Fly Fusion Forums

What Is Your Dream Fishing Trip, Summer Or Winter

If money was no object....Kola Penninsula,Russia for MONSTER Atlantics.....well into 5 figures $$ for that trip....sigggghhhh :(

Getting back to reality...maybe a week each exploring NFLD's northern penn and eastern Lab?

And/or...entire month of Sept on Skeena system,starting with exploring the hidden,off the beaten track little known gems on the coast,and working my way back uphill for the grande finale,skating dries on Bulkley.

Reality check #4....I'm gonna have to be quite satisfied (and fortunate)to make 2 trips to Skeena this year,spring and fall,with the better part of 2weeks in July on Miramichi in between.

I like salmon....ALOT.....some might think I have a problem?

• Like 2

Dream trip? Can't just have one....how bout 3?

-New Zealand....I'll need 3 weeks

-Patagonia.....4 weeks required

-Kamchatka.....actually scratch that one for awhile given current events, I'm thinking God's River, Manitoba instead....

My dream trip was fly fishing for bonefish in some mangroves. I accomplished it this winter. Now I cannot stop dreaming about it. i caught fish, but it did make me feel like a complete newbie. Casting in the ocean wind really tests one's mettle. Also 8 hours in caribbean sun is a true test for a borderline albino like myself. Awesome time. I just dream about going back again, with winds less than 40km/h

• Like 1

Scel, where in the carib did you go for the bone? I would love to try Cuba, as I hear they are less spooked by the newbie slapping the line on the water.

I went to Cuba. It was one of the best days of my life. I caught 8 fish over the 8 hours (7 bones and 1 small barracuda). I saw and could cast to no less than 100 fish. I caught the barracuda with my line just dragging in the water. at 12" he was not really the prize we were looking for.

On the bow, I give myself a B to B+ in casting. I operate well out of my taper (I do not like using split shot). It is not graceful, but I can cast a size 20 with a 6wt rod and catch fish. On the flats, I was a D- to D caster. Very humbling.

I spooked no less than 50 bonefish with crappy casting (a good sidearm cast will help cut the wind and not flash your rod around---I do not get much a chance to practice a side arm here).

I full on missed 30 bonefish, because of crappy casting. It is so much harder casting to where you think the the fish will be than where you last saw it (like a trout). Fish on the flats are almost always moving. Predicting where you have to land the fly and then accommodating for an unrelenting 40km/h crosswind is easily the hardest casting that I have ever done. I removed my fly out of my clothes 3 times.

Out of those casts, I had 20 'good' casts. I had about 15 hook-ups, but the guide insisted that a gentler strip-set was the way to set the hook. It was hard to keep the 'lift the rod' habit tamed. But man, when you genuinely hook into a bonefish, it is so awesome. Even the little guys (like 16") will scream out the line for 50-60m (usually twice). The big guys will easily run for a 100m.

It was a long treacherous drive into the national park in the south east portion, but totally worth it. Apparently Bonefish are not as popular as the tarpon (which you can also catch in the river system). I think it is because you more or less *have* to use fly gear for the bones, but you can use spin gear for tarpon.

And I saw an ocelot. Best day ever.

• Like 1

Dream trip? Can't just have one....how bout 3?

-New Zealand....I'll need 3 weeks

-Patagonia.....4 weeks required

-Kamchatka.....actually scratch that one for awhile given current events, I'm thinking God's River, Manitoba instead....

Was thinking of fishing God's lake/river this year, have you fished it?

Guest bigdirty

Right now my dream trip includes some brookies and bulls. exact location not important. looking to expand the species caught list.

• Like 1

Was thinking of fishing God's lake/river this year, have you fished it?

No, but I first read of it in the Nick Karas book many moons ago, and have always always wanted to go. As far as trips go, it is not as expensive as some might think.......

Vagabond re: Kola Peninsula. An acquaintance of mine works the deep underground iron mines in Kiruna, in the far north of Sweden. He let me in on an amusing secret a few years ago, namely that ordinary middle-class Russians and non-rich Swedes go and fish the exact same water in the Kola Peninsula as the Euros and North Americans who pay $6,000 or whatever it is a week. They drive up to the Kola Peninsula and then stay in (much) rougher camps just down the river from the fancy ones, eating simpler food, and if I remember right paying about $1,500 for the week.

In order to book, you'd probably need a Russian-speaking friend to surf the web for the Russian-language guiding outfits and camps catering to those folks...but it might make the trip of a lifetime affordable.

I'm looking forward to float a couple of lakes in Jasper again this summer, i hope to beat my pr, a 4 lbs rainbow on Maligne lake and a 3lbs rainbow on the Maligne river. By the time we go back home again i hope the water level at Medecine lake will be low enough to give it a go. Since a couple of days i'm also the proud owner of a Sage vxp and i can't wait to fight some nice trout on it :)

Greetzzz

Zuggbugg

Netherlands