Fly Fusion Forums

Simms Freestone Boots

I'm not the kind of person to do this but I'll be damned if these aren't the best set of wading boots I've owned thus far. Ordered 'em up from Cabelas in WPG in April, probably got 20 days on 'em so far, and they are comfortable, durable, look good, feel good, and grip very well. (Felt bottom). Just wanted to let anyone know if they are looking for new boots that these are HIGHLY recommended and I paid less than 125 shipped to my door from Winnipeg (a fair bit better than the shops local to me, and cowtown). Awesome Awesome product, they are built far better than the Korkers I struggled with for the last three seasons, seams all coming apart, laces breaking, soles wearing too fast, etc.

I'm not the kind of person to do this but I'll be damned if these aren't the best set of wading boots I've owned thus far. Ordered 'em up from Cabelas in WPG in April, probably got 20 days on 'em so far, and they are comfortable, durable, look good, feel good, and grip very well. (Felt bottom). Just wanted to let anyone know if they are looking for new boots that these are HIGHLY recommended and I paid less than 125 shipped to my door from Winnipeg (a fair bit better than the shops local to me, and cowtown). Awesome Awesome product, they are built far better than the Korkers I had for the last three seasons, seams all coming apart, laces breaking, soles wearing too fast, etc.

Korkers are garbage, made the mistake of buying them twice. Simms is the only way to go if you put many miles on your boots.

• Like 1

Ha just what I wanted to hear after buying a set of korkers. I do love the omni trax system with the ability to swap out the soles.

Oh well I will where them until destruction and then explore a set of simms following that.

Ha just what I wanted to hear after buying a set of korkers. I do love the omni trax system with the ability to swap out the soles.

Oh well I will where them until destruction and then explore a set of simms following that.

Muffin,

I thought that would be the cats ass when I bought mine too - Never ever used the vibram once, and make sure the soles are aways on tight. Lost a felt sole once off one boot while I was fishing and didn't notice til it was probably a few kms downstream. You can imagine what a bitch it was trying to get a hold of korkers mfg and asking for one left omni-trax felt sole in a 14. LOL.

That is a good tip, thanks for sharing it. Part of me wonders how much I will use the system as well. I suppose if I ever hit up a river system that doesn't allow felt might be the only time.

I have the korkers river sheds and find that I change the soles quite frequently. I have studded felts for the bow, big lug studded for the winter and rubber for hiking in the mountains. Awesome and convenient. In my opinion. Had them going on three seasons now. Showing wear, like any would, but holding up fine.

Thanks for the tip. I may get a pair. I am on my second pair of korkers and they are falling apart again after only one and a half seasons of use. I really like the korkers system, but they just aren't durable enough.

• Like 1

I hike a bunch. My first pair of Simms lasted me almost 7 yrs. Uppers were still good but sole bed was gone and they had shrunk about a 1/2 size over time. I still wear Simms.

• Like 1

Freestones are well named.

My first day wearing them in Jumping Pound 14 mths ago I was really Impressed,crossing heavy "freestone" water running hard in June up to my thighs with more confidence than ever before(Vibram sole),I was anchored to streambed,no worries........got 50-60 days on them since then,just like new....solid boot,really grabs the gravel good.

• Like 1

I usually go one size over regular shoes size for wading boots, how did the sizing work out for you folks?

I wear a 12-13-14 depending on brand. I wore a 14 korkers but simms I wear a 13 and it fits perfectly with the booty on the wader - wet wading i wear wool socks, some guys buy those neoprene socks. A tiny tiny bit of room but not enough that you're goona slam your toes with every step. In conclusion, I would suggest getting one size larger. The beauty thing with Cabelas and probably some local shops is you can exchange them if they don't fit. Always a gamble buying footwear online but I think I've got it down now.

I wear 11-12 footwear depending on brand,sz12 Simms is very good fit over neo wader bootys.Also quite impressed with how easily they slip on/slip off,the tongue opens up nice and wide so your not struggling in/out of them like I have in the past with other brands.

• Like 1