Fly Fusion Forums

The 2016 Sportfishing Regulation Available

Recovery Rest Period
Ø Due to a conservation concern for a high risk population of Arctic
grayling in the upper Pembina watershed, a recovery rest period is being
implemented for a period of 5 years. During this time, no fishing will be
permitted in the Pembina River and tributaries upstream of Lodgepole.

Seriously fewer grayling because of overfishing ? No
Habitat destruction ? Yes

The only thing five years will do is allow Brook Trout to take overmore of the Pembina as have in the Lovett a tributary of the Pembina.

But what's next ? Close all Bull Trout , Cutty, Grayling and native Rainbow streams to angling ?

• Like 2

Bow River Reg:

arrows.giffrom the Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir (includes 500 m of the Highwood River and the 3 Carburn Park Ponds) but excluding all waters in the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (see Inglewood Bird Sanctuary) – Open all year.
circle-filled.jpg Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.

Is this new?

I'm really pleased to see a reg that sets a length maximum instead of a length minimum.

• Like 3

Might have found another new bit:

Crawling Valley Reservoir, including the Crawling Valley Inlet Canal downstream of the canal headworks (Little Dam) (3-21-18- W4) – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 0; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10.
May 8 to Nov. 30 – Open only between sunrise and sunset each day.
Dec. 1 to Mar. 15 – Open 24 hrs. a day.
Mar. 16 to May 7 – CLOSED

A no keep limit on pike is long overdue here. This fishery badly needs some relief.

• Like 1

Crawling Valley Reservoir, including the Crawling Valley Inlet Canal downstream of the canal headworks (Little Dam) (3-21-18- W4) – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 0; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10.

A no keep limit on pike is long overdue here. This fishery badly needs some relief.

This is fantastic news. I fish mainly at CVR and there is such a lack of pike in there its insane. That being said I saw a 25lb pike last spring. He came after my mini pike as I was reeling it in.

The Sunrise to Sunset thing is bizarre....Tough to enforce that one...

I was referring for to the time of day and the specifics behind when the sunset sets. Anyway if its C and R what does it matter ?

Because there are tons of poachers out there. It's easier to just fine anyone fishing after dark as you can pretty much guarantee they're up to no good.

I don't see any references to tiger trout unless I missed it..

Mike

"As many of you have heard, in the fall of 2015, we stocked tiger trout into a small number of ponds in Alberta to evaluate their success in creating more diverse fishing opportunities for stocked trout. At this time, we ask that all tiger trout be released so that this experimental stocking program can be properly evaluated."

"In order to evaluate their effectiveness in providing more diversity of fishing opportunities at stocked trout lakes, tiger trout were stocked into three lakes in October 2015. The waters stocked are: Black Nugget Mine Pit (11-49-18-W4), East Twin Lake (29-97-22-W5) and Lower Chain Lake (7-69-23-W4). Tiger trout have yet to be defined as a game fish in Alberta, by federal regulation. Fisheries Management asks that all tiger trout caught be voluntarily released. The required regulation change is expected to be completed and enacted during the 2016-17 fishing season. Anglers are advised to check the Environment and Parks and MyWildAlberta websites for updates."

• Like 1

"In order to evaluate their effectiveness in providing more diversity of fishing opportunities at stocked trout lakes,

Again not sure the point behind this either ? Yes of course it will provide more diversity..yes people will like it..More stocked lakes should have multiple species.. We have been saying that for years.. The only things it when you have such small numbers of other trout like Tigers don't stick them in lakes that will winter kill like Black Nugget..Dumb

• Like 1

Recovery Rest Period

Ø Due to a conservation concern for a high risk population of Arctic

grayling in the upper Pembina watershed, a recovery rest period is being

implemented for a period of 5 years. During this time, no fishing will be

permitted in the Pembina River and tributaries upstream of Lodgepole.

Seriously fewer grayling because of overfishing ? No

Habitat destruction ? Yes

The only thing five years will do is allow Brook Trout to take overmore of the Pembina as have in the Lovett a tributary of the Pembina.

But what's next ? Close all Bull Trout , Cutty, Grayling and native Rainbow streams to angling ?

Now don't get me wrong, I love grayling and would like to see them recover in that area but this is not going to help at all! The area managers in that region love closing everything down instead of thinking about it first. Even though grayling are extirpated from almost the entire drainage aside from a few certain stretches they are still closing it down. Unless they are actually starting to re-introduce this species in the majority of those tribs this change will have absolutely no impact aside from preventing guys from going fishing for whitefish and brookies. I used to fish many of the creeks which are now closed, I have never caught a grayling and will definitely miss the chance to go catch 50-60 nice size fish a day. The government has had chances to help the grayling in that area over the past few years and have made no effort. And no public consultations whatsoever, fisherman in other areas should be concerned drastic changes like this can be made in such an underhanded way.

• Like 2

"In order to evaluate their effectiveness in providing more diversity of fishing opportunities at stocked trout lakes,

Again not sure the point behind this either ? Yes of course it will provide more diversity..yes people will like it..More stocked lakes should have multiple species.. We have been saying that for years.. The only things it when you have such small numbers of other trout like Tigers don't stick them in lakes that will winter kill like Black Nugget..Dumb

Voluntarily catch and release still is pathetic. People can keep as many as they want because they still aren't a bloody game fish... Good "conservation" stocking strategy. Most expensive trout to produce and if you know what you're doing you can take out a few dozen mud tasting trout each time out. Excellent use of the tax payers money.

• Like 4

Bow River Reg:

arrows.giffrom the Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir (includes 500 m of the Highwood River and the 3 Carburn Park Ponds) but excluding all waters in the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (see Inglewood Bird Sanctuary) – Open all year.

circle-filled.jpg Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.

Is this new?

I'm really pleased to see a reg that sets a length maximum instead of a length minimum.

If you mean the 1 trout under 35cm part, it was in there last year. Still, seems like good policy to preserve trophy trout.

Don't be surprised if black nugget is completely devoid of tiger trout when it is "evaluated" on its effectiveness. I heard from a friend whose local to that area that they have been taking a beating and many many fish have been taken home to get freezer burnt and thrown out in a year. Absolute waste of time and money. I can't help but wonder what the government's reaction to these findings will be.

• Like 1

Don't be surprised if black nugget is completely devoid of tiger trout when it is "evaluated" on its effectiveness. I heard from a friend whose local to that area that they have been taking a beating and many many fish have been taken home to get freezer burnt and thrown out in a year. Absolute waste of time and money. I can't help but wonder what the government's reaction to these findings will be.

It's absolute horse *hit.

The biggest issue we faced last year, was the uncertainty of the allowance of aerators on lakes, so instead of stocking them into the lakes they intended to (Muir, I believe Beaver were among the top on the list, quality fisheries) they dumped them into black nugget because they had a higher chance of "surviving" the winter. But then had a much higher chance of being whacked by idiots. However the bloody morons who decided the stocking location couldn't even scrape together the idea of putting them into East Pit instead, where history has shown capability of over wintering big trout even with a 5 trout limit, where motorized crafts aren't allowed, and its actually impossible to launch a boat.

But nope. Throw them in Black nugget, its fine. I dont care....

• Like 1