Fly Fusion Forums

Trouble Enticing On The Dry

Hackleness

Hey everyone, I am new to the Calgary area and also new to fly fishing (many years of throwing spinner gear but I have been converted). I have been fishing the bow for a few months now and have caught a few trout (all on nymphs) but have yet to get one on the dry. Last night I was out for 2 hours before dusk and found a decent run where fish were rising consistently. I saw a steady hatch of big caddis and mayflies? (these were swarming my head on the edge of the bank), and tried every dry fly in my box to no avail, including every size EHC I had with me. I had a few fish actually taking flies less than 10 inches from my imitation (or they were approaching mine and turning away at the last second).

Anybody have any general advice on how to improve my chances? Maybe a longer length or smaller diameter tippet? This river sure is humbling to a newbie. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Did you try downsizing (or upsizing) the fly and/or downsizing the tippet?

What about colour? Did you have the correct colour of caddis? Were all your caddis flies the same style?

P

• Like 1

Did you try downsizing (or upsizing) the fly and/or downsizing the tippet?

What about colour? Did you have the correct colour of caddis? Were all your caddis flies the same style?

P

I did try varying the colour and sizes of the EHC. I have colours: black, tan, orange, yellow. Fly size definitely could have been a factor; I think mine were too large. Honestly, I never actually saw fish eating caddis, but with them landing and scurrying around on the water surface I just went with the EHC. I think I need some courses in entomology!

atta boy.

sadly I can't help you with the dry fly advice, sorry.

Yeah I find fly fishing to be far more enjoyable than chucking gear, even when I'm not catching fish.

My advice would be to persevere. This can be a very common frustrating experience on the Bow. Even after over 25 years, I have the same sort of thing happen. You just have to be there the rare day they start taking your dries. When that happens, all the time spent trying will feel worth it.

• Like 1

Other than 'persevere', the best piece of advice that I learned from this sub-forum is to watch the rise forms. Is it splashy? Are you seeing a snout? Are you just seeing a dorsal fin but no snout? These are indicators of where the fish is feeding in the water column. Google/Youtube 'rise forms' to get a much better explanation than I can give.

I find Bow River trout surprisingly finicky. A drag-free drift of your fly is critical if the fish are taking small mayflies, midges, or emergers. Adult caddis and stoneflies will skate across the surface, so you can be a little sloppier when fishing these patterns.

Are you getting refusals---that tell-tale boil just below your fly as it drifts? This is frustrating, but it also means that you are on the right track. It has been mentioned already, but decreasing your tippet diameter may be helpful. There are certainly exceptions, but decreasing fly size is usually a more prudent first approach than increasing it. With caddis, in particular, it is also a good idea to have a number of different sizes and colours. I have had a number of experiences, where the trout would take a tan or black body caddis, but totally refuse the olive (and vice-versa).

Good luck.

Almost surely, it is drag that is your issue. Look up and practice some slack casts. You don't need to see a wake on the fly to have problems with drag. The fish will refuse it long before that.

After you sort that out, then look at messing around with patterns, tippet, etc. I you change everything all at once, when you are successful you won't know why.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice. I will definitely be trying some new emerger patterns and different tippet sizes. I'm persistent!

As for drag on the drift, this is a definite concern since I am relatively new to fly fishing and still have some newbie casts. I will be trying some alternative casts to get slack line drift (have I mentioned that the Orvis youtube videos are amazing?)

I think the biggest issue people have for slack is trying to be too far away. Most Bow River fish will let you within 10 feet if you move slow enough. Slack is easy to come by when you're casting less than 30 feet.

• Like 1

The problem i usually see from most less experienced rods is putting the fly down way to far above where the fish is rising thus decreasing the chance of the fly drifting over the fish and increasing the chance of drag..... put it three to four feet above them as soon as you see them rise this means one quick false cast and put the fly in there before the fish has a chance to move elsewhere in the current... it will take some practice but your takes will increase...