing event and let the fish be the judge. Distance and accuracy are 2 measurable challenges and I think thats the reason you are more likely to see contests for them then you are to see contests for upstream nymphing the best judge of technique is gonna be the fish..... I don't mean to be negative at all.... just my opinion

i will roast your weenie for you rickr, no worries LOL

i've been fly fishing for 16 years ish but only seriously for 6 and i didnt know what half the casts were. well, i know, just cant exactly do, shall we say. and i'm staying out of the nymphing.

dry flies, small stream, i'm all over that.

dustin, if we get this camping weekend in the castle area next summer, i'm going to take you up the gardner, there was a really big bull under a really tight over hanging willow in 1ft of water, 3ft from open water current, as close to the bank as you can get. we drifted dries past his nose that just werent quite close enough and chucked streamers to piss him off and nothing. if he comes back, i'd like to invite you to give it a go.

I think it is easy to judge someones nymph presentation, including mending abilities, casting etc. in a real fishing environment, separate from just casting evaluations, which will also be included and likely based on FFF basic instructional guidelines. So the real deal, within reach for these guys and the solid fundamentals of fly fishing.

Streamer casting/presentation with a couple of different retrieves, one strip and another a continuous motion retreival at uniform speed. Dry fly casting on the water into a ring target at set distances. That kind of thing. We can try and keep it fun and practical as well. I'm sure we can find a couple of judges with the knowledge and experience to give a good evalutation and a few helpfull tips to all participants.

Guest bigbadbrent
Sure Brent, let's do that. But, we will use our left hands (non-dominant casting hand)....my right elbow is shot to hell.

I'll take you on at the Competitons in March, after my Rookie Team shames you "young guns"....grin

As my post in the spey forum, my left arm is ruined...my shoulder is useless, so there is no hauling, infact, not much MOVING of that arm without problems

Hey Dustin,

I didn't see any of this post giving you a hard time. As one of the outspoken 1st years, I actually thought your original comment was pretty funny.

As far as the contest part of this goes, I'm all for it. I can guarantee anyone watching me try most of that stuff will get a great laugh out of it!

Guest bigbadbrent

But i'm down for this for sure, march sounds great. I'll even get the day off if i have to, make it an noon competition, then fishing together after...

I agree with Lonefisher though, casting ability is all perspective....fish are the real judge

Guess i gotta get my Z-axis before hand :)

maybe we should have an oldtimers team, those who have been fly fishing for over 30 years. let them show us how it is really done.

Now I'm really confused as to what category I'm in:

I would say I'm in Hawg's level 3

I'm an oldtimer in age, a newbie in experience

I have a pretty nice bum.

you would be in the 1st years, then there are the young guns - max, brent etc who have more than 1 yr and less than 30, being that they are only 20 ish

and the oldtimers for those who have more than 30 years of fly fishing experience. they might not have all the casts or shoot the longest or the straights lines, but sure as hell, they'll cheat well enough to catch the most fish because they've been doing it longer

i want to learn the cheating part

I guess it sounded a bit hardcore, but it was to make a point that fishing success usually comes with learning these fundamental skills, and working at it, to improve. I like the spirit shown by the Rookies. They sound like they're up for the challenge and willing to put aside a little time to have some fun and work on it. So am I.

I'll captain the Old Vets team. Need 5 flyfishers who have been on the Bow for a while... let's say... fished it for 10 or more years.

We should make this a "clave". July sometime. I'll book it off work now if we do. We could book the group use area at Carseland.. and all camp and have fun. Make it for about 2-3 days. :lol: I'll bring the weinies! :P

That's the spirit. I will consult with a few folks to get some input for a list of challenges to cover the fundamentals.

Any one is welcome to add suggestions, comments.

How about some real Alberta challenges then!

-Most fish caught and landed while holding a Tim's in one hand

-Successfully fishing the city portion of the Elbow on a hot long weekend. Bonus points for bikinis.

-200 yard pontoon boat rescue dash

-Nailing a poacher with a jar of eggs from 30 yards

-grand theft auto using a flyrod

If flyfishing was all about casting, would we still do it? :lol: