Fly Fusion Forums

Summer Wading Boots And Shoes

Hey fellas

I was hoping to get some ideas on summer wading shoes... for wet wading.

I was thinking of the Simms streamtread sandals, but fish tales couldn't get them in, and then I started wondering if just a standard water shoe might work just fine (if I could get a thick enough sole on it), on a five-day float down the bow.

Has anyone found a thick soled water shoe that does well on the rocks?

I found my flats boots I bought to fit into my forcefins, had too soft of a soul,

and the feet took a pounding after a while last summer.

Standard wading boots don't fit into the forcefins I have, or I'd probably just get a neoprene sock.

thanks a bunch

Adam

simms riprap wading shoe.

I have gone through 2 pairs, they see a lot of water in a season and take a beating, but I am super tough on gear.

They have pretty good grip on the slippery rocks with a very thick sole. The part I like best as compared to sandals, is rocks will not get into and under your foot.

You can also add cleats for added grip if you so wish.

J

I used to use the Simms sandals for wet wading, but I gave up on them because I was tired of the current forcing gravel and twigs into them. This year I bought a pair of Vapor boots and wet wading socks. I've worn the combo a few times now and I'm much happier. The boots aren't too heavy, have good soles and provide ankle stability for walking to/from the water. Can't speak to the durability yet since I've only worn them for a couple weeks.

Guest bigdirty

I also use a pair of simms vapors. More comfortable than my old pair of headwaters. Lots of grip on the bank and rocks. Good freedom of movement when hiking.

I just buy a slightly smaller pair of wading boots (generally the ones with most leather/ least stitching) and wear an old pair of wool socks and Velcro ankle wraps while wet wading. I don't get rocks/ debris in my boots and I can walk many kilometers while remaining fairly comfortable. Sandals are dangerous, I used to fish that way but ended up with some pretty serious puncture wounds along beaver infested brook trout creeks. Safe while fishing from a boat, not so much if you are going through much woods/ murky water, beaver death trap ponds.

• Like 1

I just buy a slightly smaller pair of wading boots (generally the ones with most leather/ least stitching) and wear an old pair of wool socks and Velcro ankle wraps while wet wading. I don't get rocks/ debris in my boots and I can walk many kilometers while remaining fairly comfortable. Sandals are dangerous, I used to fish that way but ended up with some pretty serious puncture wounds along beaver infested brook trout creeks. Safe while fishing from a boat, not so much if you are going through much woods/ murky water, beaver death trap ponds.

Side note.. those bow river beavers are freakin aggresive this year!

I use the Simms neoprene socks in my wading boots for wet wading. I use a thin athletic sock underneath, just for padding so they fit better and it works great.

You don't HAVE to use socks, but I find that my boots fit better that way, so I do. I find that it keeps your feet MUCH warmer too. Once the initial shock of the cold water gets in there, your body warms it up and then stays body temperature, even when wading further. I love them.

Late to the show... but I have both the sandals and the vapors I really only use the sandals for lake fishing out of a boat as I find even with the closed toes you still tend to get gravel in there other than that a great product as are the Keens. On the river I have a tendency to jump out of the boat at random times and having the support of a full boot is huge.....ditto on the simms wading socks and neoprene booties.....keep in mind the simms booties are a little thicker than the MEC ones so it really depends on foot size I wear a 29.5/11.5 shoe so a 12 in the vapor boot and the little thicker neoprene plus sock make up the extra room whereas I cannot use extra neoprene booties with my G4 waders unless I go to a different boot.