Fly Fusion Forums

2015 Proposed Bow River Changes

Go here for all proposed changes.

http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/fisheries-management/documents/Proposed2015AnglingChanges-Nov28-2014.pdf

Now I think they made a mistake. They have Bowriver (bearspaw to Carseland) listed as PP2 when it should be ES1.

But if it is a mistake and they are proposing the changes I think they are then this will mean big changes for the popular floats. see point 2

1) 0 retention for all species

2) fall closure Oct 1- Nov 31 to protect brown trout

Although I float and fish quite a bit in these months, I am not against giving the browns a break to do their thing.

Interesting however is that they are not doing the same for rainbows in the spring. Which leads me to postulate that they have realized the browns have taken a hit in last couple of years (flood, sapro, low water fluctuations)

I'm really supportive of all these changes. Anyone that keeps something out of the Bow probably regrets it once they fry it up. While I love October floats, I'm happy to sacrifice them if it means more protection for the Browns. There are plenty of other fisheries to hit up at that time of year anyways.

I'm glad to see they are finally doing something to address McGregor and Travers. I knew things had gotten bad there, but I didn't realize it was that bad.

I agree with the changes that could be but I think also a big problem is many actually don't know the regs for the bow see a lot of guys spin casting with bait and guys fishing fish creek during closure so maybe high pressure areas they should add in signage for these individuals.

Thank you for posting this some good info on there.

It is an angler's responsibility every time they wet a line that they know what the regs are for a given body of water. Signs would be very helpful, but there are plenty of people who still chose to ignore those. We met a CO on the river last year that told us there are two dedicated officers that cover the Calgary City Limits to the Bassano Dam...that's 200 km of river. These new regs are a step in the right direction, but holding anglers accountable is still going to be very difficult.

On the positive side, looks like the restrictions are good news regarding reaction to what is happening in those bodies of water. Of course, the bad news is that these are mostly reactive, in response to species being in trouble there in the first place.

I agree with the changes that could be but I think also a big problem is many actually don't know the regs for the bow see a lot of guys spin casting with bait and guys fishing fish creek during closure so maybe high pressure areas they should add in signage for these individuals.

Thank you for posting this some good info on there.

...but calling RAP on those guys is SO satisfying!

While a rest in the fall can't be a bad thing for the fishery, I doubt they have any significant evidence showing fall fishing effort effects recruitment of catchable browns in subsequent years. I expect our guiding industry will push back pretty hard on this.

While a rest in the fall can't be a bad thing for the fishery, I doubt they have any significant evidence showing fall fishing effort effects recruitment of catchable browns in subsequent years. I expect our guiding industry will push back pretty hard on this.

Anyone in the guiding industry with some credibility will be standing up and cheering for it. While not able to show the direct correlation, I would be hard pressed to find a guide who was happy about the Sapro issue the last few years..

Alberta fisheries management does not have a lot of significant evidence for any changes, budgets are tighter than anyone can imagine and they are very short staffed, it's not going to improve soon. They would have evidence about catch-ability increasing during the spawn, and they would have evidence of redds being trampled (that is unfortunately pretty easy to find on any stream in Alberta), so information can support the changes even if it's not super specific. I understand the changes mentioned are basically in stone. I discussed a few of the proposed changes with regional managers and understand some tough decisions will have to be made, I don't envy the guys needing to make the call on such limited data. The good news is there are some other changes not mentioned in that document that may greatly benefit fly fishing opportunity in Alberta, hopefully budget cuts don't stop the positive progress.

Alberta- That's good they have the power to stand their ground. I also don't envy them and was alluding to the poor funding wih my comments.

Any insight into the other changes you mentioned?

A few people mentioned other opportunities in that period? I feel like I'm out of the loop. Nov in AB doesn't have a lot of options. Given decent weather, I expect the remaining options to be a zoo.

How many brown redds are below Policeman's? Seems to me that a closure from Bearspaw to Policeman's would be sufficient to protect spawners. Anyone have access to fall redd counts?

I've seen a few, but certainly not like the city section. I agree, close it from Deerfoot extender up.

I followed up with ESRD for more info but haven't heard back. Seems that this indicated there was to be a public response period, but I don't remember seeing one.

Love to see the "science" justifying a closure in the lower reaches. Great idea to protect redds....but is there ANY below the Highwood? How many from Policeman's to the Highwood?. October afternoons can be good for feeding BWOs to sipping rainbows. Management should be backed by some facts.

How many brown redds are below Policeman's? Seems to me that a closure from Bearspaw to Policeman's would be sufficient to protect spawners. Anyone have access to fall redd counts?

Monger

My thoughts exactly. Perhaps it is more difficult to create a new identified boundary hence the overall closure to Carseland?

I respect the closure as it will definetly recoop the recently lost brown trout population. It is however unfortunate as October was one of my favorite times to fish the river. The fish have reached maximum mass and the river has reduced pressure at that time. Most outdoorsmen are steelheading and hunting.

Dean