Fly Fusion Forums

Goofy Things U Bought

Getting bored and restless recovering from a small surgery and it got me thinking,what are some of the less than really needed things you've bought as the result of being a fly fisherman or fisherman for that matter?

What have you told yourself , you know well... I'm into this.. and if I had this.... well I think... It would be pretty good?

I'll start.

I've always thought wind & flyfishing don't mix, cursed it every time it blew a hurricane, you know you never say the W word!

So I went out and bought an anemometer,saw it on myth busters you know one of those gadgets that measures wind speed.

I figured some how that if I knew what speed the wind was blowing..... you know... It would be better?

I've got all sorts of useless crap collecting dust as a result of this hobby .

What have you got ?

• Like 1

Then there was the gear net retractor, humm, well built and solid, it was a combination of budgie cord and reel retractor. Looked like a famous idea at the time. I was confident that I would grab it and like a miracle the net would leap in my hand to put under that big brown and upon release the net would carefully reel back behind me. Brilliant, I installed it on net and vest collar ring. The net zipped nicely behind me. Fantastic... I was proud of my buy and felt clever with myself that this would be with me for life. I patted myself on the back for my great choice.

Below me, I could see the stream, sparkling in the early morning sun. Just a few hundred yards to go through some brush and I would be throwing big dry flies to hungry browns. I wound my way through the trees toward an opening in the woods. For an instant I somehow sensed that something was amiss then I staggered, blinded and saw stars, had to hold on to a tree and sit down, dizzy as hell. That diabolical device had carefully caught my net on a bush and reeled out bungie cord calculating exact distance and elastic pressure + speed, the result was a wooden net traveling at warp speed like the starship enterprise toward the back of my head. My trusted net had turned against me like a device out of the Acme Products that Wile E. Coyote depends on.

I was so disgusted I took the device off and hung it from a tree branch to haunt some other unfortunate. Spent the rest of the day favouring a lump the size of a goose egg. Lesson learned the hard way.

• Like 9

Had a lariat do that once when the honda broke except all the knots on my body came from the horse that ran me over after he bucked me off when the stretched out nylon rope rebound and hit him in the tailhead. Don't ever use the cheap aluminum hondas when turning 1500lb animals.

• Like 2

most useless thing I purchased was the mosquito annoyer by William Joseph. The thought of there being a high pitched noise to drive away the skeeters and not have to bathe in repellant was too much to take and for only ten bucks, I thought it was worth the gamble. Ten bucks I will never get back. Such is life.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...