Fly Fusion Forums

Last Fly Fishing Trip To End The Season - Suggestions Please

abff

Hey,

Does anyone have any general suggestions for a location for an end of the season Fly Fishing weekend? I'm not looking for your hot spots, just a general body of water or location. I don't have a particular date set yet. Let's assume mid October. I don't know how many people will be coming with me, let's assume few guys plus me, so 4 in total. It should be a reasonable driving distance from Calgary. Let's also assume no one has a boat, belly boat, or pontoon, so walk and wade it is. I would prefer not to sleep in a tent and I don't have a camper, so we'll need to hotel it.

I would love to catch some cutts, as I haven't caught those before.

Anyways, I figure I would just throw out my line to see if I get any hits.

Thanks in Advance,
airdrienff

In my opinion our season here is short and it is not time to wrap it up just yet. There have been October's that had tons of bluebird days, no need to get up early, mosquitoes and wasps and deer flies mostly dead incredible scenery and crowds mostly gone. Day trips are great when shared with friends. I'm a hopeless addict so for me it's never over but the fall can be a great time of year to flyfish.

• Like 1

How about the Missouri at Craig, Montana? Drive via Cardston, 464 to Browning, then down to Choteau, total drive about 5 hours from the south end of Calgary, a very quiet border crossing, lovely mountain views nearly the entire way.

October is BWO month on the Missouri, so great dry fly action, great nymphing, good streamer fishing. The fly shops rent driftboats for about $150/day including shuttle. Flows are low and the river is very wadeable. Accommodation is generally a bit pricey, but there are many options up and down the river including B&B's, catered houses, all-inclusive lodges, rustic cabins, etc.

Fished it with a guide a week ago and it was great from ramp to ramp (although still pre-BWO).