Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Clean-Up

I'd love to know when the clean-up will be organized for this year, and where it will take place. I'd also like to talk to whoever is in charge of organizing this year as I would like to donate a trip to be doled out to a participant in the clean-up.

Thanks,

Brian

• Like 2

Hmm, maybe we could get something together? We sort of lost the unity of the streamwatch auctions that I thought pulled this little community of ours together a bit for a good cause, perhaps a couple of large FFC "conclaves" with cleanup and a BBQ and some fishing a couple times a year could take place? We can all bring our own garbage bags, perhaps a few of ya with jet boats wouldn't mind bringing the bags back to a boat launch and we could co-ordinate with the county or city of those times where there would be extra garbage disposal needs. Has anyone organized anything of this size before? I did a couple of small scale cleanups back in the early to mid 2000's where it was just me and a handfull of friends and even clientelle that wanted to come help.

THEICEMAN (Matt) and his wife organized the last one I participated in 3 or 4 maybe 5 years ago (1st time I met Rick, Max, L2K, Murray, Cheeler, Bcubed, Cdone, Dune and a few others). Did a really good job too! Got a lot of sponsorship (interesting that most if not all was from non sponsoring shops and organizations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Had great draw prizes (won myself a $400 Bauer reel) and food from Spoumbos! Pictures are up on here somewhere!! Held it out at Policemen's flats b/c of some provincial park regs, if I remember correctly... And the bbq at FCP. Quite a few went from Glenmore down, 22x up and down, and both sides of Policemen's Flats!

Think you are thinking if this Brian:

http://www.shorelinecleanup.ca/

I think Bow River shuttles also organizes a Blue Ribbon bow cleanup in conjunction with the aforementioned national cleanup.

City of Calgary also does a spring pathway and river cleanup.

But I think you're onto something, no reason there couldn't be more.

What kind of day would be good for everyone, a weekend date? I am thinking maybe a saturday or a sunday in May? I can try and organize a gathering... BYOB... lol bring your own bags... we'll make a big pile by one of the launches and notify the city or county that it will be there. :)

I would be availbable to haul bags of garbage to take out points with my jet as well. Weekend works best for me. I think this is a great plan and one that I would support wholeheartedly. We could bring a bbq down and enjoy a hot dog or something on the grill, and make it a day of getting to know new friends and doing something positive and productive for the river. Count me in,

Cgyguy

How does May 12 work for everyone? I think it'd give enough time to plan, and would be a good time with the water still low. BBQ sounds awesome... wonder if we could reserve a spot at Fish Creek Park or we could all just find one of those fire pits that are not occupied and have a huge wiener roast after. I think cleanup from around 8am until 2pm or so would be great, then we eat and go fishing?

I could round up a box or 2 (100per) large orange or yellow garbage bags to donate again. I will do what I can to make the trip in too. (baby and momma permitting)

Here are some pics from the one we did in 2007 - was awesome meeting you guys face-to-face !

DSCF0481_zpsdf680eca.jpg

DSCF0480_zps010069bb.jpg

DSCF0479_zps379907d9.jpg

DSCF0478_zpsd062d973.jpg

DSCF0477_zps6ae152c9.jpg

Count me in for May 12th also. It seems to me everyone on this board uses the river to some degree. Most would be willing to pitch in I think. I like Policeman's Flats for the BBQ idea. I can provide a BBQ and a few hot dogs and such. Got a motor home with fridge we could set up in the parking lot.

Murray

Guest Grinr

I'll pitch in,probly volunteer a kid or two also.

I also agree that PF might be the best location?That way we could have a drifter or two bring trash down and the jets bringn trash up from below?

When we did this before, several of us went to our favorite walk and wade sections and pulled out trash. I suppose we could coordinate and drift boats could come by and pick up? Or the walkers could just pull it out themselves. We all met in FC after for some giveaways, a bbq, etc. Several of the shops contributed prizes as well as some individuals. It was actually a really nice day.