Fly Fusion Forums

How To Set The Hook The Right Way?

In the last 10 days of fishing on the Bow I had many strikes but the fish shakes it's head side to side and the hook is out. I've been told to raise the fly rod and pull on the line hard as if you were to pull its head off. I seem to only land fish that take the hook and swim away from me. :(

sounds like you are hooking the fish and then losing them. It's not a hookset issue as much as I would think that you are not applying enough pressure to a hooked fish. Get to know how much pressure it takes to break a fish off. Then continually get as close to that ALL the time you are playing a fish. Loose line = goodbye fish. Tight line stretched to it's limits = 80% plus of hooked fish to the net for me. Probably even higher average overall. Lay the wood to em! It does two things #1 - you land more fish #2 - the fish don't get exhausted during the fight and you get them in quicker resulting in a better release

• Like 2

It happens when I use nymphs and more so when using drys that I lose the fish usually in the first 2-4 seconds. I do well with streamers. :/

Maybe add more drag on the reel? When I hook a fish I tend to hold the line and when the fish pulls and I try to pull the energy stored in the line dislodges the hook from the fishes mouth? When the fish takes maybe I should just let the fish take the line?

I've been told to raise the fly rod and pull on the line hard as if you were to pull its head off.

Eeesh, your looking to bust a rod tip or some section, especially if ya hook bottom while nymphing and set. Some good advise above. As mentioned, I just simply lift the rod tip and apply pressure and they are on most the time, keep in mind just how sharp your hook is, doesn't take much to penetrate a trouts mouth, with that being said, check your hook regularly , be surprises how many times your hook point is dull or bent over and needs sharpening... Keep at er' Bud, fish will come to hand....

Cheers... Jeff..

• Like 1

Might simply be late hook sets. When nymphing, set on anything and everything that changes your indie's drift speed or direction. Add more weight to your rig until you start stalling frequently on bottom. Then set man... set... quickly.

• Like 2

Yup, what Toolman said. A late hook set will result in poor hook placement or fowl hooking. Add heavy pressure after that and you loose fish. Lots of them.

You should be halfway through your hook set by the time the idea "is that a fish" passes through your head. Set on everything, even randomly. It will get you in the groove.

• Like 1

Maybe this will help.

He doesn't mention it, and while you are trout fishing... Don't trout set while streamer fishing . Strip set!

Over the last couple weeks, I have been away from trout fishing. For all other forms of fly fishing (including top-water), the 'trout-set' is a bad habit. I began to learn how bad the reflex was bonefishing (is 'bonefishing' even a word?).

Is there any good reason why someone should not add a small strip set to all trout hook setting?

Guest bigdirty

I find it hard not to strip a little on the set. The rod hand moves, and the line hand usually stays down. Feel the weight and strip strip strip to establish contact. All the while, I try to move my feet down stream. Rod tip low, using the current to eliminate slack and apply some downstream pressure. Getting below the fish, as it fights the line and current, leads to a quick landing.

Though I refuse to fish with a bobber. I like to feel a definite tug before I will ever lift the tip. Spent many years trying to teach friends to wait for that tug when dry flying because in a lot of cases the fish will roll your fly first. Inexperienced dry fly fishermen will pull that fly out of reach. That's just my two cents

• Like 1

Dry fly can be tough. To me it all depends on the fish and how it is rising. If they are smashy takes you can normally set the hook really soon after the strike. If the fish is slowly and delicately sipping bugs off the top, and you see a slow swish of the tail after every snout that comes up, you'd best wait a FULL second after the nose submerges with your fly. Fish that are gobbling everything up in a "rise every two seconds or less" mode can normally be struck on as soon as the nose is down back under the water after it was your fly the fish grabbed. Study the rise to determine the length of wait time on the set. Do NOT set, EVER, before the fish has gone back down. It's mouth is still open sucking in water and the fly when it is on the surface and if you strike then you are going to miss 95% or more of your takes, and spook quality chances at fish.