Fly Fusion Forums

Gear Hauling - Vest/backpack/chestpack/?

Hey all. I have a question and moreso asking for opinions on what you use/prefer when you're on the water. Used to use a vest, then when I started going for longer days and thus requiring more gear like lunches, hydration bladder, jacket, etc. I switched to a backpack. Recently after I get off the water my neck and back are sore, it used to happen with the vest ocassionaly too.

Anyone have any suggestions what I might look into next? I have noticed more of these fanny pack looking solutions around but have been out of the market for so long. Something comfortable that doesn't inhibit mobility especially when bushwacking through dence spruce forest I somehow find myself in oh so often. I was looking at the fishpond piney creek tech pack the other day but didn't pull the trigger quite yet.I like the idea of combining the vest and backpack into one, but either the front of the vest doesn't have what I'm looking for or the back "pack"part isnt big enough to hold a hydration bladder, bagged lunch, can of beer or two and a jacket/misc gear.

Let me know fellas. Budget is not really an object on this as being comfortable while having everything you need cannot have a price put on it.

I bought a large 'fanny pack' from MEC a few years ago. gave a couple to buds who also still use them. Holds 1 or 2 water bottles, straps for a rain jacket, room for a bit of lunch, small camera, snacks and a couple fly boxes. Keeps more weight on the hips than back and shoulder too. Rather than 2 bottles I carry 1 and a small Waterworx filter system for stream water - I got as much water as I want. I also wear a mostly empty vest just for the ease of having all the tools and gizmo's in familiar places. That's for outings of more than a couple hours in changeable weather. Sunny days, on water I know, needing only one fly :psssst: just the fanny pack and 'stuff' in pants and shirt pockets.

• Like 1

Thanks Angler. That's the thing, there's days I can get by with the shorts and shirt pockets and then there's days a guy needs to be ready for it to get ugly I just did some more research and came across the fishpond wildhorse pack, I think that might be what I'm looking for.

Just tried to PM you but you cannot accept PMs for some reason.

I have the Tundra tech pack that I would consider selling. A bit too much volume for me and should have bought the piney creek. If you are not big (girth wise -I cut down the hip belt straps as they were way too ong) I would consider selling it if you are interested for a really good pricel?!

Lemme know

Peter

Slingpacks are my preference too, but I also pack as light as I can get away with for the day. In the summer I wear cargo shorts and keep fly boxes in those pockets and wear a smaller sling pack. Patagonia Stormfront and Stealth Atom are what I've been using for the past few years. I've always found that with fanny packs I have to tighten them a lot to keep them from falling down and that ends up being too tight to swing them around to the front easily.

• Like 1

Orvis a Safe Passage Sling here as well.......though I've bern tempted by the Wliiam Jospeh Exedous and the Fishpond Double Haul. Also wondering about the comfort of wearing those for a few hours, so still reading reviews and other's perspectives.

Lornce you might be old school but I'm cheap. I've been using the same setup as Angler for decades An old large North face fanny pack with a couple of bottle holders. It keeps everything together and is weightless on the hips. The old saying goes the bigger the bag the more crap your going the put in it.

2 cents

Orvis a Safe Passage Sling here as well.......though I've bern tempted by the Wliiam Jospeh Exedous and the Fishpond Double Haul. Also wondering about the comfort of wearing those for a few hours, so still reading reviews and other's perspectives.

I have the William Joseph Exodus pack and it's great for the all day fishing outings. Plenty of room for all my gear, lunch, rain jacket, water bladder, etc. Love it for those long days on the water.

For short trips, like a couple hours, I have a Simms headwaters waist pack. When there is no need for all that extra gear, I find the waist pack to be much better suited.

For me anyway.

For short trips, like a couple hours, I have a Simms headwaters waist pack. When there is no need for all that extra gear, I find the waist pack to be much better suited.

This is key. I think a lot of people carry way more gear than they need and it ends up weighing us down. You don't need to be carrying two fly boxes full of hoppers right now, and if you're fishing dries you don't need all those sink tips in your bag. My problem was that I'd forget something at home and not realize until I got to the river. Now I have a backpack that all my stuff fits in and when I get to the river I transfer what I know I'll need into my sling. That way worst case I can head back to my vehicle and grab something I forgot.

• Like 2

If your neck and back are getting sore then you don't have the backpack adjusted properly. I wear a backpack all the time and have no issues. You need to adjust the shoulder straps and waist strap so more of the weight is on your hips and not pulling down on your shoulders/neck.

• Like 2

I like to practice the the 7ps.

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

That being said, I've streamlined my fly collection to the point where I only fish a grand total of about 10 different flies dries and streamers included. It's rare that I carry much beyond line, flies, foreceps, water, maybe one leader and maybe a camera.

I've mostly used a hip pack, but i think i'm switching to a sling pack here shortly. Likely the fishpond sling.

If your neck and back are getting sore then you don't have the backpack adjusted properly. I wear a backpack all the time and have no issues. You need to adjust the shoulder straps and waist strap so more of the weight is on your hips and not pulling down on your shoulders/neck.

This is true. I have made adjustments often and it does help but does not completely eliminate the stress on one area, I think it's also just a cheap pack. I invested the money in a fishpond wildhorse tech pack, but you guys definitely have me thinking about the sling and hip packs for short days now too.

• Like 1